Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wayne Count Port Authority Terminal

Does anyone know when the terminal and the riverwalk in front of the terminal will open. The work on it has been completed including the part of the riverwalk in front of it. What is the wait?

LOL.... maybe they're waiting for all the "i"s to be dotted.... "t"s to be crossed... and... kickbacks to be paid...

I know there's one more structure requiring completion. It has nothing to do with the terminal or riverwalk, but I'm sure would require partial blocking of the riverwalk

I'm going to be on the first Boblo Boat off if it!

It took something like ten months to build the Fisher Building and almost five years to not complete a two story boondoggle. Sigh

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    It took something like ten months to build the Fisher Building and almost five years to not complete a two story boondoggle. Sigh
    The Fisher building did not use federal funds and was built pre-NEPA.

OI was just at the Riverwalk this afternoon. Everythings looks completed. There were even people walking on the inside of the terminal. The riverwalk part could open if work is still being done on ther terminal itself. There were an article which had stated that the terminal will open in June. June is here. Speaking of buildings; it had only taken 18 months to build the empire state building in 1931. Four years to erect the World Trade Centers structures.Four years to complete the RenCen. I think that the delay in opening the terminal and the riverwalk goes beyond it being funded by the feds. It is probably part of the inadequacies of city government

There were also thousands of workers and virtually no safety regulations back then either I would assume. That just may have expedited things a bit

There's a public school that went up near me. 3 stories and pretty interesting architecture [[entire thing is clad in stainless steel)....so it aint no simple box. It took about 6 months from start to finish. So you can still build stuff very quickly. Just depends on the project and who is involved I guess.

will there be a passenger ferry to Windsor, finally? Something you can take your bikes on too?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I think that the delay in opening the terminal and the riverwalk goes beyond it being funded by the feds. It is probably part of the inadequacies of city government
    The City does not own the dock. It is owned by the Port Authority. The biggest delay in the project came from it needing to be re-engineered due to the Bates outfall.

Just wanted to post a follow up that this opened on Friday. Nice to have this section of the riverwalk back open.

Pure Michigan is reporting that the first cruise ship is docking at the port tomorrow and doing a shore excursion into downtown Detroit. If you didn't know, tall ships and ferry boats have been docking there for the past several weeks. So far, the dock seems like it is being well-used.

I will say that tomorrow is kind of a bad time to be docking on the Riverwalk. The first sight of Detroit the visitors will get is the half-torn-down mess of Ford Auditorium. Hopefully, Adamo won't flip another earth mover.

GUSHI Guest

Thet better watch out for the pirates.