Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default [Notorious 1987 Inkster cop killer dies in prison] Finally, Some Good News

Last Updated: June 13. 2011 9:42PM
    Woman involved in notorious 1987 Inkster shootout dies
    Francis X. Donnelly/ The Detroit News

Ypsilanti— A woman involved with her three sons in a notorious shootout in 1987 that left three Inkster police officers dead has died.

Alberta Easter, who was being held at Women's Huron Valley Correctional Facility in Ypsilanti, died Sunday shortly after being taken to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor, a prisons spokesman said.

Easter, who was 93, died from natural causes, said Russ Marlan, spokesman for the state Department of Corrections.

The shootout occurred at an Inkster motel where Easter was living when the officers tried to arrest her and one of her sons for bouncing a $286 check.

After the officers were shot, Easter and three sons kept other police at bay during a 10-hour standoff that involved hundreds of rounds fired from the first-floor motel room.

Killed in the initial shootout were Officers Clay Hoover, 24, and Dan Dubiel, 36, and Sgt. Ira Parker, 41.

Hoover and Dubiel were shot 29 times each, according to testimony at the murder trial.

Easter and three sons were convicted of first-degree murder and given three life sentences apiece.

Two sons, William and Roy Lemons, remain in prison. The third, George Lemons, died in prison in 1996.

The killings, one of the most notorious police shootouts in Metro Detroit history, shocked the public because of the number of officers killed and the paltry reason for resisting arrest.

Easter and her sons were known as smalltime crooks who flitted from one scheme to another, according to testimony at their trial.

When Hoover and Dubiel arrived at the Bungalow Motel on Michigan Avenue to serve arrest warrants, the 69-year-old Easter insisted the warrant was wrong.

The officers called Parker and the shootings occurred shortly after Parker's arrival.

If Easter's family doesn't claim her body, she will be buried at the state prison cemetery in Jackson, Marlan said.
    http://detnews.com/article/20110613/...424/1408/LOCAL

Good, that nasty old bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Good, that nasty old bitch.
    I second that, Roq, it's just too bad she got to die of natural causes.

A bit sad that the third officer who died is not even mentioned by name in the article. Come on. He also died a hero's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    A bit sad that the third officer who died is not even mentioned by name in the article. Come on. He also died a hero's death.
    There are three here as far as I can read:
    Last Updated: June 13. 2011 9:42PM
    Woman involved in notorious 1987 Inkster shootout dies
    Francis X. Donnelly/ The Detroit News

Ypsilanti— A woman involved with her three sons in a notorious shootout in 1987 that left three Inkster police officers dead has died.

Alberta Easter, who was being held at Women's Huron Valley Correctional Facility in Ypsilanti, died Sunday shortly after being taken to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor, a prisons spokesman said.

Easter, who was 93, died from natural causes, said Russ Marlan, spokesman for the state Department of Corrections.

The shootout occurred at an Inkster motel where Easter was living when the officers tried to arrest her and one of her sons for bouncing a $286 check.

After the officers were shot, Easter and three sons kept other police at bay during a 10-hour standoff that involved hundreds of rounds fired from the first-floor motel room.
    Killed in the initial shootout were Officers Clay Hoover, 24, and Dan Dubiel, 36, and Sgt. Ira Parker, 41.

I lived down the street. It sure was a big deal at the time.

My apologies. I missed it completely.

I had forgotten this had happened. It sure gives you some insight as to why cops can be such dicks for no reason at a traffic stop. They never know what to expect.

So if no one claims her, just toss her dead ass in a dumpster along with the rest of the garbage.

My now ex-wife and I owned a 7-Eleven at Avondale and Inkster Rds.We knew all of the Inkster Police officers as our store was just north of the Police Department.We always offered "free refills" for them when on duty.This really devastated the city and has taken may years to try and get over.We sold out and the store closed in 1988.Inkster certainly has had its share of problems over the years.

I waited on this dirtbag family Easter Sunday 1985 at Southland mall in Taylor. I remembered the family and name because it was Easter Sunday. One of the first Easters the mall was open. I was manager of a store. Let my employees go home early that Sunday, it was slow. In walks this goofy looking family. They were trying to put on airs. One of the sons, I believe it was George was wearing a cheap boat captains hat and a navy blazer with threads hanging. The blazer had some kind of school crest on it, like Yale. Obviously from a thrift store. The mother, Alberta, had a nasty old hat, smelled like moth balls. She wrote a check with a low check number. The amount was under 50 bucks. I did not have to call it in to compu check, but did anyway. They said to deny the check. Account old and closed. They left. I notified mall security. Security followed them out to their car and found several store bags, over 3 grand in stuff. They hit Penney's the hardest. Mall did not tell me what happened after that. I never heard of them again till the Inkster cop killing. Strange twist in this to me. I was now working at another company. Secretary at my new job, her son was hired as one of the Inkster new cops, to replace one of the ones killed.

DetroitPole Guest

3 hots and a cot for years and she dies peacefully, and without remorse?

I don't really agree with the death penalty but keeping that sack of shit alive for that long seems a damn shame.

I don't really know how I feel about the afterlife either, but in times like this one hopes there is a hell where she can burn for all eternity.

Boy oh boy, who made kids with that thing anyway? Did she rape somebody too? My dog's ass looks better than she did.

Evidently, George Lemons, who also died in prison, had Gold Soul Recording studio at 15341 Livernois: http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/1...tml?1080720830

This is actually a pretty impressive, art deco type building. I'd be interested if anyone knew anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Evidently, George Lemons, who also died in prison, had Gold Soul Recording studio at 15341 Livernois: http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/1...tml?1080720830

This is actually a pretty impressive, art deco type building. I'd be interested if anyone knew anything about it.

It is a neat old building with alot of history, I was interested in it myself but they were asking a little to much for it in my opinion. It was picked up by a church group a few months ago.

Wow I remember that shooting, it happened in July of that year I think. The flight 255 crash happened the next month and the story was put on the back burner

There isn't a time that I don't think about the 3 officers when I drive pass the Bungalow Motel. Last summer I had a flashback when Mich Ave was closed in that spot due to a traffic accident, There must of been 10 patrol cars in that area.

I thought this woman was already dead. Guess I mixed it up with her son. Anyway, good riddance.

Effing old skank. I hope she is getting hers in the afterlife. And I hope her scum sons join her in the same miserable place. I remember that day, the news was so horrible - and her antics during the court hearings holding up her handcuffs for the press to photograph.

And why doesn't Michigan have the death penalty?

Finally, some good news.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    And why doesn't Michigan have the death penalty?
    It's people like Alberta Easter who make a strong, strong case for why Michigan needs to have the death penalty. There is no excuse that she should've been allowed to live for 24 years, completely at taxpayer expense. If there's any consolation, now she has to stand before God and answer for what she's done.