Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default [Architecture of Louis Kamper] Anyone into architecture?

Our local historical society in Ohio has just been approached about purchasing a landmark house that has a strong Detroit connection -- as it was designed by Louis Kamper, architect of the Book-Cadillac and many large southeast Michigan residences. This may well be the only Kamper-designed house in Ohio.

We're trying to evaluate it as a purchase option, and wondered if there is anyone on this forum -- or can be connected to through this forum -- who would know more about Kamper or his Detroit buildings and residences.

Many thanks!

Sadly, we will never know the total number of works by Louis Kamper, since his archive was destroyed shortly after his death. We can only speculate about the out of State designs that he did on the side. Everyone knows about the token designs downtown, but people don't know much about his great residential designs.

Welcome ThomasP!!

Kamper's finest Michigan residence is arguably the 21,000 Sq. Ft. Hecker-Smiley Mansion, built in the 1890's for railroad car building tycoon Frank C. Hecker....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sjb4pho...n/photostream/

This house in Detroit [[on Woodward... the city's main thoroughfare) is today a law office for Charfoos & Christiansen [[and is also on the market for $3.5 million).

It is built in the Chateauesque style... a rare style for 19th century homes, since they were so expensive to build.

Thanks, everyone. We know this to be a Kamper-designed house as we have access to the original blueprints and renderings. Any information is appreciated.

Thomas P:
    Welcome! and check your PM's, thanks.

I've done quite a bit of research on Louis Kamper and his background as well as his buildings in Michigan and elsewhere. If you would like to discuss, PM me.

Louis Kamper was born in bavaria. Trained at McKim, Mead and White in NYC. Came to Detroit originally as a rep of the firm to pitch Col. Hecker and eventually stayed and help build his home on Woodward. He has designed the:

Book Building
    Book Cadillac Hotel
    Water Board Building
    Washington Boulevard Project
    1089 Burns Indian Village Historic District
    2130 Iroquois Indian Village Historic District
    2150 Iroquois Indian Village Historic District-His home
    1443 Seminole Indian Village Historic District
    1500 Seminole Indian Village Historic District
    1515 Seminole Indian Village Historic District
    The Book house on the corner of Burns and E. Jefferson
    Murray Sales House Lincoln Grosse Pointe
    Those are the ones I know off the top of my head and of course there are quite a few more around the area. Also for more information on Kamper try to find a copy of W. Hawkins Ferry's Buildings of Detroit John K King here in Detroit should have a copy.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; June-14-11 at 10:59 PM.

Am I correct that he was also responsible for the design of the Book Tower?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Paul

I know he did 5 or 6 obscure bank branches in the City of Detroit...need to dig up the info.

Obscure Kamper designs:

-C.H. Haberkorn residence...a tudor design..maybe GP or Detroit -1920
    -F.E. Wadsworth home and garage-GP 1910ish
    -Detroit Municipal Hospital Colony
    -Snell mausoleum at Woodlawn Cemetery
    -Public Bath house-Detroit
    -Joseph Jonas residence-plans Clay and Oakland-Detroit
    -Peoples' Telephone Company-Detroit 1901
    -Solomon Dresser home [[Bradford, PA) 1906?
    -Mrs. Joseph Kling residence [[Detroit)
    -Elks Building [[Jackson, MI) not sure if it was ever built [[1899)
    -Yugens Furniture Company building [[Dearborn)
    -Plans for Universal Motor Truck Co factory

It is more than likely that Kamper put up spec homes because I am sure he had the funds to do so. Kahn did and so did lesser-known architects such as Burrowes, Marr, Dise and Willeke. You could be driving down some tree-lined street in Grosse Pointe filled with small colonials and not know who designed them.

I know he drew up plans for at least 3 homes in Boston Edison and Arden Park but not sure if the plans were followed through. He did some work on Hamilton and maybe Palmer Woods. Rumor has it that he designed a home in Sherwood Forest. Keep in mind that his son Paul was an architect as well and practiced in Detroit.
    Last edited by Patrick; June-15-11 at 05:50 PM.

Snell mausoleum at Woodlawn Cemetery

thomasp, do you have a photo of the residence? I would be curious to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    thomasp, do you have a photo of the residence? I would be curious to see it.
    Yes, me too. What a treasure!

Yes you are correct!

Go to the Sherwood Forest website they have a list of the architects and builders for the district in the history section. Unfortunately LK is not listed. Also along with the Murray sales home the another is the now gone Hugo Scherer home on the corner of Moran and Lakeshore.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; June-16-11 at 06:32 PM.

Right after the Heckler Residence he did the 5th Precinct Police Sub-Station on Grand River at Rosa-Parks. It was done in the same style, including the carriage house, with the substitution of brick in place of most of the limestone cladding. It is now occupied by the Phoenix Construction Group.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Welcome ThomasP!!

Kamper's finest Michigan residence is arguably the 21,000 Sq. Ft. Hecker-Smiley Mansion, built in the 1890's for railroad car building tycoon Frank C. Hecker....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sjb4pho...n/photostream/

This house in Detroit [[on Woodward... the city's main thoroughfare) is today a law office for Charfoos & Christiansen [[and is also on the market for $3.5 million).

It is built in the Chateauesque style... a rare style for 19th century homes, since they were so expensive to build.

All:

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. We have literally been in negotiations for the house for this entire time.

I am happy to report that just this afternoon [[Monday), our local historical society purchased the Louis Kamper-designed house. With it came the complete set of architectural drawings for the structure, dating from 1902 and 1903. This evening, we held a champagne celebration there.

While the house is in precarious condition, we are intending to do work to get the house ready for another winter, and then to commence repair work in the spring. The goal is to get it stabilized and then to market it subject to a historic conservation easement.

Here is a period photo of this amazing house:

The interior is wonderful as well.

ThomasP

Thanks ThomasP!

Nice house... has traces of Queen Anne and Federalist styles. The entrance portico reminds me of a house near Detroit's east Riverfront called the Blanche House with a similar entryway [[located in the Lodge subdivision where the Manoogian Mansion is located).

Louis Kamper also designed the Eaton Tower[[currently known as the Broderick Tower) and the Hotel Eddystone.

That's a nice house ThomasP! What Ohio town?

Quote Originally Posted by Khartoum View Post
    That's a nice house ThomasP! What Ohio town?
    It's the Bloomer Baker and Nellie Stewart Gill House [[known locally as The Gill House) on the main street of Galion, Ohio. Galion is a community of approximately 10,500 population located in north-central Ohio, about 55 miles north of Columbus.

Preservation Detroit Third Friday Lecture Series

Celebrate Detroit Architecture: Louis Kamper
    Friday, June 21, 7 pm
    Historic David Mackenzie House, 4735 Cass Avenue
    Free admission, donations for refreshments welcome

Louis Kamper, perhaps best known today as the architect behind the Book-Cadillac, the Broderick, and the Hecker-Smiley mansion, designed more than one hundred commercial and residential buildings in Detroit. His buildings still loom large in the architectural heritage of the city. He was one of the “go-to” architects for the cognoscenti of Detroit’s golden age, and a key player in the development of its hotel district. Learn about his lesser-known designs, his ties with the Book family, and his development as an architect from his apprenticeship at New York’s esteemed McKim, Mead, & White to being a partner in his own firm.
    Allan Machielse, soon-to-be architect and devoted Kamper scholar, will share his extensive personal research and photos of Kamper buildings in the newest lecture of the “Celebrate Detroit Architects” series.
    Our free Third Friday Lecture Series is made possible by the generous donations of our members, to share the tales of Detroit’s historic buildings, neighborhoods, and architects and build support for historic preservation’s importance in revitalizing our neighborhoods.

Please RSVP via the Facebook event page or email lphillips@preservationdetroit.org.

Bump for the Kamper lecture tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/events/379642048821451/

The J. B. Book Jr. home 15440 Windmill Pointe Drive built in 1921. Designed by Louis Kamper. Sorry about the one image that is reversed.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

^^^ Of course, that's no longer standing, right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast