Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: City PR

lilpup Guest

Default City PR

Travel & Leisure magazine did their Favorites Cities survey again in 2010, asking travelers to rate various things.

Only three Midwestern cities are on their list - Chicago, Minneapolis, and Kansas City.

I suppose not being listed does avoid some negative PR for the city but I think there are aspects that would be surprisingly positive, too. Either way, is Detroit viewed as THAT negligible?

http://www.travelandleisure.com/amer...te-cities/2010

Especially interesting in that even a shrunken Detroit is still about twice as big as Kansas City or Minneapolis.

Just an observation regarding PR but as anybody that would plan on relocating to a city with the advent of forums and with the exception of this forum it would seem as if the worst negative PR actually comes from past residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Just an observation regarding PR but as anybody that would plan on relocating to a city with the advent of forums and with the exception of this forum it would seem as if the worst negative PR actually comes from past residents.
    Or their children.

I would not lose sleep over this poll. Orlando and Las Vegas rank high. I would put both down near the bottom of places I would chose to live.

I noticed this last year. I think Travel and Leisure has a list of cities based off of some criteria that they regularly profile. That said, T + L did recently do a profile on Detroit as one of its most underrated cities in the world: http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...rated-cities/2

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I would not lose sleep over this poll. Orlando and Las Vegas rank high. I would put both down near the bottom of places I would chose to live.
    I agree on the Orlando aspect I spent 30 years there and raised my kids and has definitely changed,as a tourist aspect yes by far,but considering it was not much before the mouse.

Travel & Leisure seems to be more directed at the upscale tourist, sort of a mix of exotic hiking vacations near five-star attractions. And, to be fair, you don't want to cover one city right after you've done a piece on it already. I'm with DP, losing no sleep over this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I agree on the Orlando aspect I spent 30 years there and raised my kids and has definitely changed,as a tourist aspect yes by far,but considering it was not much before the mouse.
    I was down there about 10 years ago. Great for tourists, but when you have to screen in your deck to keep out the bugs, and you have a chance to wake up and find a wayward alligator in your house, no thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I was down there about 10 years ago. Great for tourists, but when you have to screen in your deck to keep out the bugs, and you have a chance to wake up and find a wayward alligator in your house, no thanks!
    There was a club by the airport that I was leaving a bit fuzzy at 2 am and I saw a log laying across the 2 lane road I got out of the car to move it and realized it was a 12 foot gator,and you do not go walking your poodle alongside waterways other then that gator meat is good eating.

If you ever drive down to Key West stop at the flood control gate bridges you can see the babies sunning on the rocks below and some really big snakes,but yes definitely a buggy state.

Florida: A sunny place for shady people.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Florida: A sunny place for shady people.
    After learning their ummmm trade in other states,I came here in 1980 out of the service at that time it was 1000 people per day moving here,I am ready to leave now I just need to decide which is going to open up first for me Cuba or Detroit