Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Previous Tigers President was a A Course In Miracles student

Since most of you like to dismiss A Course In Miracles I found this a little interesting to come across. John Fetzner was one of the early students of ACIM when it started to make it's circuit.

John Earl Fetzer [[March 25, 1901 - February 20, 1991) was a radio and television executive who was best known as the owner of the Detroit Tigers from 1961 through the early 1980s.

In 1956 he bought part ownership in the Tigers and became full owner in 1961. He was active in negotiating broadcast packages for Major League Baseball.
    In the early 1980s he began to divest himself of his business holdings and sold the Tigers to pizza entrepreneur Tom Monaghan after the 1983 season. Monaghan himself followed Fetzer's footsteps into broadcasting and now holds a significant stake in a number of broadcast properties airing mostly religious programming, through entities owned or controlled.

Much of Fetzer's wealth was used to establish the Fetzer Institute.
    He founded the Fetzer Institute "Our mission, to foster awareness of the power of love and forgiveness in the emerging global community, rests on our conviction that efforts to address the world's critical issues must go beyond political, social, and economic strategies to their psychological and spiritual roots." Approximate endowment = $400 000 000 in 2006.

Through my year with the Course, similarly synchronistic lessons appeared to me. Indeed, it is in the Course's interface with people's lives that they generally find themselves drawn in, resonating and convinced of the Course's genuineness and efficacy.
    At first I found it effortless, interfacing perfectly with me with my previous consciousness experiences. Then I began to have some rather spooky incidents. At lesson 69, "My grievances hide the light of the world," the student is asked to find a brilliant light within oneself that is hidden by clouds of one's assumptive universe of grievances – or as the Buddha put it Dukkha, or suffering. My meditation brought me to a still place deep inside my consciousness. Suddenly the vapors had parted and I saw this incredibly brilliant light. I was still as cynical and observant as ever, but I have to admit I was impressed with the experience. "Hey, this is pretty hot stuff," I said to myself. In the meantime my body was filled with joyous trembling.
    "

The Miracle material fits in with current scientific hypotheses that there is a central creative intelligence in the universe. It provides the missing link with all systems of meditation. We have had so many teachers in the Middle and Far East. Practically all have emphasized that you can do these things, but none have told you exactly how. This is the only material that actually effects a breakthrough. It has eliminated my hypertension and ulcers . . . I've never seen anything that has such a mark of authenticity."

JOHN FETZER, 75
    President of the Detroit Tigers,
    Radio and Television Station Owner and Operator
    Chairman of the Planning Committee of the American League

Bio from the Fetzer Institute website:
    The founder of the Fetzer Institute, [[John Earl Fetzer), was familiar with the call of the sacred within the secular. Trained as an electrical engineer, John E. Fetzer began his career in 1931 by designing, building, and operating his own radio station that he then expanded into a Michigan-based, multistate broadcasting empire including radio, television, cable, and closed-circuit music transmission. In his private life, John Fetzer had an Throughout his life he was also passionately interested in baseball, an enthusiasm that led him to purchase the Detroit Tigers baseball club. In his later yearintense intellectual curiosity about the "unseen elements" of life. He studied various forms of meditation, prayer, philosophy, and positive thinking, and explored other ways of healing.s, the sale of the team and his media holdings resulted in the endowment of the Fetzer Institute. The interests that shaped John Fetzer's life can be seen as the seedbed for the questions that define the work of the Fetzer Institute: How can the secular and sacred elements of life be better integrated? How can the insights of science and the powers of technological innovation be utilized to explore the capacities of the mind and spirit? How can the wisdom and insight gained through inner exploration be used to better our individual and collective health? And how can the entrepreneurial spirit and financial resources gained from the American business sector be used in the service of creating a better world?
    Last edited by MizMotown; June-09-11 at 12:51 PM.

Excellent post. Thank you.

DetroitYES poster Ray1936 was a cousin of Fred Knorr, who along with Fetzer, bought the Tigers from the Briggs estate in 1956. Ain't many folks here who can yawn and say, "Oh, yes, the owner of the Tigers....my cousin Fred."

Oh! That's me!! Gee!!!

My late brother Dave went to see him in the late fifties hoping to get a job at WKNR. Fred interviewed him, but Dave never got a call back. Pity, Dave had a good radio voice. Dave ended up as an electronics technician for the Feds.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Frederick A. Knorr [[died 1960) was a radio executive and part-owner of the Detroit Tigers in Major League Baseball from 1956 until his death in 1960.
    A graduate of Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan, Knorr purchased four Michigan radio stations, including WKMH, which broadcast Tigers games. In 1956, Knorr and John Fetzer led an ownership group intending to acquire the Tigers and Briggs Stadium from the Briggs family. The team was sold at a cost of $5,500,000 with assurances of retaining Walter Briggs, Jr., who was given the position of executive vice president.[1] In addition to being owner, Knorr also served as president in 1957 before being replaced by Harvey Hansen on April 19, 1957.[2]
    The team under Knorr's new direction supported integration of baseball, a position that was contrary to Walter Briggs' longtime segregationist stance.[3] On June 6, 1958, Ozzie Virgil, Sr. became the first black player for the Tigers.

The Miracle material fits in with current scientific hypotheses that there is a central creative intelligence in the universe.
    Whose scientific hypothesis?

We have had so many teachers in the Middle and Far East. Practically all have emphasized that you can do these things, but none have told you exactly how.
    What things?
    It has eliminated my hypertension and ulcers . . . I've never seen anything that has such a mark of authenticity."
    My father and brother both got rid of ulcers without the Course and before the antibiotic was discovered. But finding the bacterium that causes stomach ulcers has led to the elimination of ulcers for most people. No hocus pocus necessary.

In his later year intense intellectual curiosity about the "unseen elements" of life. He studied various forms of meditation, prayer, philosophy, and positive thinking, and explored other ways of healing.
    Maybe he should give some credit to Norman Vincent Peale.

"...Fetzer toured Europe in the late 1920s, studying radio operations, and recalled being repulsed by government monopolies on radio there. He returned to the United States at the beginnings of the Great Depression and would remain a staunch advocate of a "hands off" policy by the government in the communications industry..."
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fetze...523477?sk=wiki

We are now living with the results of deregulation. Less than ten companies own most of the media in the U.S.. No one should wonder why the American people are not properly informed about important issues.

The Fetzer Institute has some noble goals, but I wonder how they are being implemented. They have a Charter of Compassion they want everyone to sign, but their site says that forgiveness [not compassion] shapes all their work. Are they teaching corporate heads to be compassionate or are they teaching the poor to forgive corporations like Monsanto for devastating their agriculture?

RESEARCH PROJECT: STUDY
    Benevolent Love and Marriage
    California State University-Northridge
    Department of Sociology
    Vincent Jeffries, PhD
    This qualitative study examined “benevolent love” within long-term marriage [[25 years), utilizing the investigator’s long-term work on benevolent love virtues: temperance, fortitude, justice, prudence and charity.

The results found marital quality and spouses' love was high, and religious ideas had a direct bearing on attitudes/behavior within the marriage. This strong relationship of belief is consistent with theories that maintain a belief in the sacred influences the practice of benevolent love in marriage.

I find this study interesting since it concludes, as does another one of its studies, that spirituality fosters love and compassion. In this case, how does the Fetzer Institute explain the 50% divorce rate in the U.S. which purports to be a very "spiritual" society?
    Last edited by maxx; June-10-11 at 10:09 AM.

lol.. Maxx I know I can't convince you of the ACIM experience. Nobody can be unless they "do" it. But I do appreciate your somewhat 'open mind' to the unseen. I read an interesting book last week. 'The Sacred Promise," by Gary Schwartz MD. http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Promise.../dp/1582702586 He's writing another book on a synchronicity, another subject I'm highly interested in.

We have had so many teachers in the Middle and Far East. Practically all have emphasized that you can do these things, but none have told you exactly how. Have direct experience with God, or the Universe, or a higher power, or creative force. Whatever tag you want to put on it works.

It has eliminated my hypertension and ulcers . . . I've never seen anything that has such a mark of authenticity." Maybe your father and brother used the power of their minds to get rid of them? Don't know, maybe so.

In his later year intense intellectual curiosity about the "unseen elements" of life. He studied various forms of meditation, prayer, philosophy, and positive thinking, and explored other ways of healing.
    Just cuz we don't see it with our eyes, doesn't mean it isn't there. Be open to all possiblities.
    That's what I say. What you have to lose?

Neither my father nor my brother were into meditation. They just did what the doctor told them to do. My father-in-law tried the mind control business but finally ended up having part of his stomach removed because of ulcers.
    What Fetzer is talking about comes close to faith healing, and you know who is at fault when that doesn't work.

When it comes to my health, I generally do what the doctors say to do. Meditation/ prayer can decrease stress, but stress relief is not all that one needs to heal most diseases.

What do I have to lose? My ability to think critically. What do I have to gain that I can't get some other way?

Dr. Emil Guest

Some people need others to tell them what to do and how to think. Some people do not.

Some people have an Authority Problem and refuse to believe that God is their Creator, and choose the Ego as their authority instead.

Some people don't!

You did NOT create yourself. Get over it!

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Neither my father nor my brother were into meditation. They just did what the doctor told them to do. My father-in-law tried the mind control business but finally ended up having part of his stomach removed because of ulcers.
    What Fetzer is talking about comes close to faith healing, and you know who is at fault when that doesn't work.

When it comes to my health, I generally do what the doctors say to do. Meditation/ prayer can decrease stress, but stress relief is not all that one needs to heal most diseases.

What do I have to lose? My ability to think critically. What do I have to gain that I can't get some other way?
    Absolutely nothing. As long as your at peace and you teach peace to others, ain't nuthing more for you to do. Live long and prosporous!

If anyone thinks they created themselves [[their minds) than prove it to me.

The choice to judge rather than to know is the cause of the loss of peace. Judgement is the process on which perception but not knowledge rests. ACIM

God offers only mercy. Your words should reflect only mercy, because that is what you have received and that is what you should give. Justice is a temporary expedient, or an attempt to teach you the meaning of mercy. ACIM

Peace is a natural heritage of spirit. Everyone is free to refuse to accept his inheritance, but he is not free to establish what his inheritance is. The problem everyone must decide is the fundamental question of authorship. All fear comes ultimately, and sometimes by way of very devious routes, from the denial of Authorship. The offence is never to God, but only to those who deny Him. To deny His Authorship is to deny yourself the reason for your peace, so that you see yourself only in segments. This strange perception is the authority problem.

There is no one who does not feel that he is imprisoned in some way. If this is the result of his own free will he must regard his will as not free, or the circular reasoning in this position would be quite apparent. Free will must lead to freedom. Judgement always imprisons because it separates segments of reality by the unstable scales of desire. Wishes are not facts. To wish is to imply that willing is not sufficient. Yet no one in his right mind believes that what is wished is as real as what is willed. Instead of “Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven” say, “Will ye first the Kingdom of Heaven”, and you have said, “I know what I am and I accept my own inheritance”. ACIM

Tell me Maxx. What do you think it wrong with the world/society? Why are so many people depressed? Why are so many hopeless? Why are their so many hyprocrites? Why do people feel that something is wrong with things right now?

If you are one the rare ones who have freed yourself from loss of peace/anxiety, wishing that life was anything different for you than it is right now, etc... seriously all the power to you. You've transcended to a place that not everyone is at. Whether it's through religions, sprituality, just plain old conversation, whatever it's your job to help others how to reach that place. Not everyone KNOWS the freedom of forgiveness, of letting things be as they are. Not everyone experinces pure joy just being who they are. That is why we have lots of addicts. That is why we have lots of people distracting themselves with TV, video games, alcohol, sex, food... etc... So if you have the knowledge of how to experience peace more often than not.... than give that knowledge away to everyone you meet because giving is how you receive. Be a teacher of God whether your a believer or not, just because it makes you a useful person.
    Last edited by MizMotown; June-13-11 at 02:35 PM.

Dr. Emil Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Some people have an Authority Problem and refuse to believe that God is their Creator, and choose the Ego as their authority instead.

Some people don't!

Such a simple minded response. Are those the only options you can think of? God believers and egotists? I never said anything about who created who, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. I was just commenting on the fact that some people, like you apparently, need other people to tell them how to think and act.

Absolutely nothing. As long as your at peace and you teach peace to others, ain't nuthing more for you to do. Live long and prosporous!
    You suck at spelling.

If anyone thinks they created themselves [[their minds) than prove it to me.

The choice to judge rather than to know is the cause of the loss of peace. Judgement is the process on which perception but not knowledge rests. ACIM

God offers only mercy. Your words should reflect only mercy, because that is what you have received and that is what you should give. Justice is a temporary expedient, or an attempt to teach you the meaning of mercy. ACIM

Peace is a natural heritage of spirit. Everyone is free to refuse to accept his inheritance, but he is not free to establish what his inheritance is. The problem everyone must decide is the fundamental question of authorship. All fear comes ultimately, and sometimes by way of very devious routes, from the denial of Authorship. The offence is never to God, but only to those who deny Him. To deny His Authorship is to deny yourself the reason for your peace, so that you see yourself only in segments. This strange perception is the authority problem.

There is no one who does not feel that he is imprisoned in some way. If this is the result of his own free will he must regard his will as not free, or the circular reasoning in this position would be quite apparent. Free will must lead to freedom. Judgement always imprisons because it separates segments of reality by the unstable scales of desire. Wishes are not facts. To wish is to imply that willing is not sufficient. Yet no one in his right mind believes that what is wished is as real as what is willed. Instead of “Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven” say, “Will ye first the Kingdom of Heaven”, and you have said, “I know what I am and I accept my own inheritance”. ACIM
    TLDR

Tell me Maxx. What do you think it wrong with the world/society? Why are so many people depressed? Why are so many hopeless? Why are their so many hyprocrites? Why do people feel that something is wrong with things right now?
    Why do some people put cheese on their corn? Why don't airplanes come standard with parachutes? Why do some people believe thunder is the product of angry gods?

Some people have an Authority Problem and refuse to believe that God is their Creator,
    That is just your belief. Did you watch "Sixty Minutes" last night?
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...in;contentBody

and choose the Ego as their authority instead.
    Being skeptical about the supernatural isn't necessarily being egotistical. A person without an ego at all has no identity.

People are created by human reproduction.

BTW, how much caffeine do you consume a day?
    Last edited by maxx; June-13-11 at 04:37 PM.

Such a simple minded response. Are those the only options you can think of? God believers and egotists? I never said anything about who created who, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. I was just commenting on the fact that some people, like you apparently, need other people to tell them how to think and act.

lol... that's a hilarious response. Tell me more options. And thank you for judging me and which people are you referring to that tells me how to think and act?

You know what.. it's ok. Don't bother. lol

Maxx... 60 minutes does not matter to me. I know what I know from direct experience. Call it what you will. Maybe I don't have all the answers and neither does ANYONE else. Most people have WAY to much EGO Maxx. Use logic and the state of the world since your so damn good at using it.

Other than that have a beautiful day my brother Maxx. :-) Over and Out

The problems with society and people's negative feelings cannot be answered with a single word or idea. Most religions don't offer much happiness to the 21st century middle class person while they are alive because they came out of ancient societies.

Maxx... 60 minutes does not matter to me. I know what I know from direct experience.
    What could be more egotistical than thinking that you don't need to learn anything, that all you need to know is what you experience first-hand? That is very limiting. What are you afraid of?

The choice to judge rather than to know is the cause of the loss of peace.
    You judged that you didn't need to know about the latest work in cell biology "Sixty Minutes" reported on. Why is it that the more educated one is, whether formally or self-educated, the more skeptical one is?

The Miracle material fits in with current scientific hypotheses that there is a central creative intelligence in the universe.
    I don't think you answered my question about this quote. Doesn't anyone question the statements that people associated with the Course make?

Your words should reflect only mercy, because that is what you have received and that is what you should give. Justice is a temporary expedient, or an attempt to teach you the meaning of mercy. ACIM
    I could see where corporations would really like ACIM. Don't sue that business that hurt you; be merciful.
    Last edited by maxx; June-14-11 at 12:12 PM.

You won't hear anymore on ACIM from me I promise...lol... it's not a religion, it's psychology written in Christian terminology and I'm sure it has it's reasons for that. Unless you choose to open your mind to further experience and possibilities and actually read ACIM and attempt to do some of the workbook, instead of pick apart anything I may say or quote on here then there is really no basis for discussion. I understand that.

and yes my spelling s*cks sometimes. not that i can't spell. i just don't put much effort into these posts. could be a good/bad thing I guess.

Again, have a "blessed" day... lol. Expect miracles!

Well, I hope all you ACIM people are concentrating really hard on stopping global climate change. Of course, the people of the 14th c. onward whipped themselves and burned other people to stop the black death and they continued to die by the thousands for 500 years. Only when science discovered the cause of the plague, fleas not any god, did we come up with a means to fight it and eventually a vaccine for it.

There's something very dangerous about people who just accept statements someone makes without questioning its credibility. The more outlandish the claim, the more need for verification.
    Last edited by maxx; June-15-11 at 05:04 AM.

That is completely what ACIM is NOT about. That is what you don't understand. And your lack of understanding comes from lack of knowledge about it. This is how "witches" were burned at the stake. This is fine Maxx. But don't judge what you don't know. I am not against science and neither are Course students, it just takes a different view on what is of spirit and what is of ego [[form). You are assuming ACIM is some new agey, religious mumbo jumbo. It is not. It has been described as a brillant thought system that is unique. Again, it can only be experienced, not explained.

Have a spectacular day Maxx!

Much Love

Dr. Emil Guest

You won't hear anymore on ACIM from me I promise.

Shit, you could hardly go a whole day without talking more about your cult...

That is completely what ACIM is NOT about. That is what you don't understand. And your lack of understanding comes from lack of knowledge about it. This is how "witches" were burned at the stake. This is fine Maxx. But don't judge what you don't know. I am not against science and neither are Course students, it just takes a different view on what is of spirit and what is of ego [[form). You are assuming ACIM is some new agey, religious mumbo jumbo. It is not. It has been described as a brillant thought system that is unique. Again, it can only be experienced, not explained.
    Is that part of you brainwashing? Is there a special course on making promises and then breaking them a day later?

God Bless Dr. Emil.... lol
    May You Be At Peace Always

I could post many quotes on ignorance... but since your doctor and alot of doctors that I encounter believe they are up there with God, except God isn't arrogant with a self centered sense of entitlement I won't bother.

Peace

You won't hear anymore on ACIM from me I promise...lol... it's not a religion, it's psychology written in Christian terminology
    Psychology has its own terminology.

and I'm sure it has it's reasons for that.
    Conflating christianity with psychology may create a bunch of true believers. Peace to you too, MizMotown.

hey however one reaches peace in their lives all the power to them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast