Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "Outsider" opens new art gallery in "gritty" Detroit

Love this! And a chic Russian to boot. Can't remember the last time I saw someone so stylish in the art world. Detroit - the "new Berlin." Well, some of us knew this all along.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011060...hibition-space

I find it interesting this deep seated hatred for outsiders when it was outsiders that built the city to begin with, people wonder why outsiders hate Detroit so much but yet it is a two sided coin.

Sometimes I think the state would prefer just to succeed from the rest of the country ,nothing personal just an observation.

DetroitPole Guest

The news media keeps telling me its gritty here in virtually every piece about the city. I'm not sure what that means anymore. I did have grits for breakfast, I guess. We must eat a lot of grits.

I guess it depends on if they are quick grits or slow cooked ,I thought that was a southern thing Grits.

Where are all the Detroit artists in this project? I think I will go to the ART EFFECT GALLERY opening night.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I guess it depends on if they are quick grits or slow cooked ,I thought that was a southern thing Grits.
    Name:  MyCousinVinny3b.JPG
Views: 2159
Size:  7.4 KB

"No self-respecting southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits."

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    The news media keeps telling me its gritty here in virtually every piece about the city. I'm not sure what that means anymore. I did have grits for breakfast, I guess. We must eat a lot of grits.
    Gritty has been the press's way of saying 'dirty and f*c+*d up' for about as long as I've been living. It's another euphemism you just get used to.

bartock Guest

I saw True Grit last night and it did not remind of Detroit.