Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default I'm Willing To Take My Chances

I'm just plain sick and tired of living in a society that's in perpetual crisis. Honestly, I'm not afraid that if we pull out of Afghanistan, I'm going to die. We're still spending over $6.5 billion a month providing protection, building schools and building infrastructure. We all know that the bulk of it is going into peoples pockets. In a recent poll, most Afghanistan citizens didn't even know what 9/11 was.

Is Afghanistan going to go into crisis if we leave? Yes. If we stay another 10 years and leave will they go into crisis? Yes. Are we ever going to change the middle east? No. Will there be more terrorist attacks here and around the world? Yes. Welcome to the future.

My question is, we've beat the snot out of most of the main terrorist groups. In a sense, we've done what we can. But are they beginning to win in their terrorist efforts by bankrupting our country? We're closing our schools, libraries, and denying Americans basic medical assistance. We're losing basic police protection, fire protection and our infrastructure is in horrible shape. We're sacrificing 20 year old kids because they can't find jobs here. Why are we doing this to ourselves? And, we are doing this to ourselves.

OG, you sound like the Afghani's are the problem with us leaving their country. The problem is the republicrats and demicans. They're the ones keeping us there. They've been bought and sold by the defense industry and corporate Amerika. NO!Bama no more believes we're establishing democracy in Afghanistan than did Bush2. They're both part of the problem - not the solution. We should've never been there and we should be out - now.

We never learned from Vietnam. Sigh.

No we didn't. Sometimes I think the media exists just to keep us in a constant state of red [[pardon the pun) alert. We had to be in Vietnam according to the powers that be because of the domino theory. Well Vietnam fell but the domino theory didn't happen.

I think we get so worn down with warnings about dire happenings that we get fatigue and then over time we let our guard down. I firmly believe thats when events like 9-11 happen.

Actually 1KD, it is the people in Washington that I'm pointing the finger at. But in a sense, that puts all of us into play too. Ray's correct, we never learned a damn thing from Vietnam. Today, we're doing business with them. Back during the days of Vietnam though, when the majority of the people in this country said enough is enough, we were gone. I think that just about everyone in this country feels the same way today, but nothing is happening.

Economics isn't my strong point and I'm sure that a number of things I've been thinking about concerning this $6.5 billion a month are naive. But think about a 90 day period at that rate. It's just shy of $20 billion dollars. Do you have any idea how many good paying construction jobs and projects lasting say, 3 years that could pay for. The extra jobs that would be created from those projects and the improvements that could be made to our infrastructure.
    And for those that say we shouldn't be spending that money because we don't actually have it, fine. But to use it even for a kick start for 3 months and then eliminate it seems as though it would at least be a more reasonable and plausible use of money for the people of this country.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    And for those that say we shouldn't be spending that money because we don't actually have it, fine. But to use it even for a kick start for 3 months and then eliminate it seems as though it would at least be a more reasonable and plausible use of money for the people of this country.
    Gosh, yes. We could put Joplin back on its feet, shore up all the levees everywhere, rebuild our infrastructure where needed [[which is all over!), and secure our borders air-tight. Somehow, I don't think I'm referring to the Canadian border...........

Yes, bring it all back home where we are being starved of our government's support with no solutions in sight.

It's completely insane what is going on? Is it karma coming back to kick America's greedy, self-serving, arrogant ass? The higher you are, the harder you fall. United we stand, divided we fall.

I think we get so worn down with warnings about dire happenings that we get fatigue and then over time we let our guard down. I firmly believe thats when events like 9-11 happen.

Pop another prozac and look the other way. People need to wake up and stop denying the denial of truth.

Unfortunately the military industrial complex that controls the stooges in Washington don't reap the profits of shoring up our infrastructure back in the states. If they did, I can pretty much guarantee that we'd be tackling all the issues that were mentioned above.

The higher you are, the harder you fall.
    Not if you have your millions socked away in secret bank accounts.

Unfortunately the military industrial complex that controls the stooges in Washington don't reap the profits of shoring up our infrastructure back in the states. If they did, I can pretty much guarantee that we'd be tackling all the issues that were mentioned above.
    We've got to get big money out of our elections.
    Last edited by maxx; June-10-11 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Amen brother!

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Agreed, but tough to do when the Supreme Court has given it their blessing.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Agreed, but tough to do when the Supreme Court has given it their blessing.
    Indeed.Oh the joys of a right leaning court....