Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Good turnout for a good US soccer game last night

Around 28k +1 and a great experience. Crowd was into the match and people seemed to enjoy themselves. Maybe the MLS will take notice.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011060...text|FRONTPAGE

It was a good match, the early game was awesome as well. Guadeloupe came back from a man down to almost tie it at 3!

they got 28,000 people out for a soccer game! Were tickets free from Belle tire?

Nope, the game wasn't even advertised that much locally. I think it would have been easy to get a sellout with a little TV and billboard pushing

Here's Landon Donovan showing a little Detroit love

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...s-detroit-2013

Here's coach Bradley's son Michael in the jersey of my club sc Heerenveen. He was one of the stars of the team before his transfer to a German club. Yesterday he proudly wore the USA shirt with number 4.

Wiki
    Last edited by Whitehouse; June-08-11 at 01:11 PM.

28,000 people for a soccer event in Detroit seems like an indicator of how poorly received soccer is here in the States. Anyone who is remotely into soccer probably was at that event, seeing as there are very rarely any significant soccer games in metro Detroit. Imagine 28,000 people in the Silverdome. It will be like nobody is there at all. I'm obviously not a soccer fan, but it would make more sense to me to build an open air 25,000 seat stadium somewhere so it's packed for every game as opposed to being in a building thats 2/3 empty. Of course, the people who want an MLS team here own the Silverdome so it would make no sense to do that, but soccer is just not going to take off in America. Very few people wanna watch a sport where the game is 1-0 or 0-0 with 3 shots on goal total.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Of course, the people who want an MLS team here own the Silverdome so it would make no sense to do that, but soccer is just not going to take off in America. Very few people wanna watch a sport where the game is 1-0 or 0-0 with 3 shots on goal total.

Soccer could very well take off in America [[some would say its already on the way), and possibly at the expense of American Football. The rules of football haven't really been changed to compensate for the size, speed, and strength of today's players. Many former NFL players have symptoms significant brain injury. Once the scientists make their studies [[probably after the players from the 90s through the present reach their 40s and 50s), and more importantly...once the litigation starts...the future of that sport could be up in the air. It would be a big "if", and it won't happen anytime soon, but it's a distinct possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Soccer could very well take off in America [[some would say its already on the way), and possibly at the expense of American Football. The rules of football haven't really been changed to compensate for the size, speed, and strength of today's players. Many former NFL players have symptoms significant brain injury. Once the scientists make their studies [[probably after the players from the 90s through the present reach their 40s and 50s), and more importantly...once the litigation starts...the future of that sport could be up in the air. It would be a big "if", and it won't happen anytime soon, but it's a distinct possibility.
    I just think it's such a niche sport. People wanna see violence and high scoring. David Beckham came to America to play and it was a big deal for 45 minutes. Then everyone realized it was soccer and cared more about where he was hanging out in Hollywood and what his wife was wearing. I'm not trying to bash soccer, it's just not my sport. But I think I'm in the majority of the population who thinks it's just a third tier sport.

I think this is a deja vu thread, as I remember someone saying that since WE don't have a MLS team WE, Detroiters, don't "care" about soccer. I don't know how a MLS team would fare in Detroit, but I do know that the cities who do have MLS teams do care about their team. Don't generalize how other Americans feel about soccer just because Detroiters don't seem to "care", which is arguable.

That being said, if Detroit did receive a team I love to go matches.

I find it funny that we question soccer on a pro-level, but we don't question why soccer is usually the first sport parents place their kids in.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I find it funny that we question soccer on a pro-level, but we don't question why soccer is usually the first sport parents place their kids in.
    It's cheap and anyone can play.

And I don't think I'm generalizing how Americans feel about soccer, I'm fairly certain it's a consensus. I'm pretty sure it's about as popular as ice hockey in Mississippi...

And I don't think I'm generalizing how Americans feel about soccer, I'm fairly certain it's a consensus. I'm pretty sure it's about as popular as ice hockey in Mississippi...
    Well, exactly. Just because Mississippians don't care about ice hockey doesn't mean the rest of America doesn't. Just because us Detroiters don't have a MLS team, doesn't mean the rest of America doesn't like soccer.

It's cheap and anyone can play.

couldn't be farther from the truth. While other leagues in this country are going through lockouts, about to go through lockouts or are having some other financial issues, MLS is expanding. Furthermore, MLS averages about 16,000 fans per game. If that is a weak crowd, then I also fear for the survival of both the NHL and the NBA who both only average around 17,000 fans per game.

Also, in regards to Beckham, the reason people lost interest is that he wasn't really Beckham anymore. He was a name by that point in his career. His skills had degraded greatly and he wasn't even the best player on his team. Some people thought the competition in MSL would be weak enough where he could come in and dominate in the way he used to in the Premiership and in La Liga. He was good, but people underestimated the quality of play on this side of the pond and how old Beckham had become.

It's pretty obvious you don't like soccer. However, a lot of people do. I think MLS could do very well in a renovated Silverdome [[the new owner plans to convert it into a soccer venue that seats about 30,000).

the only thing that is more boring than watching soccer is watching golf..... but at least soccer is a real sport....

I was at the game and I LOVE soccer. At first I was surprised at the low turnout compared to other USMNT games I've seen in Chicago which had 50 - 60k fans [[vs. Poland and Honduras), but considering that it was a late game on a week night, and we were playing Canada [[which is also not huge soccer nation) I think the turnout was pretty good. I hope Detroit gets an MLS team. I would be a season ticket holder, but I would like to see a special event bus to get to the games out in Pontiac... Does anyone know if DDOT or SMART had busses for the Lions games when they played in Pontiac???

My stadium. Build as a 13.500 all seater back in 1994.

Stadium in 1997 during the first expansion on the main stand.

It grew and [grew[/b], and now it's a 24.100 seater combined with 1.200 stands.

Always a packed house.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Soccer could very well take off in America [[some would say its already on the way), and possibly at the expense of American Football.
    Are you high?

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post

The major difference is that 17-20,000 is a sellout in the NHL. They're not going to make bigger NHL arenas. A soccer stadium could hold up to 100,000 if they wanted. So of course the attendance is going to be higher for soccer- it has a much higher ceiling.

That said, my son went to the game with his soccer team [[11U) and they all had a great time. I think a local MLS team would get pretty good support given that it seems the majority of kids nowadays play soccer at some level.

Most MLS teams now play in 20,000 seat stadiums. Keeping the demand there and creating a situation nearly identical to the NHL, where a more regional /localized sports scene is more than enough to carry a franchise.

The NHL is probably more of a niche sport than soccer at this point. There are a lot of hockey fanatics in the upper midwest and northeast but nobody cares in the south, which is why it was idiotic to move so many teams there. I think kids everywhere play soccer, whereas most kids don't play hockey due to expense and crazy practice/game schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    Most MLS teams now play in 20,000 seat stadiums. Keeping the demand there and creating a situation nearly identical to the NHL, where a more regional /localized sports scene is more than enough to carry a franchise.
    Exactly. The majority of MLS teams have their own stadiums. Only a handful share their facilities with anyone and they've kept those stadiums around 20,000 in size.

AC Milan vs. Panathinaikos drew 30,514 last year at the Silverdome on a Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by motownmark04 View Post
    AC Milan vs. Panathinaikos drew 30,514 last year at the Silverdome on a Friday night.
    Yes, we saw that one plus the Panama/Guadaloupe and US/Canada doubleheader at Ford Field on June 7. Neither AC Milan nor Panathinaikos have significant fan bases here in Detroit, so good for them for drawing a respectable crowd. At Ford Field there were a lot of Canadian fans, too. We sat next to a former high school soccer coach from Windsor.

US/Canada isn't really a big soccer rivalry. US/Canada in hockey or US/Mexico in soccer would draw a much bigger crowd. We also went to see US vs Honduras in Chicago for World Cup qualifying. What was interesting to me there is that the Honduran fans were a lot more vocal in their team support and talking to some after the game I realized that they came from all over the country, west coast to east coast, to support their team.

Clearly there are a lot of people who don't see the appeal of soccer. Fair enough. But it does have a decent size fan base. A lot of Spanish-speaking immigrants are big soccer fans, and I see a lot of pickup games in SW Detroit. Several of the ads broadcast on the Ford Field screens were in Spanish, as are many of the ads on cable broadcasts [[my personal favorite is the urinary incontinence ad which is overdubbed in Spanish. No, this one did not make the cut for the Ford Field match.)

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    couldn't be farther from the truth. While other leagues in this country are going through lockouts, about to go through lockouts or are having some other financial issues, MLS is expanding. Furthermore, MLS averages about 16,000 fans per game. If that is a weak crowd, then I also fear for the survival of both the NHL and the NBA who both only average around 17,000 fans per game.

Also, in regards to Beckham, the reason people lost interest is that he wasn't really Beckham anymore. He was a name by that point in his career. His skills had degraded greatly and he wasn't even the best player on his team. Some people thought the competition in MSL would be weak enough where he could come in and dominate in the way he used to in the Premiership and in La Liga. He was good, but people underestimated the quality of play on this side of the pond and how old Beckham had become.

It's pretty obvious you don't like soccer. However, a lot of people do. I think MLS could do very well in a renovated Silverdome [[the new owner plans to convert it into a soccer venue that seats about 30,000).

Everything you said here was valid. I was speaking more so to the relative costs as in regard to kids playing soccer. Pretty cheap compared to hockey. And I think we all knew bringing David Backham here was a PR move to sell tickets. He's not what he was 10 years ago.

My only concern is that [[and I don NOT know the statistics on this) is that even though MLS may be an expanding sport in America, it still takes a backseat to MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL, NASCAR, Pro Golf, College Sports, and possibly even MMA Fighting. I'm not saying that everyone hates it, because I have friends that like and play it, but I just don't think it could ever really make it into the main spectrum of sporting in America. Although you bring up a good point in the potential NFL and NBA lockouts. There will be a ton of exposure for the NHL during that time if those leagues are shut down for a year and maybe soccer will see an up-tick in popularity as well.

Everything you said here was valid. I was speaking more so to the relative costs as in regard to kids playing soccer. Pretty cheap compared to hockey. And I think we all knew bringing David Backham here was a PR move to sell tickets. He's not what he was 10 years ago.

My only concern is that [[and I don NOT know the statistics on this) is that even though MLS may be an expanding sport in America, it still takes a backseat to MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL, NASCAR, Pro Golf, College Sports, and possibly even MMA Fighting. I'm not saying that everyone hates it, because I have friends that like and play it, but I just don't think it could ever really make it into the main spectrum of sporting in America. Although you bring up a good point in the potential NFL and NBA lockouts. There will be a ton of exposure for the NHL during that time if those leagues are shut down for a year and maybe soccer will see an up-tick in popularity as well.
    Here is the problem with your pro-NHL potential. TV contracts. The NHL just re-upped their deal with Versus. 75% of the people in this country couldn't find Versus on their cable/satellite without consulting their guide. Most people just don't watch a network that, when not showing hockey, is mainly showing rodeo, hunting and fishing. If the NBA and the NFL aren't on they will just watch reality tv or something before hockey.

MLS, on the other hand has deals with ESPN and Fox. If those two networks don't have NFL and NBA programming to fill their time slots then they are going to turn to promoting the other products they have signed on for. College sports would get the biggest boost, but right behind them would be MLS front and center.

The other thing that aids MLS is demographics. We are quickly becoming a Latin country. Between NHL and MLS, latinos watch more MLS running away. Over time, soccer will join the pantheon with the other major sports simply because of the increased popularity among white Americans and the increased Latino population. Soccer is simply trending up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast