Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default [Project for River Front Development] Any idea what this was supposed to be?

Found this when searching around...

http://www.booktown.com/stcroixprints/plan.php?id=6267

I see nothing on what this "Project for River Front Development" was intended to be or where it was proposed.

Anybody have any idea? It would certainly have been different!

I had no idea what this thread was supposed to be.

It was Saarinen's plan for what is today Hart Plaza... too bad it was not built! It also included a cool stone monument & Art Deco breakwall. More can be found via the "Unbuilt Detroit" feature that has been shared many times on the forum before.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I had no idea what this thread was supposed to be.
    First you find the needle in the haystack, then you thread it through the needle.

Well let's see....

1) it is NOT from 1900... Eliel Saarinen didn't start becoming famous until he did his 1905 Helsinki Train Station.
    2) he didn't become world renowned until his 1922 [[2nd place) competition entry for the Chicago Tribune Tower. Although his entry only won 2nd place... it was the most talked about of all the designs for the competition, and was much acclaimed by architects worldwide.
    3) he came to Cranbrook Academy in 1925, so that would help date his Detroit arrival.
    4) it's too fancy for Moderne Deco architecture of the 30s, so I would likely place it to circa 1926-32.

It could be a rendering for a new Detroit City Hall along the waterfront for the future Civic Center Plaza, but that's not certain.

Eliel did do some designs of the Civic Center... but I can't find an image at the momemt to see if this builiding was included. None of his Civic Center designs were ever implemented... likely because the International Style came into being by the time the plaza was being prepared for structures in the early 50s.

Gistok, try reading a few lines above your post. GsGeorge correctly identified the development. And on the Unbuilt Detroit website, this:

This rendering shows a perspective looking south from Jefferson and Woodward
    toward Windsor. The building through the arched entrance was a domed memorial
    hall dedicated to America’s Veterans of World War I. The rendering was done by
    Hugh Ferriss
    , one of the most skilled delineators of the first part
    of the 20th century.

The plan was devised by architect Eliel Saarinen, it was put to a
    public vote, and in 1925 Detroit voters approved paying for a portion of a
    modified version of the original plan, seen above in a clay model.

However public funds couldn’t be raised for the balance of the cost before
    the depression set in, and the project died.
    http://www.internationalmetropolis.com/?p=4786

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    Gistok, try reading a few lines above your post. GsGeorge correctly identified the development. And on the Unbuilt Detroit website, this:

http://www.internationalmetropolis.com/?p=4786
    Yeah, I saw that after I posted.... I was pretty accurate with the dating!

And that tall building in the never built plan is a near knock-off of his earlier Tribune Tower design.