Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Plum street memories:

I found this article about Plum street and it brought back a few memories. I was too young to be a part of the counter culture at the time but my Mom used to take my sister and I down to Plum St. to hippy watch.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=136

Plum Street is why I moved to San Francisco in 1968....

Thanks for posting the link to that article rajdet, very interesting! It would appear the area that was Plum and 5th was replaced by the Lodge and it's service drives to I75. Does anyone know if that's true?

That was an interesting article. I was there, I remember being alienated by the drug culture, so dropped out. Kept the philosophy but stayed away from the events. My memories of Plum Street are happy, I guess when I was there, I didn't see any problems, but of course, panhandlers just like now, only hippies.

I was cleaning out some boxes from the 70s a while back and came across some hand dipped candles from Prometheus. They were on sticks, and when you lit the stick, the candle would burn with a strobe effect. Lots of smoke, really cool look in a darkened room. Wooooooow...., man.....

I have vague rememberences of Plum Street as I was just a wee Planner back then. My parents would bring us to the nearby Ethnic Festivals and to this place. Prior to Hart Plaza, ethnic festivals were held either at Michigan and 3rd or on the strip of land in front of Cobo.

What I remember are stores selling candles, candy, and ice cream. I do remember it being full of dirty hippies too!

Hey thanks for the typo correction.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I have vague rememberences of Plum Street as I was just a wee Planner back then. My parents would bring us to the nearby Ethnic Festivals and to this place. Prior to Hart Plaza, ethnic festivals were held either at Michigan and 3rd or on the strip of land in front of Cobo.

What I remember are stores selling candles, candy, and ice cream. I do remember it being full of dirty hippies too!
    i would have to say the same dp.