Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Shorpy: Briggs Stadium - August 1942

Anyone recognize a relative? These kids would be in their early 80s by now.

What about those suspenders? And what kid would wear a vest and tie IN AUGUST to the ballpark today?

Name:  Briggs Stadium - August 1942.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  46.4 KB

The majority of those kids are probably deceased now. Most people back then dressed up to go to a baseball game. I've seen plenty of pics where men had on suits and hats no matter how hot it was. Good pic.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-09-11 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The majority of those kids are probably deceased now. Most people back then dressed up to go to a baseball game. I've seen plenty of pics where men had on suits and hats no matter how hot it was. Good pic.
    If you watch videos of the 1968 World Series, even then most men were wearing ties to the game.

I think Ray mentioned once that this picture is a group of news boys. Could be wrong.

A kid who skipped school.

Quote Originally Posted by Packman41 View Post
    And what kid would wear a vest and tie IN AUGUST to the ballpark today?

Name:  Briggs Stadium - August 1942.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  46.4 KB
    Might have been a Sunday game & he just came from church.

Vox Guest

It could also be associated with the safety patrol, but from what I remember of the day, we wore our belts for the afternoon that day. Although it was probably when school was in session.

But since it was in August, I'd imagine that the safety patrol belts were stored at the school for the next year assignment, if that was the case.

In the LOC, they have a series of pictures taken by John Vachon that day. None seem to be available, but maybe I am just missing them. It is a series of 17 pictures. Here is the summary:

Photographs show baseball game at Briggs Stadium between Detroit Tigers and
    Cleveland Indians. Preparing the field, raising flag, game in progress. Stands
    and bleachers. Juvenile and adult spectators. Group of school children on their
    way to the game. Ticket window.

Vox Guest

And by the way, the day was Wednesday, August 19 1942, Detroit 6, Cleveland 1, in a single game played at Tiger Stadium. Wasn't a series, so probably a rain makeup game.

Only 9736 paid attendence. Think that they let kids in free?

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...190DET1942.htm
    Last edited by Vox; June-09-11 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    A kid who skipped school.
    Excellent... Lots of kids from Holy Trinity just down the street!