Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Please Make New Thread Titles Describe their Topics [Or we will]

Dear all,

We have had a number of justified complaints of new thread titles not being descriptive on the thread's content. Please title your threads in a concise and descriptive manner so that all can quickly determine what they are about.

If you encounter a thread that is not descriptive, please click the 'Report Post' [!] icon to inform us. We will add to or replace the title with a descriptive title in [brackets].

Thank you for your cooperation and assistance in saving our time.

Yes.

The foundation of adult issue-related communication is to be able to succinctly state your premise and defend it. This is a skill that people should develop and become proud of.

Another skill to develop would be to steadfastly eliminate exclamation points from headers. It is so childish and girly.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Another skill to develop would be to steadfastly eliminate exclamation points from headers. It is so childish and girly.
    So in theory if I was a girl posting it would then be okay to use exclamation points within the header?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So in theory if I was a girl posting it would then be okay to use exclamation points within the header?
    By 'girly' I think she means immature and silly, which one could take issue with. I've met a lot more immature boys than girls. Silliness is just a matter of perception.

Could you explain this topic title?

I tend to balance between being very discriptive and sort of hiding the content. Opening a topic like "Transparent Pontiac", then you know it's not about the Kwame court case. In the Non-Detroit section there are some topics opened by yours truly that hide the message within. Some of them are a bit cheeky. But what's the point of telling a joke when the punchline is given in the topic title? Some things should have to remain a surprise just to give you a smile. Like "Fancy a trip to Toronto?" Punchline in the message, that's what I'm talking about.

Any feedback on this?

Edit:
    Wow, that's a new word for me.I still learn every day.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; June-14-11 at 01:05 PM.

There are times when thread titles should be descriptive and there are times when they can be teasers like some advertising slogans are. They are designed to peak the readers' interest make people click to see what it's about even if it is a bit of trickery.

Of course then there are the useless ones like "Help!" that I see so often on Tech Boards. Respondents tend to specialize in certain fields and it's annoying to click on a thread only to find it's about something you can't even understand.

This is more of a social board and we're just here to have some fun and share experiences and opinions.

Being confined to a Home for the Criminally Insane, I have to let either a guard or attendant pick my thread titles. That puts me in kind of a bind. I'll try to comply.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    There are times when thread titles should be descriptive and there are times when they can be teasers like some advertising slogans are. They are designed to peak the readers' interest make people click to see what it's about even if it is a bit of trickery.
    Exactly........!

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Exactly........!
    I also agree.

I say this rule is long overdue.

Well since we're not trying to sell newspapers, catchy titles intended to pique your interest... and then you click on it, only to find it's either something insipid or something you could care less about... I find those annoying. And often times I skip over ambiguous topics that would otherwise interest me had the OP given some indication what it's about.

So for me trickery = waste of time. But that's just my opinion, others don't feel the same way.

Regarding ! exclamation point excess, I Iike this rule from Elmore Leonard's tens rules for writing.

5. Keep your exclamation points under control.

You are allowed no more than two or three per 100,000 words of prose

The added "descriptive title in [brackets]" service is very helpful and appreciated.

Thank you, Lowell.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well since we're not trying to sell newspapers, catchy titles intended to pique your interest... and then you click on it, only to find it's either something insipid or something you could care less about... I find those annoying. And often times I skip over ambiguous topics that would otherwise interest me had the OP given some indication what it's about.

So for me trickery = waste of time. But that's just my opinion, others don't feel the same way.
    Well, you could always do something wild and crazy like mouse over the thread link and a tool tip will pop up and tell you what's in the thread.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/9672/tooltipy.png

What I would find more helpful is the thread creator's name under the thread title. Some posters make really interesting threads and some make really terrible threads. I'd love to know in advance what threads were created by who.

What I would find more helpful is the thread creator's name under the thread title.
    You don't see that now? I do.

Some posters make really interesting threads and some make really terrible threads.
    And some do threads that are nothing but propaganda videos with no explanation or discussion.
    Last edited by Meddle; June-14-11 at 07:56 PM.

Then I promptly break the rule... missed this thread. [[Sorry!)

You don't see that now?
    No, I see the last person who posted in the thread. I want the thread creator, not last poster.

EDIT: Hey, you're alright. It was the forum skin I was using. I changed skins [[although I don't like this skin), but sure enough, now I see that info.

Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; June-14-11 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    EDIT: Hey, you're alright. It was the forum skin I was using. I changed skins [[although I don't like this skin), but sure enough, now I see that info.
    Correct. If you switch to the 'vB4 Default skin' you will see the thread creators. The forum default skin 'DetroitYES Blue' was designed to cut down some clutter to increase download speed. Of course simply opening the thread and seeing the first post will reveal the same.

Well considering that comparatively this seems to be a well run forum and as I am a guest in this private forum I would need to take the good with the bad, as there is no way to please everybody all of the time and if I did not like it I can take the option of not posting.

FTR personally I think that anybody that chooses to call somebody a Nazi should first take a trip over to Treblinka and realize exactly what they are referring to and there is nothing that could be said or done on this site that could even come close to what that stands for.

I wont open a vague thread title...... so you want it read, tell me whats in it. The "catchy" phrased threads are usually disappointing or of no interest, sad when the title is the best part. I will save my exclamation point for later.