Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Metro Detroit's bus system fight may risk millions

Metro Detroit has its most realistic chance in a generation of creating a rail and bus transit system that could transform how the region commutes and launch economic redevelopment from downtown to the suburbs.

But if Detroit and tri-county leaders can't agree on combining city and suburban bus systems -- an ambition that has eluded the region for decades -- they risk forfeiting millions in federal money. • Interactive map: Which communities opt in, out of SMART.

The Obama administration has put up $25 million -- and more if the region shows it can work together -- toward Woodward Avenue light rail, a plan backed with millions more pledged by private backers

http://www.freep.com/article/2011060...text|FRONTPAGE

Voters have to let their elected officials know that regional transportation is a top priority since the officials don't seem inclined to lead. Arguments against need to be examined. If it's just racism, that needs to be called for what it is. A lot of suburbs seem to think the region can grow just fine without Detroit. Certainly there are people who studied urban and regional planning who can address this.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011061...-key-bus-issue < Have a look at the comments to this article.

Okay, here comes a rant... WTF is wrong with this region..?!!

To know that there are actually people in Metro Detroit who are fundamentally opposed to maintaining basic BUS SERVICE in a metro area of 5 million people is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who are you people
    opposed to supporting even the minimal, anorexic bus system that currently exists? I need to know, because otherwise I can't believe that this is actually happening.

Metro Detroiters don't spend SQUAT on transportation outside of the BILLIONS upon BILLIONS they gleefully fork over for a mess of crumbling and redundant roads. Without a bus service, EVERY man, woman and child will be required TO OWN A CAR JUST TO LIVE in this godforsaken region. Is that what you want?!!!

Bus service needs to be regionalized, immediately. People should be strong-armed to pay for it. What is it with the upper bourgeoisie that thinks that it can force this region even further back into feudalism? YOU cannot leave tens of thousands of people stranded simply because YOU would prefer to pump $5.00 premium gas into your ESCALADE. The taxes to support regional transportation should be FOUR TIMES what they currently are, perhaps more.

NO MORE "OPTING OUT." You can't "opt out" of paying for basic services that must be available in developed society. If YOU are one of the people who doesn't want to pay for regional transit in a developed metropolitan area, then take YOURSELF out of the metropolis. Move to rural Alabama, and GTFO of Metro Detroit. If YOU eat at a restaurant, shop at the mall, get haircuts, or buy food at a grocery store, YOU are taking advantage of the labor that rides public transit. NOT EVERY SINGLE PERSON CAN AFFORD TO, IS ABLE TO, OR DESIRES TO BUY AND MAINTAIN A CAR!!!!

Regionalize the bus system, NOW. Build mass transit, NOW.

Vox Guest

Man, where is trainman when you need him?

BrushStart,

I completely agree with most of your rant, but I would modify one tiny detail. If we spent just three times on transit what we are spending now, that would put us on a par with peer regions and would provide enough money to local-match projects like regional commuter rail, light rail and improved bus service.

Four times as much would be awesome, but I think we could squeak by with three times as much

Prof. Scott

It's pretty scary to read some of those comments in the Freep. I wonder what the one reader meant when he/she said "those people"? I honestly wonder if a bomb dropped on Detroit if the suburbs would be dancing in the streets. BrushStart, thank you for your rant, I agree with everything you said.

Stromberg2

unfortunately, there is a sizable demographic of peope here who, openly or privately, consider bus service to be only for kids and the poor... while "responsible adult taxpayers" own a car like all civilized folk, and look at any regional/state tax reform to support transit means that the their summer house won't be a tax writeoff..
    ...brooks patterson can't be put out to pasture fast enough.. hackel and ficano are center-right, and not likely to push for expanded regional transit like they could.. in detroit you have reactionaries who will harp that the city bus service is a "jewel" and regionalizing it is tantamount to giving it up to the KKK.. the city administration has to give up the nonsense and push for a formal regional service, but of course there are those in DDOT who don't want to "lose their jobs" in the personnel shuffle that would likely take place if a formal merger happened.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; June-11-11 at 11:32 PM.

Let's make the council give back their city cars for the next three months and see how they struggle trying to navigate Detroit's already woefully inadequate bus system after making these additional cuts beginning in July.

From the Detroit News:

June 13. 2011 4:37PM
    Detroit City Council defends $100M in cuts to transit, police and fire

Darren A. Nichols/ The Detroit News

Detroit — Nearly $100 million in federal transportation grants will be returned if the City Council's $50 million in additional cuts hold firm, Mayor Dave Bing said this afternoon.

The mayor's office released new details on the impact on the cuts, which would take effect July 1 if an agreement between the two sides isn't reached. The council's cuts to Detroit Police would also prevent the 40 new officers who graduate from the academy Friday from getting hired, eliminate the department's community service unit and reduce the number of officers on the street.

"These cuts won't solve our fiscal crisis. My administration reduced spending by $200 million in this budget and we did so responsibly, without hurting public safety or eliminating transportation services and park maintenance," Bing said in a statement. "We have to tell people the truth about the service reductions that we're facing if we don't reach a compromise."

In recreation, the city will shutter the Butzel Family Center and one other unnamed facility. City pools such as Detroit Marinas, Brennan at Rouge Park and Gatliff at Palmer Park will also close. Hart Plaza will be closed to sponsored events and grass at city parks and vacant lots will go uncut.

In the fire department, there's a potential closure of fire stations and a reduction in personnel.

Bing's $3.1 billion budget already included $200 million in reductions. The council cut $8.3 million to police and $4.1 million to fire; $1 million in subsidies to five cultural institutions; $3.2 million to the Recreation Department; $7.8 million from the Department of Transportation; and $4.4 million from the People Mover.

Bing has said the reductions would shut down Sunday bus service and force the closure of the People Mover.

The council overrode the mayor's veto of the budget last week. Bing issued a veto of the budget in hopes of reaching a deal during the Mackinac Policy Conference.

"My position hasn't changed at all," Council President Pro Tem Gary Brown said. "If the mayor finds new money it should be used to pay off the deficit. He should implement the budget we gave him and stop complaining about it.

"There is no such thing as a compromise in our process. He vetoed amendments and we overrode the budget so the process is over. We can't pull money out of the air like we did last year."

Brown added he's willing to sit down with the police department and the city's auditor general to find savings without making layoffs of officers.

"I can do it in one hour," Brown said.

dnichols@detnews.com

DEAR TRAINMAN,

Darta is DEAD! and so will the WOODWARD LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT!

Signed, THE STREET PROPHET

P.S.

Neda, I miss you so.

I gave Pugh a chance.

His arrogance and flippant attitude is unbelievable.

With June 26 approaching, it looks like there are going to be more people, walking, riding their bikes, catching the cab, paying private companies, just to get around metro Detroit.

This is truly the Motor City. A city which purpose is to force its population to get around only by car. It really doesn't look good for Detroit right now.

Possible swan song for Ride Ride Ride?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OyeJDHVcCA

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    With June 26 approaching, it looks like there are going to be more people, walking, riding their bikes, catching the cab, paying private companies, just to get around metro Detroit.
    More of this too.
    http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-det...-economic-woes