Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default How much do you use Capitol Park?

The thread about a park at site of Lafayette Bldg. got me thinking about Capitol Park and its purpose and usefulness now that it has been upgraded by the state of Michigan.
    When Stevens T. Mason got dug up this time so Capitol Park could be redone, I was hopeful. I even attended his urban-hipster ceremonial replanting. Have eaten my lunch under the one-umbrella convenience seating and felt very alone. The place is mostly empty except for the area under the large tree at the south end of the park -- the only truly people-friendly spot. The rest is mostly concrete.
    Capitol Park was redesigned for whose convenience? I understand the SOM wanted to minimize upkeep, and as much as I want to like the new place it fails as a lunchtime destination -- a people-friendly downtown respite.
    Needs moar grass and trees like a, er, park. Back in the day I believe there was a fountain. At this point I'm ready to suggest more concrete work to make ramps and rails for skate punks. Young Hotspur Mason would probably enjoy watching a nose-slide or ollie from his masoleum. Note to street vandal: Oh yeah, "I dig boy gov" too.

The park used to be heavily used 5 years ago when I lived there. At that time it was the main hub for the buses. The park had a reputation for being a dangerous spot to hang out due to the drug dealers. There were 16 shootings in the first 6 months I lived there. It didn't help that the Pizza Factory was selling prescription drugs and the soul food place was selling crack out of the back door.

On a side note, I know a lot of the residents in the low income housing used to use the park. It's a shame they couldn't have added more green space but the City never maintained what little was there before. The park was more of a haven for junkies.

I think the only way to attract people would be to attract some nice lunch businesses. That would be challenging. The buildings down there are poorly maintained. The building I stayed in at 2714 Griswold is owned by a guy in Troy. In the 2 and 1/2 years I lived there and the 5 years my bf at the time lived there, we never met the landlord. The entire back wall is slowly disintegrating. Mike Higgins owns the Farewell. We would call him several times a year to let him know the building was completely open. Who wants to eat lunch or hang out in a park surrounded by blight.

I local tried opening an affordable clothing store called Monique Monet's in Capitol park. He wanted to give back to the community he was a part of. Sadly, he had to close the store due to all the theft from his staff and the community. There is nothing there to attract people.

Correction, 1217 Girswold.

I walk through Capitol Park often, but I've never spent time just sitting there. Like the above poster said, there's not much there... I'm far less inclined to sit in Capitol Park when I can just as easily walk to Campus Martius or the Riverwalk.

I don't think Capitol Park is even designed to be a destination park- it is more of a pocket park for people to walk through or simply pause at for a moment. It's not big enough to sit around and a have picnic.

I went to the re-internment of Stevens T Mason, and was really hoping that the updated park would help spur development in that part of downtown. So far, I'm not sure that has happened, but it's still not out of the question. For one thing, the area actually seems MUCH safer. I hated going through the park prior to the installation of new street lights. There's also much more normal street life now, as opposed to pushers, hookers, and junkies. One thing is for certain, the buildings around Capitol Park had ZERO chance of redevelopment the way it was. Now, we just have to wait and see. There's a new lounge opening up in Stott Tower. D'mongos is going strong. The downtown synagogue continues to gain momentum. That coffee shop may reopen sometime soon. The lofts on Woodward that back to Capitol Park are occupied. Lots of glimmers of hope.

I'm still trying to figure out why the McDonald's over there closed so many years ago. That stretch of Griswold starting at Michigan lost a McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell and a Rite Aid [[back then it was still Perry's).

I know a few Dyes people think that's probably a good thing, but it's not.

Fast food joints, like liquor stores, are not a bad thing. But, if they are the only thing, it's another story. I personally would like to see a few more fast food stores downtown. Also close to that area when McDonald's was open was an Arby's, an Au Bon Pain [[first incarnation) and Hardees. Perhaps McDonald's closed because there were two other ones in the CBD at that time. Also, there was much more shopping on Woodward [[yes, even after Hudson's) and a fair number of office workers in the Book, Whitney, and even the Stott Building.

DetroitPole Guest

I use it about as much as I use Cass Park, Forest Park, and the other parks in the city, the majority of which are total shit. Notable exceptions are Belle Isle [[hanging in there), Balduck Park [[the field part anyway), Clark Park [[maintained by the community), and the Riverwalk parks.
    The vast majorty of parks in the city are unusable by any person who has a permanent address and are simply fields that are cut twice a year, strewn with broken equipment and garbage. The Parks and Rec Department, like PLD, needs to find some way of shedding these burdensome responsibilities if they can't adequately maintain them.
    That goes x1000 for Historic Fort Wayne. The Parks and Rec Department has no business [[not)maintaining that place.
    Last edited by DetroitPole; June-11-11 at 12:56 PM.

I walk around and through Capitol Park from time to time, but I haven't actually "looked" at the park for a while. So, I just took a short jaunt through it and all I could think about was how it reminded me of Harmonie Park or Grand Circus Park years ago. Those parks have improved considerably from the 80s and 90s and I think Capitol Park has as much potential for a turnaround as those parks did. The architecture surrounding the park is beautiful. Granted, the Farwell Building side has seen better days, but the redevelopment of the Farwell could be a game-changer. As BrushStart points out, this is a pocket park and as such, what with sidewalks and park benches, I don't expect to see a large expanse of grass. Once the new trees start to grow and the flower boxes fill out, it will look much more "green." It certainly is better than the sea of granite and concrete at Hart Plaza. Ask me again in 5 or ten years. I think this is a park that's going to become a small jewel.
    Last edited by downtownguy; June-11-11 at 04:06 PM.

I recently discovered what is probably Detroit's only semi-working pay phone in Capital Park. You can't hear what people are saying you just hear strange squeaky audio but they can hear you somewhat. I hereby unleash Detroit Yes! on the Capital Park payphone! 313 964-7211

Many folks use Capitol Park. I see grilling, chatting, chess playing, Book Cadillac employees on cigarette breaks/lounging, children playing, skaters and skate boarders, cyclists rolling through and stopping for a break, pets - even seen a dog getting a haircut. Residents of the neighborhood convene there throughout the day, everyday, weather permitting. Sadly, the design is unimaginative at best. Still, it's not a bad place to read a book while you work on your tan.

Glad to hear the residents still use the park. I know there are a lot of seniors in Capitol Park who used to enjoy it.

Cass Park can be beautiful. Unfortunately too many church groups use the park illegally to provide clothing and food and do not clean up after themselves. The organizations pile the garbage cans till they are overflowing. When it rains, piles of free clothes are left soaked. The City would need to empty the garbage cans several times a week to keep up. The organizations should be required to pull permits or pay some sort of fee for maintaining the park.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why the McDonald's over there closed so many years ago. That stretch of Griswold starting at Michigan lost a McDonald's, Wendy's, Taco Bell and a Rite Aid [[back then it was still Perry's).

I know a few Dyes people think that's probably a good thing, but it's not.
    That Mcdonalds closed for too many trouble makers and addicts hung out there. There were another mcdonalds on Congress street which had closed also. The only one open is in the GM building. The building that onced housed mcdonalds could house another restaurant once the area pick up