Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default SRC Reunion at the Magic Bag

SRC [[Scot Richard Case) are reuniting for their first show in 40 years for a show at the Magic Bag on Saturday, June 25. It's Scott Richardson, Steve Lyman, Glenn Quackenbush, Gary Quackenbush and Ray Goodman. I never got to see them back in their heyday. Does anybody have any cool SRC stories?
    Last edited by Wilfrid; June-14-11 at 11:50 AM.

This probably should be in the non Detroit category . I saw SRC many times in the late 60's at a teen club between Woodward and Old Woodward near Maple in downtown Birmingham . I don't believe they ever made it on a National level , only regionally popular probably because they didn't do many/if any original tunes but did alot of cover songs , Motown , Cream etc. One of their most popular tunes was '' I'm So Glad'' If you go see the show , don't be surprised if one of the Quackenbush brothers [[forgot which one plays the organ) gets that organ rocking back and forth , at times I feared he'd rock it so much he'd lose control of it and it would end up in the crowd lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    This probably should be in the non Detroit category .
    Why is that?

Because the show is in Ferndale and not specifically about Detroit ?

Since there will probably never be a FerndaleYES! forum, I have no problems with this post.

Yeah, this belongs here. Detroit psych-rock rules ...

Just trying to be helpful , my mistake

Detroit means three things, I figure.

* The city of Detroit

* Detroit-based automotive companies

* Metro Detroit

I figure they're all fair game.

Now, as to whether Ann Arborites want to be lumped in with any of this, I doubt it ... their loss.

well, speaking of a2, my father in law owned a bar there. i found a website with posters of src playing at his bar.

Here is "I'm so Glad" studio version, some dude spins it on a turntable and records it. Sounds pretty good to my ears.

Also, SRC is mentioned frequently in "Grit Noise and Revolution" the book by David A Carson. I would highly recommend this book to DYes folks who are fans of this era.

http://www.amazon.com/Grit-Noise-Rev.../dp/0472115030

Wasn't SRC's big single "Checkmate"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7JwkUPtVKw

Seemed for a while every time you turned around, they were playing somewhere. Northland, the skating ring at R.O. Kimball, R.O. Farmers Market. They were a great performance band, whose showstopper was "Hall Of The Mountain King/Bolero".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jn764Wh7g

Sure would like to see them again.

Black Sheep was a standout track from their first album that was released as a single.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El8zGcdsZZ4

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    This probably should be in the non Detroit category
    Discuss Detroit
    Discussions with a focus on the Detroit - Windsor metropolis - the world's greatest international metropolis.

Saw them at the Northville Community Building. The Cavern. July 1967. Memorable night, my first ride in a police car as a "guest" of the department due to the post concert festivities. Myself and three others. The fourth, well, he did a Jessie Owens and sprinted. We caught up with him at the city limits after our "chauffeur" dropped us at the Novi city limits.

Mellowed out a lot since......

Is anyone going to see the reunion show?

I am going

Check out this link about the making of SRC:
    http://rockprosopography102.blogspot...1_archive.html

Very cool website!

I am so bummed I can't make this show. I hope they do another. I saw a partial reunion without Scott Richardson at the Summer of Love fest in Wyandotte a few summers ago. This was my favorite local band when I was growing up. Wore out the grooves in all the lps and seen them numerous times. One show stands out at a high school where they played with Wilson Mower Pursuit. There was a psycedelic light show and between that and the acid and Src playing the Angel Song it was a great night.

"I don't believe they ever made it on a National level , only regionally popular probably because they didn't do many/if any original tunes but did alot of cover songs , Motown , Cream etc."

This is way wrong; they made 3 albums of mostly decent original tunes..

OK, so I know I'm only a couple of years late to this thread, but what the hell...

So did anybody attend this show? How was it? [[Sadly, I was actually in town, but was working that night).

I can still recall doing sound for SRC at The Cavern in Northville, along with a host of other local bands. The place was a wreck, but we had a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    Saw them at the Northville Community Building. The Cavern. July 1967. Memorable night, my first ride in a police car as a "guest" of the department due to the post concert festivities. Myself and three others. The fourth, well, he did a Jessie Owens and sprinted. We caught up with him at the city limits after our "chauffeur" dropped us at the Novi city limits.

Mellowed out a lot since......

They did another show at the Bag after the first one. Sadly I missed that one too.

I saw the first Show...The Band was outstanding..Scott's voice not so hot...About half the place emptied before it was over....too Bad in their prime they were one of the best...Whaler