Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Does anyone clean fish?

I see a lot of those "You buy.We fry" places in the city but I'm wondering does anyone clean fresh caught fish[[for a price)?
    A friend enjoys fishing so much that I'm thinking of taking it up&going with him sometime. The thing is I don't think I can,or want to,clean the fish.Which got me to wondering if there's a store or restaurant that would clean the fish I catch?
    Anyone know if there's such a place?

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I see a lot of those "You buy.We fry" places in the city but I'm wondering does anyone clean fresh caught fish[[for a price)?
    A friend enjoys fishing so much that I'm thinking of taking it up&going with him sometime. The thing is I don't think I can,or want to,clean the fish.Which got me to wondering if there's a store or restaurant that would clean the fish I catch?

I know of a few places, but none anywhere near Detroit [[That I know of). If you don't feel like cleaning them, there's always catch and release!

The people to ask would be at the bait shop you buy your bait from. They may do it themselves or could give you a place close by that does it. You also need to compare the price of having them cleaned versus just buying some fish.

Personally I find fishing more fun by doing catch and release and stopping by the fish market on my way home.

It's very easy to clean fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    It's very easy to clean fish.
    Absolutely is. I learned to clean fish as a kid. The results were always good. Fresh cooked fish, Perch, Sunfish, Bass, etc is Deeelicious. You might have to practice a bit to find the bones, pull and cut them out and identify easiest methods for different fish, but it's well worth it.

ferntruth Guest

Tere is a fish place on 8 mile at livernois, it's on the Ferndale side of 8 mile and next to the shell station. They clean caught fish.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Absolutely is. I learned to clean fish as a kid. The results were always good. Fresh cooked fish, Perch, Sunfish, Bass, etc is Deeelicious. You might have to practice a bit to find the bones, pull and cut them out and identify easiest methods for different fish, but it's well worth it.
    Sounds like me. I always cleaned the fish I caught. Sometimes I wondered why I bothered with a six inch bluegill, but what little meat there was was delicious. I also used to examine the contents of the stomach of any bass I caught to see what they were feeding on. Crawfish and small frogs were not uncommon, but minnows were the norm.

Cleaning fish is part of being a fisherman, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

WORD, Its not nearly as bad as you may have built it up in your head,and youll feel like you accomplished something.Killing and cleaning your own food is something all carnivores should have to do and experience, although Ive never slaughtered a cow, deer and small game was a part of growing up. Thats part of being a Michigander LOL.

Go for it, get yer hands dirty.

Its a simple and fairly bloodless process. Where do you plan on fishing? Im near BelleIsle, I could give you a lesson in exchange for a fillet.

Either way good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Tere is a fish place on 8 mile at livernois, it's on the Ferndale side of 8 mile and next to the shell station. They clean caught fish.
    Oh good news!Thanks.If I decide to go fishing I'll stop in there.Any chance you know the name of the place Ferntruth?

RJK,my buddy does the catch&release. I've gone with him a few times to watch.He seems very relaxed&content when he's doing it.Trouble is with every fish I see him release the more I start craving fish&chips.

Django I may give cleaning the fish a try somewhere waaaaaaay down the line. Right now I don't think that particular Monkism in my personality will let me do it just yet

Thank you everyone

JImaz, Bizarro, and cool, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    WORD, Its not nearly as bad as you may have built it up in your head,and youll feel like you accomplished something.Killing and cleaning your own food is something all carnivores should have to do and experience, although Ive never slaughtered a cow, deer and small game was a part of growing up. Thats part of being a Michigander LOL.

Go for it, get yer hands dirty.

Its a simple and fairly bloodless process. Where do you plan on fishing? Im near BelleIsle, I could give you a lesson in exchange for a fillet.

Either way good luck
    We'd be fishing dwn by BI. I may take you up on the lesson one day. Oh does that mean I'd have to cook the fillet? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Sounds like me. I always cleaned the fish I caught. Sometimes I wondered why I bothered with a six inch bluegill, but what little meat there was was delicious. I also used to examine the contents of the stomach of any bass I caught to see what they were feeding on. Crawfish and small frogs were not uncommon, but minnows were the norm.

Which is why I've never tried to be a fisherman lol.

I'm a catch and release fisherman myself , but years ago needed some help on the food budget and caught with no release . I wonder with the economy lately if they'll be more catching and keeping ? I think I was reading that Michigan is going to allow baiting deer again ? Way back when I needed to keep what I caught , I took my salmon to a guy who knew how to filet them , he had them ready in minutes . But it depends on what fish you want cleaned as to how its done to eliminate bones .

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Oh good news!Thanks.If I decide to go fishing I'll stop in there.Any chance you know the name of the place Ferntruth?
    Blue Seas Fish Market 248-414-3400
    We clean fish at low cost!!!

I am in possession of a letter written by a cousin of mine to her brother. The letter is dated September 11, 1945, and she talks about the camp they set up every year at Lower Pettibone Lake, just north of Milford:

The camping season is about over. The old tent hung together another year -- 18 years old! It is so rotten, and every storm that we have we just wonder will it hang together. But, so far so good. Good old Pettibone fish came in mighty handy when the red points were low. We had a good lot of bass and perch from out of there this season.

If you have to ask 'what were red points, just go away, young 'un.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    We'd put the fish remains in a turtle trap [[basket partially submerged in the water) at the end of the dock. The heads would often be nailed to a tree, especially if it was a BIG fish, like a Pike, Bass or Muskie, where they'd stay for sometimes a year or so depending upon raccoons appetites. Fresh fish fried up in a pan over a fire is about as good as it gets.

Back home in Detroit we'd bury the fish remains in the yard. Dad always said it was good for the flowers and garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Thank you.You're a lifesaver