Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Work has begun at MCS

Today through July 29th Asbestos removal and other contractors will be on sight removing windows and other contaminants around the first floor.

I am thoroughly surprised. Where did you hear/read this, mcsdetroit?

Detroiturbex.com's FB page made the announcement then posted photographs. I knew they planned on starting today for about a week as the info is posted on Michigan's DLEG website, work will continue until July 29th

As soon as he loses his bid to stop the bridge...watch him implode MCS...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I would consider that a win win.

Nah he won't spend the money. However, as soon as he loses his bid, I'd bet money any and all work stops and it goes back to being unsecured.

All i know for sure is the deposit has been paid for the work, I think they're in this regardless of the bridge at this point

Default Action at the MCS?!?!?!

Driving by the Michigan Central Station aka "The Train Station" this evening, I noticed that there were a couple of large ladder trucks out front. I saw a car parked out front that looked like a security guard of some sort, so I stopped and asked him, "What are they doing to the train station?" He said, "They are tearing it down!" and then he drove away. I know that this guy obvioiusly had NO idea what he talking about, but here is the sight anyway.
    Name:  DSC_0691.jpg
Views: 7657
Size:  43.2 KB

Wallside is on the job.

OK, while I deplore this tactic... here's an interesting question.... if the bridge is built... then Eminent Domain WILL OCCUR in that neighborhood.... do you thinkg that the folks currently living there are going to be happy even with twice the CURRENT MARKET VALUE for their homes???

I highly doubt that... the way Detroit real estate has been depressed... those people will want many times the current market value for their homes.... possibly 10 fold.

The current housing market could turn the new public bridge into another Poletown type fiasco for homeowners screaming that they're forced from their homes with nowhere affordable to move to.... at least that's a possibility...

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    I would consider that a win win.
    Something tells me that you would be in the minority in that viewpoint... I think a lot more folks on this forum would view a mothballed [[new roof, windows) but still empty MCS to just another empty lot in Detroit.... which are in abundant supply...

I don't think so Gistok, a cleaned up historic architectural and cultural gem like MCS is leaps and bounds better than a trash-strewn vacant lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Something tells me that you would be in the minority in that viewpoint... I think a lot more folks on this forum would view a mothballed [[new roof, windows) but still empty MCS to just another empty lot in Detroit.... which are in abundant supply...
    If the owner will not care for the property, its better off gone. Too many folks sneak into it causing issues for police. I would dread to see what would happen in case of a fire. I've been told that the place is mostly concrete, but it would be a real shame if any fireman lost his life because the owner won't secure and care for his property.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    OK, while I deplore this tactic... here's an interesting question.... if the bridge is built... then Eminent Domain WILL OCCUR in that neighborhood.... do you thinkg that the folks currently living there are going to be happy even with twice the CURRENT MARKET VALUE for their homes???

I highly doubt that... the way Detroit real estate has been depressed... those people will want many times the current market value for their homes.... possibly 10 fold.

The current housing market could turn the new public bridge into another Poletown type fiasco for homeowners screaming that they're forced from their homes with nowhere affordable to move to.... at least that's a possibility...

maybe, maybe not. I remember reading that there was a neighborhood org. in Delray working with DRIC to mediate concerns between residents and the state.

Here's the full EIS for the DRIC, if anyone wants to read it.
    http://www.partnershipborderstudy.com/reports_us.asp

*edit, to stay on topic.

I could see Maroun continuing restoring MCS as a secondary money-maker, should the DRIC get built. He would still have control over the rail tunnels under the river, and a restored train station. Couple that with Ray LaHood suggesting we link rail to Canada again , and it could get interesting.
    Last edited by j to the jeremy; June-07-11 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If the owner will not care for the property, its better off gone. Too many folks sneak into it causing issues for police. I would dread to see what would happen in case of a fire. I've been told that the place is mostly concrete, but it would be a real shame if any fireman lost his life because the owner won't secure and care for his property.
    This. My dad was a member of DFD for 34 years. He said the only two buildings that scared him were MCS as the Hudson's building before they tore it down. He basically called them deathtraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    I don't think so Gistok, a cleaned up historic architectural and cultural gem like MCS is leaps and bounds better than a trash-strewn vacant lot.
    Gsgeorge... reread my post... we're on the same side...

Matty doesn't own the rails or the tunnels ONLY the building, not the former shed area, the viaduct or the loading bays...

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    maybe, maybe not. I remember reading that there was a neighborhood org. in Delray working with DRIC to mediate concerns between residents and the state.

Here's the full EIS for the DRIC, if anyone wants to read it.
    http://www.partnershipborderstudy.com/reports_us.asp

*edit, to stay on topic.

I could see Maroun continuing restoring MCS as a secondary money-maker, should the DRIC get built. He would still have control over the rail tunnels under the river, and a restored train station. Couple that with Ray LaHood suggesting we link rail to Canada again , and it could get interesting.

Is that even legal?

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Wallside is on the job.
    LOL! I wonder if the salesman talked them into the Low-E glazing.

See the other thread, but you're right that guy had no idea...asbestos removal thru July 29th

Asbestos would have to be removed for demolition anyway....cost of the windows is minimal to Matty.

Maroun must want to build his bridge

Too bad Tiger Stadium wasn't fixed up like this...

Every time he tries to get his bridge built, he says he is going to do something with MCS then we get excited and nothing happens. Glad he is at least FINALLY doing something about the windows.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-Central-Depot

How's about that for a slice of fried gold?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast