Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mitt "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" Romney Campaigns in Metro Detroit

It was announced recently that Michigan's economy grew by 3% last year - 15th best in the US. Thousands are being hired by the auto industry, the "Detroit" to which Mitt Romney was referring when he authored a New York Time op ed piece entitled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" when we were flat on our backs in 2008.

The auto companies are profitable, paying back the loans that saved them, generating revenue for the state and hundreds of thousands of jobs here and nationally have been saved.

Now he's baa-aack asking us to make him President. For a candidate whose strong suite is allegedly his business acumen, how can he even show his face around here? Would he be here had his advice been heeded?

You gotta love politicians.

Default Mitt

Mitt tries to be all things to all voters. Not uncommon among those seeking votes. His 2008 position would have devastated families in the Detroit metro and beyond.

Pump priming is essential to getting an economy running during a Great Recession. The recovery has been uneven. For the wealthiest among us, it is fading in the rear view mirror. For the rest it has been mostly a "jobless recovery." Consumer spending is about 2/3 of GDP. Put $ in peoples' pockets and they WILL create a demand for goods and services.

Big Business is sitting on trillions in cash. They are NOT using it to put people to work. Why? Because without a DEMAND for goods and services, senior decision makers believe it would be stupid to do so. Pump priming was the right response. Romney doesn't get it.

Actually in reading Mitt's op-ed piece its unfortunate that he chose the title of the piece. Much of what he said in the article was done by the Obama Administration. I believe by the tone and title of the article he was trying to be the Repub free market guy, but once you get into the article he said some things that the auto companies needed to come to grips with and Obama made them come to grips with before they got the bailout money. Mitt will now come to Mi and try and take credit for the managed bankruptcy part of his article and deny that he meant what he said with the title of the article.

I liked his idea's during the primary in regards to the auto industry. He wanted to give X amount a year to the Big Three for research and development during his presidency. I believe he spoke about it at Detroit Economic Growth.
    Here is my problem with Romney, he's a total flip-flopper. This time he turned his back on his hometown. Good Luck Mitt..

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    I liked his idea's during the primary in regards to the auto industry. He wanted to give X amount a year to the Big Three for research and development during his presidency. I believe he spoke about it at Detroit Economic Growth.
    Here is my problem with Romney, he's a total flip-flopper. This time he turned his back on his hometown. Good Luck Mitt..
    Kind of like he's trying to backtrack on his Mass. healthcare plan while bragging about it at the same time.

He needs to take his "Punk _ss" back to Mass.

is prejudice against mormons as serious as some pundits claim?

No, just against morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    It was announced recently that Michigan's economy grew by 3% last year - 15th best in the US. Thousands are being hired by the auto industry, the "Detroit" to which Mitt Romney was referring when he authored a New York Time op ed piece entitled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" when we were flat on our backs in 2008.

The auto companies are profitable, paying back the loans that saved them, generating revenue for the state and hundreds of thousands of jobs here and nationally have been saved.

Now he's baa-aack asking us to make him President. For a candidate whose strong suite is allegedly his business acumen, how can he even show his face around here? Would he be here had his advice been heeded?

You gotta love politicians.
    Sorry Lowell, you're drinking the kool-aid and buying into what [[in this case, demican) politicians are marketing. Without a doubt there's bits of good news hidden behind all of this stuff - there always is. But ignoring the bad news - still there in obvious abundance, and highlighting only bits of good news is exactly what politicians do to serve their own ends. And I can and will speak to it personally. Romney undoubtedly deserves to be called out. I'm sure you'll highlight my 'cup half empty as opposed to cup half full' attitude, as you call it, but you'll also be ignoring that I've invested much in this time and in this economy. Not the trademarks of a 'cup half empty' guy, as you maintain. I volunteer, remain active in my community and I refuse to be bullshitted. Call it what you like, and I love your personal gentle nature, but you risk sounding just like one of those politicians when you buy into and repeat their propaganda. I don't expect you to lay into them as I do, you're a very high-profile businessman and a moderator, but come on.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; June-08-11 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    What do you think? Magic underpants? God appearing in New York? Christians [[so they claim) holding multiple wives? That's called polygamy? They may have renounced much of this stuff, but not all that long ago. And for what purpose? To become politically and religiously palatable? To stop the laughing and prejuduce? This is on par with Elijah's version of Muslimism. Only it's okay to laugh at and dispense with them because they're Black. Sarcasm intended.

Would you vote for someone who believes the moon broke off from the earth and humans came to the earth a quarter of a million years ago on spaceships?

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Would you vote for someone who believes the moon broke off from the earth and humans came to the earth a quarter of a million years ago on spaceships?
    Actually, the prevailing theory on the formation of the Moon is that it DID break away from the Earth, due to the impact of a very large [[Mars-sized) planetoid billions of years ago.

But yeah, the rest is hogwash.

What's the difference between Romney stating that the big three should go through bankruptcy and Obama forcing 2 of big 3 into bankruptcy? Obama forced exactly what Romney was pushing for.

The only reason the government was involved is due to the fact the big three couldn't get bankruptcy financing from the failing banks to get out of bankruptcy.

And as for electing mormon, We already elect people who believe a man who could walk on water and cure all that ails us, was killed, rose from the dead and dissapeared in the sky 40 days later. How far out of whack can he be if he only adds in a few more implausible beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    What's the difference between Romney stating that the big three should go through bankruptcy and Obama forcing 2 of big 3 into bankruptcy? Obama forced exactly what Romney was pushing for.

The only reason the government was involved is due to the fact the big three couldn't get bankruptcy financing from the failing banks to get out of bankruptcy.

And as for electing mormon, We already elect people who believe a man who could walk on water and cure all that ails us, was killed, rose from the dead and dissapeared in the sky 40 days later. How far out of whack can he be if he only adds in a few more implausible beliefs.
    All very good points. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Do the Mormons believe that or the Scientologists? So many hair-brained beliefs to keep track of. Someone should ask Mitt if he believes that Jesus came to America.
    Just how crazy are his beliefs. Every candidate should have to get quizzed on their beliefs and how crazy they are.

DetroitPole Guest

A soulless, magic underwear-wearing corporation-disguised-as-a-human-being for President?

I don't see how the Democrats can lose with the Republican field being so totally, utterly fucked and dislikable.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post

Romney is a moderate Repub who is too quick to run from his record. The difference is that Obama supported the auto industry and let them know that to just throw money at the auto companies to continue doing the same thing wasn't going to work. The auto companies needed to change their business plan and management and go thru a managed bankruptcy. Whereas Romney made untrue statements such as

In 2009, Mr. Romney said Mr. Obama’s plans for rescuing the automobile industry were “tragic” and “a very sad circumstance for this country.”

The guy is a flip-flopper. With both health care and the auto bailout Romney is running from his record trying to have it both ways.

you've convinced me.............., voting Democrat for a change is just what Detroit needs......

Romney is a proven liar. Remember when he wore a hunting outfit and said he was an avid hunter? The facts came out he never hunted in his life. There are many more lies too. I'm afraid he is morman, than mormon.

Default Mitt "let the car industry go bankrupt" Romney gets egg on his face.

He's a republican, nothing else needs to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Never complain and never explain. And, if you are Republican, NEVER admit you made a mistake unless it was a "youthful indiscretion" about sex.

...on the Maddow show the other day, there was a segment about Romney.. apparently when he was running for governor of Mass., there was a big controversy about his residency; apparently he had been living mainly in Utah by that time, and Mass. has a 7-year residency rule for anyone who runs for governor.. it ended up being "settled" just in time for him to be cleared to run..

Romney maybe the possible frontrunner for President, but he WILL NOT get our electoral vote from Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    No. And don't discount 'Book of Mormon' on Broadway. The visibility of Mormons will skyrocket. And visibility is good for elections.

Look ma, I'm a saint!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast