Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Please critique my Friday evening plans in the city

So, here's what I was thinking... wait for my girl to get off work at 6, jump on the Tunnel Bus and grab dinner at Spago Ristorante Italiano in Windsor's "Little Italy." After stuffing our faces, walk over to the Honest Lawyer and grab a quick cocktail. Get back on the Tunnel Bus and shoot back to Detroit. Take the People Mover over to the new Sky Bar Lounge in Capitol Park and drink a glass or two of respectable scotch, perhaps do a little dancing. Give the bartender decent gratuity, then walk over to D'Mongos and get rocked on Ghettoblaster until closing time. Next, swing by Lafayette for a late night snack to stuff our faces with coney. Lastly, walk home and plop myself onto the bed and snore like like an elephant.

Usually, I'm a dive bar kind of guy, but I haven't been over to Windsor in a while, and I really want to check out the new lounge in Capitol Park. D'mongos and Lafayette are pretty much staples, so I'm throwing them in for good measure. Any suggestions or constructive criticism? So far, I think my plan is ingenious. See any flaws?

1. wait to see the service before assuming a "decent gratuity" for the bartender

2. you? - girlfriend/wife? - plot yourself onto bed and go to sleep? how long have you been married?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    1. wait to see the service before assuming a "decent gratuity" for the bartender

2. you? - girlfriend/wife? - plot yourself onto bed and go to sleep? how long have you been married?
    Haha. Long-time girlfriend, but once I've had my coney I am usually out for the count! The chili + beer coma is tough to overcome, even for some good romanticism.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Haha. Long-time girlfriend, but once I've had my coney I am usually out for the count! The chili + beer coma is tough to overcome, even for some good romanticism.
    I would say careful with ANY type of romanticism having a belly full of beer and coneys...

LOL! Well there's always the morning-after, once all the dining has had a chance to settle ----
    Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post

Sounds great. And reminds me I haven't been to Spago in a couple of years. It's time...

Any suggestions
    Stock up on Alka Seltzer.

Does anyone know how often the tunnel bus gets searched? I came over the border last month, got detained and interrogated for 2 hours with no explanation, and then watched the entire tunnel bus group go through the same thing

Its been a long time since I've been to Spago, but I seem to remember there were better choices. I went to both the Trattoria and the fancy one on the Second Floor but was not too impressed. La Contessa and Il Gabbiano offered better meals back then.

Don't forget coffee at Sorrento's Cafe. This is the dive bar of coffee houses.

The bars in Windsor are far to young for me. I won't comment on them because my comments would be something like 'these young whipper snappers with their bump bbump bump music... back in the 1980's we knew how to have a good time, not like this crap....'

Make sure you've got proper documentation.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-15-11 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions! I might consider Tratorria, maybe make a game-day-decision. My girl and I both just got our Enhanced Drivers Licenses in the mail, so I'm anxious to see how it goes at the border. According to the U.S. State Department, an EDL is a substitute for a passport when traveling between the U.S. to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean Islands.

1. Skip Lafayette afterwards--though they are the preferred coney island.
    2. If you get hungry at D'mongo's, ask them to sell you a side order of black-eyed peas.