Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2011 Hot Rod Power Tour - Detroit

This year, Hot Rod Magazine's Power Tour ended in Detroit. More specifically, Metro Beach Metro Park. Weather wasn't totally cooperative, but I did manage to make it up there with my car and enjoy a few hours before the rain returned. I took as many pictures as the weather permitted. Stay tuned, as next week is the Gratiot Cruise, along with Motor Muster at Greenfield Village. The following weekend is the Downriver cruise, all of which I'll still be on my vacation for and able to attend.

For those interested into cars, check out my coverage of today's show at Metro Beach.

Motor City Muscle

Nice pix 'sport! I believe that last car [[the black one you thought was a Celica) is actually a Triumph TR7. The big gray bathtub is a Nash, maybe 1950 or so. Personally, I like seeing the oddball cars at events like this. It's one thing to admire Camaros/Mustangs/Corvettes but I really appreciate seeing such makes as Nash/Hudson/Studebaker.

I think you nailed it! That is a Triumph TR7 I think, I recognize it now. As for the Nash, I thought it was a Nash because of the front end, but didn't realize they made them that big! I thought they only came in the small bathtub size. LOL

A Wolf?? Looks more like a Baboon to me.

[[But don't tell the owner I said so...)
    Last edited by Whitehouse; June-11-11 at 04:54 AM.

Name:  baboon2.JPG
Views: 1039
Size:  37.7 KB

Really, I do have better things to do on Saturday morning than this. Honest!

I saw probably 100 classic cars heading down 96 yesterday, in the rain mostly. Sad the weather wasn't good. Is there one website that lists all the local car shows?

I don't think the one car I saw was a Mustang II. I don't know what it was...I would almost say the pony badge was slapped on. You got a great looking car, Sport.

Stromberg2

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post
    I saw probably 100 classic cars heading down 96 yesterday, in the rain mostly. Sad the weather wasn't good. Is there one website that lists all the local car shows?
    Try here http://www.cruisinmi.com/

If you scroll down, on the right side of my blog I have several links to websites listing car shows, weekly cruises, and the big annual car cruises in the region. Last I checked, there were about 70 weekly car cruises all within about 30 miles from Detroit. We are spoiled to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthophonic View Post
    Name:  baboon2.JPG
Views: 1039
Size:  37.7 KB

Really, I do have better things to do on Saturday morning than this. Honest!
    perhaps one of the 5 best posts i've ever read on dyes.

my dad always talked about an old nova his buddy had that would go like a raped ape. i'm not sure this is quite what he had in mind...

btw SS-the mustang is a '70. 'was the only mustang with 4 headlights standard. on a 69, the other pair would be where the vents are on the '70.

also, that's a suzuki samauri. i had an '86 which lived for 140,000ish miles until it's trade-in 1999 due to a soon to be thrown rod. something tells me that isn't the stock 1.3L, 65hp engine under the hood. paired with 4:11 gears standard front and back, it limited top speeds to about 70 unless going downhill or drafting. you could push 85 if you slingshotted past a semi, but would lose 10mph in the air wake when passing the cab.

Sport, the W-motor in that red '59 Chevy is most likely a 348. You could get the 348 with three 2-barrel carbs [[rated at 315 hp, if I remember correctly) as a factory option from '58-'61. Now, that mill could possibly be a later 409 [[Chevy enlarged the engine in mid-'61), because, dimension-wise, it should bolt right in. But I'm guessing it's a 348 because it could have been original equipment; plus, there were many more 348s produced than 409s. There was an ultra-rare W-motor made in '63 only with 427 CID [[looked just like a 409 from the outside), but it was for racing only and only a handful exist.

Of course, the 350 and 361 "Golden Commando" Plymouths would walk all over those Chevys back in '58-'59-'60... hence, Chevy's bump of the 348 to 409 size in '61... but by then, Mopar just about had the Max Wedge 413 ready... heh heh...

Way cool SS. Was thinking of going but the weather didn't get me in a hurry to go. Plan to make the Gratiot cruise.

stromberg2,

I realize it's not a Mustang II, that's just simply my way of poking fun at a Mustang. In all honesty, though I'm predominately a Chevy fan, I owned a 1970 Challenger R/T [[which is now my dad's), and wouldn't be against owning another Mopar, or a Ford. Aside from the Mustang II, and the early 80's Fox body, I'm open to pretty much any other year, with the '69-'70 being my favorites, with the 87-92 LX being probably my second favorite, though the current model is a VERY close third.

Fury13,
    I guess I just assume [[which can be dangerous) that when a car is customized, the chances of the engine being the original/numbers matching is of little concern to an owner. Recently, W-block heads came to market, and I am almost positive local manufacturer "Dart industries," is casting new blocks as well. So, I'd lean towards the 409, or bigger if they make stroker kits. If you looked through my pictures, you'd have noticed that it did in fact have a 6 carb setup, which was the icing on the cake. My long time friend, who also attended this show, agreed that this was hands down the nicest car at the show. I'm talking Riddler award type quality!

As for the 1963 427 motor, was that the "mystery motor" or was Smokey Yunick's legendary "mystery motor" the next generation big block?

Regarding the 1958-1960 Plymouth...while they were a good looking car, they can't hold a candle to the horizontal fins of the Chevy in my opinion. Now, fast foward a few years, to the 1962-1964 Sport Fury, and Plymouth wins my heart over.

On a side note, I'm about to make a blog entry regarding a car I FINALLY stopped to inquire about. One of those "I wonder what the story is on that car" situations, where I've driven past this car for about 5 years, tarped until a winter or two ago, and mistakenly had thought it was a Caddy until recently, when I conluded I was wrong. Turned out to be a 1951 Desoto with a straight 6.

Looking forward to Gratiot this weekend, and am waiting on a few parts from Summit Racing to arrive today, in preparation of the cruise.

Wife and I had a new 77 Mustang II. Worst turd we ever owned. Even though she works for AAA, we got a letter advising us our road service was being suspended because we had it towed in 13 times in the first year we owned it, We got rid of it after 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    I don't think the one car I saw was a Mustang II. I don't know what it was...I would almost say the pony badge was slapped on. You got a great looking car, Sport.

Stromberg2
    That's a mid eighties Olds Ninety Eight with that Mustang grill

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    Fury13,
    I guess I just assume [[which can be dangerous) that when a car is customized, the chances of the engine being the original/numbers matching is of little concern to an owner. Recently, W-block heads came to market, and I am almost positive local manufacturer "Dart industries," is casting new blocks as well. So, I'd lean towards the 409, or bigger if they make stroker kits. If you looked through my pictures, you'd have noticed that it did in fact have a 6 carb setup, which was the icing on the cake. My long time friend, who also attended this show, agreed that this was hands down the nicest car at the show. I'm talking Riddler award type quality!

As for the 1963 427 motor, was that the "mystery motor" or was Smokey Yunick's legendary "mystery motor" the next generation big block?

Regarding the 1958-1960 Plymouth...while they were a good looking car, they can't hold a candle to the horizontal fins of the Chevy in my opinion. Now, fast foward a few years, to the 1962-1964 Sport Fury, and Plymouth wins my heart over.
    Yep, could very well be a 409 in that '59, especially considering the 409 is not that rare of an engine [[although as I said, they made a lot more 348s). Could be a new W-motor clone too, as you said.

The Yunick "mystery motor" was the prototype for the next-generation big block, which eventually debuted as the 396. It was called the "Mk II" engine and while it did use some 409 block specs, it had the "porcupine" style heads as used in the later 396/427 [[which would be dubbed the Mk IV). The other 427, the Z-11, was a stroked 409 for racing, with special heads and intake manifold, and offered in '63 only. [[The 348/409 used a different angle deck on the block to put the combustion chamber in the block rather than in the heads.)

Regarding the fin shape, that's a matter of taste/preference. I was never a fan of the Chevy gullwings as used in '59-'60. But you're a Chevy guy so I understand your preference [[my favorite Chevy of that era is the '61). I think it's hard to beat Mopar's fins as used on the Plymouths in '57-'58 and also the fins on the big Chryslers [[New Yorker, 300C/300D, Saratoga) of those years. Funny that you mention the '62-'64 Plymouths... they bombed in the marketplace when new, but now they're popular because of their lighter weight bodies. A big block like a 413 or 426 wedge turns those cars into monsters. I am partial to the '62 Plymouth myself. It's a little odd looking, but somehow appealing too IMO.

I'll make sure to check out your blog from time to time. Interesting stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Yep, could very well be a 409 in that '59, especially considering the 409 is not that rare of an engine [[although as I said, they made a lot more 348s). Could be a new W-motor clone too, as you said.

The Yunick "mystery motor" was the prototype for the next-generation big block, which eventually debuted as the 396. It was called the "Mk II" engine and while it did use some 409 block specs, it had the "porcupine" style heads as used in the later 396/427 [[which would be dubbed the Mk IV). The other 427, the Z-11, was a stroked 409 for racing, with special heads and intake manifold, and offered in '63 only. [[The 348/409 used a different angle deck on the block to put the combustion chamber in the block rather than in the heads.)

Regarding the fin shape, that's a matter of taste/preference. I was never a fan of the Chevy gullwings as used in '59-'60. But you're a Chevy guy so I understand your preference [[my favorite Chevy of that era is the '61). I think it's hard to beat Mopar's fins as used on the Plymouths in '57-'58 and also the fins on the big Chryslers [[New Yorker, 300C/300D, Saratoga) of those years. Funny that you mention the '62-'64 Plymouths... they bombed in the marketplace when new, but now they're popular because of their lighter weight bodies. A big block like a 413 or 426 wedge turns those cars into monsters. I am partial to the '62 Plymouth myself. It's a little odd looking, but somehow appealing too IMO.

I'll make sure to check out your blog from time to time. Interesting stuff there.
    I agree, of all the early sixties Chevys, i like the 61 the best, especially the bubble-top. They are much harder to find then the 62's, 63's and 64's.

Last Day, Milford 6/11/2011

Name:  power tour.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  50.0 KB