Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hey forumers... [Photoshoot location assistance request]

I am sitting here in the WSU area and am looking for some areas to use for a location for a photoshoot. The area has to be relatively rugged, not like hoodified but not neccessarily the touristy spots, can anyone help me out?

Hey, forumers! Wouldn't it be, like, really cool if you had a decent thread title so people didn't click on it and find it wasn't something they were interested in? Can you please help out with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Hey, forumers! Wouldn't it be, like, really cool if you had a decent thread title so people didn't click on it and find it wasn't something they were interested in? Can you please help out with that?
    Haha, what a prefect DYes response!

Rosa Parks at Spaulding Court
    google map the location. Note the kids toys and baby strollers. Actually had
    me confused for a second. In 1 frame the stroller was parked by the building
    you move ahead 1 frame and its been moved but there is nobody around. Took
    me a second to notice the sky was different and 1 frame is at an intersection
    and presumably captured at a different time
    Last edited by Autoracks; June-13-11 at 03:11 PM.

DetroitPole Guest

Rugged, like a mountain or a gorge? Detroit is relatively flat, so I can't really help you there. I guess Balduck has a hill.
    Gritty - rugged - come on now. What's with all these weird euphamisms?
    Go to Southwest Detroit, I guess. It's just neighborhoods, definitely not totally ghettofied, but West Bloomfield it ain't. Just keep in mind that tens of thousands of people live there so be respectful, please.

I take photos from time to time around the city day and night and just make sure I take someone with me. This was especially true when I had a more expensive camera. The one I have now it pretty low rent point and shoot digital job, but still I don't want someone to walk up on me and take it. Plus its fun to go with someone else... I've sorta gotten into Brush park in the past. And some of the derelict areas of Palmer Woods. Somewhere I can get out of my car and walk up to. I'm not crawling about or climbing to get any photos... LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    I am sitting here in the WSU area and am looking for some areas to use for a location for a photoshoot. The area has to be relatively rugged, not like hoodified but not neccessarily the touristy spots, can anyone help me out?
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-13-11 at 04:02 PM.

DS, take a look at the undeveloped section of the Dequindre Cut — between Gratiot and Mack. There's easy access at the north end at Mack – you just walk right in or you can crawl under the fence at the south end where the Cut passes under Gratiot.

Check your inbox

What about the "valley" at Elmwood Cemetary? That meandering way has many old mausoleums built into the hillside... some appear not only rugged and neglected.... but downright spooky...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Try the area right behind the Fox Theatre. There are a few nice restaurants that are pretty stylish looking. You may also want to try the Brush Park area. It could provide very good contrast between property that has been rehabilitated, new construction and property that has deteriorated. Some good shots of the Crime Lab probably wouldn't hurt either. Good luck with your shoot.

DS ... Are you shooting fashion, glamor, product ? If product is it sheetmetal? If so is it an economic or 4 x 4? If not auto related is it tools, food? Is it spec work?

A lOcation which might work for a couple of models might be comPletely wrong for a car.

in this case it is specifically for an actress/ model...

Try the warehouse/rivertown area between St. Aubin and Iron south of E. Jefferson. Very industrial but also a pretty safe part of the city. Plenty to choose from between abondoned warehouses to rehabbed factories and everything in between. The riverwalk is also close at hand for a change of pace, as is the lower end of the Dequindre Cut, which could be rugged.

Rock makes a pretty good suggestion in the area around Iron St. You'd be able to achieve quite a few different looks there. Another area could be the working side of Eastern Market: Orleans St. The area has a grittiness to it, isn't touristy, but is pretty safe.

Assuming this for some portfolio or headshot work, you aren't going to have any money for security, so picking an area where your gear and the model are going to be comfortable is very important. If this is portfolio work, that means the girl is paying you and will report to her model friends how it went from a comfort level to an end product.

If that is indeed true you might want to consider a couple of alleys in Birmingham. Between Old Woodward and Pierce there is a pretty good looking alley. It is a little dirty but looks rougher than it is. I think there a couple of electrical transformers back there along with accessible fire escapes and whatnot. It looks like an alley out of Central Casting.

Downside would be the police. They see camera gear they'll want to see your permits.

I understand it isn't Detroit, but it is very safe for her and the nikon d90.

I am free today and will probably hit the mean streets cameras in hand around 2:00pm.