Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Jalopnik says farewell to the last DeSoto remnants.

Link

Anyone seen what's happening there?
    Are there photo's of the demo?

Google maps.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; June-08-11 at 02:41 PM.

I had no idea that was once a DeSoto plant. The last thing I remember there was a Chrysler glass operation.

They tore that down pretty fast for such a large building .

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Link

Anyone seen what's happening there?
    Are there photo's of the demo?

Google maps.
    Thanks for the link and map. I've been watching its demise for months. Until it was discussed here at DY, I last remembered it as the glass plant. I learned a lot of its history as it was posted. I usually stop at the gas station on the northwest corner of Wyoming and Michigan [[cheapest gas along the corridor) on my commute between A2 and Hamtown, so I get a good look at it. I've been planning to cruise around it during daylight hours and checking out the old Kelsey Hayes site and the former Continental/Edison site along Livernois. If I get there and I have the time, I'll post photos.

Interesting last I was told was that it was sold to Customs to be used as a freight inspection station it was not good at the time because the sales price was sealed and could not be used for comps.

It was on the market for $9,950,000 and now after demo $2,150,000 for 26 acres between this property and another that was posted recently large acreage properties are starting to have value in the land verses the buildings as a result of weak incentive packages.Without them it is easier to get hedge fund financing to build a new building verses renovating or repurposing the existing ,historic or not buildings have little value right now.

Always drove past it on my way to the Tiger Games, Weather by Mich Ave or 94. I will miss seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Always drove past it on my way to the Tiger Games, Weather by Mich Ave or 94. I will miss seeing it.
    Yes, agreed. In a city of tens of thousands of industrial buildings, it was an icon in my memory. Even way back in my youth before I had an inkling who Albert Kahn was and his importance to architecture, design and industry. It was a beautiful building to an untrained, but experienced eye. Hard to believe a lot of us grew up looking at and living amongst industrial buildings and we actually liked and enjoyed them. This site helps to bring us together.

What really blows my mind with some commercial property owners in Detroit is that instead of lets say accepting an offer of $3,500,000 they would rather bear the cost of the demolition,unless of course the money came from elsewhere.

IMHO I think this needs to be investigated there is something fishy as it was listed as sold.