Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Warrendale is going downhill!

There are reports from various neighbors who lived around W. Warren Ave. from The borders of Dearborn Heights to the borders of Dearborn that fewer neighborhood homes in Warrendale in Detroit's West Side are being abandoned and vacant. 20 years ago, that sub-division once mostly white both Polish and Italian. Now the area is getting more black before more Arab and Hispanics move in. The Arabs have tooken over the southern sections of the neighborhoods of Warrendale between Dearborn to Southfield FWY. The black folks have quickly move to northern sections of Warrendale from Southfield FWY. to W. Warren Ave. will this trend turn Warrendale into a instant low-income ghettohood or will the Arabs and Hispanics have the advantage.

Any thoughts?

You have set up the premise that fewer whites, more Arabs, hispanics and blacks automatically means the neighborhood will go downhill. Go look at Dearborn and southwest Detroit and see vibrant neighborhoods with plenty of shops and good neighbors. Rethink your premise. A more thoughtful way to put it would be in question format, What will happen to Warrendale as the Polish and Italian base changes to Arab, Hispanic and black?

fewer neighborhood homes in Warrendale in Detroit's West Side are being abandoned and vacant. sounds like a GOOD thing.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; May-21-09 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    There are reports from various neighbors who lived around W. Warren Ave. from The borders of Dearborn Heights to the borders of Dearborn that fewer neighborhood homes in Warrendale in Detroit's West Side are being abandoned and vacant. 20 years ago, that sub-division once mostly white both Polish and Italian. Now the area is getting more black before more Arab and Hispanics move in. The Arabs have tooken over the southern sections of the neighborhoods of Warrendale between Dearborn to Southfield FWY. The black folks have quickly move to northern sections of Warrendale from Southfield FWY. to W. Warren Ave. will this trend turn Warrendale into a instant low-income ghettohood or will the Arabs and Hispanics have the advantage.

Any thoughts?
    Danny, have you gone off the deep end? Your comments are interspersed with paranoia and subtle racism. The neighborhood's biggest issue is the number of foreclosures, not the color or ethnic background of any group in particular. I for one have noticed that shady dealings are going down. I am not sure if this is because the dealers and hookers have moved to the burbs, or I am not out when they are. Vacant homes make the other houses more of a target for petty crime because there are fewer eyes on the street.

If anyone is to blame for Warrendale's problems it is the economy. Many of the jobs once held by its residents are disappearing as Ford Motor shrinks, it is leaving the area around it with less economic opportunity though spin-offs.

gazhekwe,

Lots is people in Warrendale are seeing more looted Detroit houses then 5 years ago. Foreclosures and low-income residents are quickly filling up the area. Most people in those neighborhoods don't want to even look at the constant eyesores. So far real estate companies and City of Detroit are doint nothing to rehab those homes. You can go see it for yourself.

That isn't what you said to begin with. If there is more crime and fewer occupied houses, that is a whole different scenario. Where are the stats to document those conditions?

Any thoughts?
    Why do you feel as if "black folks" in a neighborhood automatically are low-income and ghetto?

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Where are the stats to document those conditions?
    The last year and a half have been very difficult to even judge what is going on in terms of foreclosures. On my block, I'd estimate 20 percent of the homes are now vacant for one reason or another; and my block is in better shape than some, and a little worse than others.

Thanks to the gentlemen who is boarding up houses in Warrendale on his own time and dime. Your neighbors thank you.

This takes it out of the realm of the neighborhood going downhill because of blacks, Arabs, and Hispanics moving in. The neighborhood may be suffering from the rate of empty houses and lack of care thereof. What can be done to address that?

One thing we did in our neighborhood, NOT in Warrendale, was each one reach one. We all take some responsibility for neighboring properties, watching over them and making sure they are kept in reasonable shape. We have put shutters back up, picked up trash, and made sure that open properties were closed up and made secure. Realtor and banks were contacted if the care fell below neighborhood standards. It has worked and more and more houses have been bought [[for very reasonable prices), occupied and upgraded. Yes, we can! My neighborhood is mixed, weighted toward African American.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; May-21-09 at 12:48 PM.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I have a thought. You're racist as hell.

kraig,

I'm contending from the neighbors who cried for help that their communities lost its appeal. I'm not racist. This is not what I'm stated. We're not playing race cards here so keep it within the comments about Warrendale's problems. This is why Detroit and sububs is what it is NOW because of the post-confederate attitudes. If we don't change ourselves, we can't save Detroit.

Coffyhouse,

Great post, Some people in Detroit's ghettohoods are really stepping in to board up those vacant houses. That's what we need to change Detroit are better tommorow. I would like to see ALL Detroiters and suburbanites to save what's left of historical buildings that out forefathers put 300 years of the blood, sweat and tears to make Detroit what it is today. Warrendale can be saved. There are some new homes being built at the old Herman Gardens area and few newer bungalows on Tireman St. near Greenfield, Rd. This is due to people who have a heart to save Detroit's ghettohoods from becoming urban praries.
    Last edited by Danny; May-21-09 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Yeah, I have a thought. You're racist as hell.
    I concur your thought process is racist. I think it would be good for you to take a drive down Vernor in south west Detroit and witness just how vibrant that mostly black and hispanic neighborhood is, and while you are at it, drive just south-west of Warrendale in the mostly white area [[I can’t call it a neighborhood) bounded by Fullerton, Evergreen, Lasher, and the I 96 service drive. I did a photo essay of that area that you may view by clicking here. I think the decline of some Detroit areas and the viability of others has more to economic opportunity than it has to do with race.

kraig,

I'm contending from the neighbors who cried for help that their communities lost its appeal. I'm not racist. This is not what I'm stated. We're not playing race cards here so keep it within the comments about Warrendale's problems. This is why Detroit and sububs is what it is NOW because of the post-confederate attitudes. If we don't change ourselves, we can't save Detroit.

Coffyhouse,

Great post, Some people in Detroit's ghettohoods are really stepping in to board up those vacant houses. That's what we need to change Detroit are better tommorow. I would like to see ALL Detroiters and suburbanites to save what's left of historical buildings that out forefathers put 300 years of the blood, sweat and tears to make Detroit what it is today. Warrendale can be saved. There are some new homes being built at the old Herman Gardens area and few newer bungalows on Tireman St. near Greenfield, Rd. This is due to people who have a heart to save Detroit's ghettohoods from becoming urban praries.

Since I've had people attribute to me the words I've used to describe what some other people were actually saying, I'm more than willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. So I can take the racist comment back. But, looking at your post I think you can see where myself and some of the other posters are coming from.

Trust me, the race card is the last card I want to play.

rajdet,

Great post, those montages of the "American Dream" turned out to be a "American Nightmare" for most vacant and abandon homes in most Detroit ghettohoods. That is symptom of urban disinvestment and for those who once lived in those homes couldn't even change themselves. Therefor they change Detroit. That is why Detroit needs our help. Please put away the race cards, stop blaming our city leaders and let us save Detroit before its too late.

Danny,

When you post something that questions whether 'Blacks' moving en masse will make it a "low-income ghettohood" and your entire soliloquy is about "Arabs," "Blacks," "Hispanics," "Polish," and "Italian," it's easy to see how people interpret you making it about race...

Danny, you are welcome to your opinions, but PLEASE get a dictionary and a grammar book.

Danny, I am not playing the race card, I dont own one. Maybe I misread your post but it seems like you equated the decline of a neighborhood to the changing ethnic make-up of the neighborhood. I see it as an economic thing. I am of the opinion that we the people living in south eastern Michigan, are in deep doo doo, and in order to climb out of it we need to focus on what unites us.

blksoul_x Guest

Until we [[Black Africans living in 'amerikkka') understand, and come to the conclusion that the only way 'we' can began to re-build our villages is by a total group collective [[Black Unity),ie; middle class Blacks, poor Blacks, educated Blacks, creative Blacks, Black institutions, and the like fighting toward a collective goal that will ultimately produce a means of Black wealth, competitiveness, and self sufficiency, we will continue to see the deciduous devastation of our living spaces, and so-called communities, [[ no doubt, helped brought on by amerikkkas' historical forces of degradation of Black people).

Why 'we' continue to get upset by the 'basic-white' attitude that our broader population is 'ghetto', 'ugly', 'horrific', and 'dysfunctional', is truly amazing...if we display a fraction of Unity, and understand what a true community consist of, we can eliminate such out-spoken [[albeit coded) racial attitudes!

Wake up!

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, the Color you love to hate!

Wow! This is my neighborhood so I feel the need to chime in.

First, I don't know if Danny intended to sound racist with his opening comments, but he certainly did. Quite frankly, I don't care if the folks who in my neighborhood are black, white, red, yellow, brown or purple with pink polka dots. Warrendale has a proud Polish and Italian history; one that should be honored. However, honoring the past does not mean that one has to keep others out of the neighborhood.

Second, as for statistics, Detroit Planner is correct. Foreclosures - and the problems created by them - are the biggest issue that Warrendale currently faces with narcotics trafficking a close second.

To give some numbers that put things in perspective, there were 9,036 homes in Warrendale east of the Southfield Freeway when I took over as president of the Warrendale Community Organization in fall of 2007. The WCO surveyed the neighborhood and found that - at that time - 824 of them were vacant [[9.12% of all homes). In the fall of 2006, to give some perspective, there were only about a dozen or so vacant homes. The neighborhood has quite literally been decimated by the mortgage crisis.

Widespread drug dealing has only exacerbated the problems. Since Warrendale is bordered on 2 sides by Dearborn and 1 side by Dearborn Heights - with a freeway going through the middle of it - the neighborhood is an ideal location for city-based drug dealers to business with suburban-based customers. It's not uncommon for me to see 5 or 6 drug deals happen in a single day.

DPD will show up from time to time and makes arrests. When they do, things will quiet down for a couple of days. However, when the police leave, the drug dealers always return.

I lobbied for the City to make police staffing a much higher priority. Unfortunately, I was ignored. http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2008/...y-council.html

I've since stepped down from the WCO. Regardless, those challenges in the neighborhood are just as strong as ever.

For those who are interested, you can keep up with what's happening the neighborhood via the Warrendale [[Detroit) Blog. http://warrendale.blogspot.com/ For anyone who is on Facebook, you can also find the Warrendale group by searching for "Warrendale, Detroit" on FB. [[384 members, baby!)

Is "ghettohood" a word?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Is "ghettohood" a word?
    It's a Dannyism, like "suburbantopia" or "Street Prophet."

My sister in law is living in the old family home over on Rutland south of Warren and even she is getting ready to leave. The houses on both sides of her are now vacant and it's getting to frightening for her to be there alone. It's really a shame as that home has been in the family for over 50 years. Last I heard she's moving in with her sister being that her job is now gone on top of her block going downhill.

MIRepublic Guest

Why in the hell is anyone seriously trying to engage Danny, of all people, in serious, thoughful debate and discussion? He is unable to reciprocate your good intentions. No, seriously, he's incapable of doing so. Please, keep that in mind. It's not his fault.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blksoul_x View Post
    Until we [[Black Africans living in 'amerikkka') understand, and come to the conclusion that the only way 'we' can began to re-build our villages is by a total group collective [[Black Unity),ie; middle class Blacks, poor Blacks, educated Blacks, creative Blacks, Black institutions, and the like fighting toward a collective goal that will ultimately produce a means of Black wealth, competitiveness, and self sufficiency, we will continue to see the deciduous devastation of our living spaces, and so-called communities, [[ no doubt, helped brought on by amerikkkas' historical forces of degradation of Black people).

Why 'we' continue to get upset by the 'basic-white' attitude that our broader population is 'ghetto', 'ugly', 'horrific', and 'dysfunctional', is truly amazing...if we display a fraction of Unity, and understand what a true community consist of, we can eliminate such out-spoken [[albeit coded) racial attitudes!

Wake up!

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, the Color you love to hate!
    I knew it! Danny was trying to bring blksoul out from under his rock. Nice going, Danny! You know which buttons to push...

My worst recent memory of Warrendale is that bombed out apt building by Tireman/Pierson. Warrendale seemed to get hit hard by foreclosures from what I can tell. I had a discussion about Warrendale about a month ago with one of my friends who lived there for awhile. He confirmed the drug problem going on down there and said that in the last 3yrs it has gotten worse. I myself still go to Gracie See to get pizza, and drive down Warren to get there. I would say the place is looking rough But so are many other places around here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast