Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Part of Woodward Avenue closed in Highland Park due to falling bricks

HIGHLAND PARK, Mich. [[WXYZ) - Bricks falling from a building have forced the closure of a section of Woodward Avenue in Highland Park.

At the moment, only the two southbound lanes are closed on Woodward near Tuxedo, but the Michigan Department of Transportation says both the northbound and southbound lanes may have to close when a demolition crew arrives to assess the situation.

Bricks have been falling from what appears to be an abandoned building. Action News crews are on the scene and say there are still more bricks hanging precariously.

A passerby says the bricks were bowed out and bulging this weekend.

A demolition crew has been called in to scale the building to prevent more debris from falling onto the road.

The closure is expected to last until the afternoon.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...falling-bricks

The upper floor on the Woodward side of the building has been bulging for a few years. There has been a large area of missing bricks on the upper north side of the building for years. Anyone know what this building use to be?

Quote Originally Posted by begingri View Post
    HIGHLAND PARK, Mich. [[WXYZ) - Bricks falling from a building have forced the closure of a section of Woodward Avenue in Highland Park.

At the moment, only the two southbound lanes are closed on Woodward near Tuxedo, but the Michigan Department of Transportation says both the northbound and southbound lanes may have to close when a demolition crew arrives to assess the situation.

Bricks have been falling from what appears to be an abandoned building. Action News crews are on the scene and say there are still more bricks hanging precariously.

A passerby says the bricks were bowed out and bulging this weekend.

A demolition crew has been called in to scale the building to prevent more debris from falling onto the road.

The closure is expected to last until the afternoon.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...falling-bricks

That building has been sitting there falling apart since at least the late 1980s. It used to be the John F. Ivory Warehouse. There's a bus stop right in front of it-- those falling bricks literally could have killed someone.

One odd thing about this building are the notices people write on it, advertising rooms for rent. The notices are painted in sloppy lettering, making them look like a child wrote them.

I am surprised it took this long. I hated driving by this building for years because those bricks have been bulging for a long time. When I heard about this I assumed that it was this building.

My memory wants to say that a long time ago there was a pet store at street level......

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferL View Post
    That building has been sitting there falling apart since at least the late 1980s. It used to be the John F. Ivory Warehouse. There's a bus stop right in front of it-- those falling bricks literally could have killed someone.

One odd thing about this building are the notices people write on it, advertising rooms for rent. The notices are painted in sloppy lettering, making them look like a child wrote them.
    I used to wait for the bus there after doing a bit of shopping at SaveAlot. I noticed the signs you mention. There were a few signs for boarding houses that said they'd pick up people&take them to the BH. IA with you about the writing lol.
    Thank God no one was standing there when the bricks started to tumble.