Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default United States developing anti-censorship Internet systems

United States developing anti-censorship Internet systems
    The newspaper said the covert effort also includes attempts to create independent cellphone networks inside foreign countries.

The operation involves a fifth-floor shop on L Street in Washington, where a group of young entrepreneurs are fitting deceptively innocent-looking hardware into a prototype "Internet in a suitcase," the report said.

Financed with a $2.0 million State Department grant, the suitcase could be secreted across a border and quickly set up to allow wireless communications over a wide area with a link to the global Internet, the paper noted.
    U.S. Underwrites Internet Detour Around Censors

Imagine the diplomatic negotiation leverage from simply being able to parachute thousands of these suitcases high into treetops for broadest wireless coverage. This is leafletting on steroids.

I'm trying to imagine a way this technology could be abused but I'm coming up empty handed. If it were used to create the illusion of a fake internet masquerading as the true internet, Digital Signature security would expose that ruse.

I think this development is a genuine plus for global freedom of individual citizens! Yea!

I can imagine authoritarian regimes coming up with the internet version of jamming.