Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cobo's Pizza Outlet-- pushed out?

...while surfing channels this morning, I caught part of the Mildred Gaddis show on WCHB .. she was interviewing a gentleman that was planning a protest/demonstration today, on behalf of the pizza take out place in Cobo Hall, Simon's Pizza/Pizza Queen. The guest claims that the owner is in a battle wtih the catering contractor [[?) enabled by the Cobo governing authority, and the proprietor claims that he is being slowly forced out of business there.. allegations include limiting the formats of pizza allowed to be served [[i.e., slices only, no whole pizzas) and the volume..

separately, I saw a newsbrief on Fox 2 today about the Cobo renovations announcement, they showed various designs on how the facility is supposed to look by the time of the 2014 auto show..

This is sad, they are nice people and the food is good.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110602-wpms

Well, look at what's happening/happened to Greektown. Not surprising at all.

What's most insulting is that some of these small business owners weathered the worst times in Detroit, when the national chains wouldn't give us a second look. It's really too bad.

Good point. Now they are getting kicked to curb for the cooky-cutter-francise joints!
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Well, look at what's happening/happened to Greektown. Not surprising at all.

What's most insulting is that some of these small business owners weathered the worst times in Detroit, when the national chains wouldn't give us a second look. It's really too bad.

http://www.centerplate.com/

... anybody familiar with this group, Centerplate Concessions/Catering? First time i've ever heard of them. Hopefully the public attention can help out the Simons..

...so how are these concessions contracts "supposed" to work? why would a long-standing vendor/tenant get a pink-slip?

They were told to get out by Tuesday.

"They told us that we don't look Italian. Why are we selling pizza when we're not Italian? And that's when they took everything off our menu," Sandy Simon said.

Des Hague, President and CEO of Centerplate doesn't look too Italian, either.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    They were told to get out by Tuesday.

"They told us that we don't look Italian. Why are we selling pizza when we're not Italian? And that's when they took everything off our menu," Sandy Simon said.

Des Hague, President and CEO of Centerplate doesn't look too Italian, either.
    LOL! Insufficient swarthiness.

Charlie LeDuff did a piece on them this weekend.

$9000 a month in rent?

did these folks have a contract? I think there is more story.

I feel sorry for the owners of Simons Pizza. They should had started looking for another location when they saw the handwriting on the wall a couple of years ago. I had heard on the radio that Cobo was charging them over $1000 a month. They should had been proactive instead of reactive and searched for a new location a year ago

Most authorities are shams and tend to turn out more corrupt than the government entities they replace.

That's so sad! F*cking corrupt bullsh*t. They could at least do it on a bid basis for food concessions, but probably it's a friend of a friend who's in politics that has something to do with the renovation who see $$$$$$$$. I've seen it before. If this company has no serious health complaints and are willing to work with the new authority there's no reason they should not be allowed to continue. It's all politics, it's all bull, it's all ugly. Mean People Suck!

DetroitPole Guest

Here is another problem:

One of the only things I find good about Detroit - as a resident - are the unique businesses who have survived all these years.
    Buddy's, Cadieux, Corktown bars, Baker's, Tap Room, and those are the normal ones - wait till you get to Steve's Place or Tom's Tavern.

Replace them with corporate bullshit and Detroit can fuck off. Might as well live off of Hall Road if Detroit is just aiming to be a hyper-ghetto version of it.

When the complaintants call in KK's former attorney Arnold Reed and Malik Shabazz and Horace Sheffield's United Action Network to represent them - you could maybe guess that all is not as they are telling the media.

The complainants didn't call in those folks. That was clarified on the radio yesterday. Some community leaders came out to support them on what was supposed to be their last day and those folks showed up as well. In any event, it appears they have been given a reprieve.

I'm not sure what anyone has against an attorney just because they represented Kwame Kilpatrick. Attorneys all over America represent all manner of low-lifes and most often it only enhances their career. Also not sure what the problem is with Malik Shabazz. Now Horace Sheffield is another matter, but that shouldn't be cause for casting aspersions on Simon's Pizza.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    The complainants didn't call in those folks. That was clarified on the radio yesterday. Some community leaders came out to support them on what was supposed to be their last day and those folks showed up as well. In any event, it appears they have been given a reprieve.

I'm not sure what anyone has against an attorney just because they represented Kwame Kilpatrick. Attorneys all over America represent all manner of low-lifes and most often it only enhances their career. Also not sure what the problem is with Malik Shabazz. Now Horace Sheffield is another matter, but that shouldn't be cause for casting aspersions on Simon's Pizza.
    Malik Shabazz wants a race war. That's kind of my first issue with him.

...and this stuff:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...B5qapcVUVqmh3Q

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Malik Shabazz wants a race war. That's kind of my first issue with him.

...and this stuff:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...B5qapcVUVqmh3Q
    I watched it. While I think he might be accused of being Anti-Semitic, I did not see a rabid hate-monger calling for a race war. I heard him call for black unity and self-help. I also heard him express concern about what he perceives [[right or wrong) as an increased hatred of blacks by groups like the Tea Party.

I heard him intimate that African-Americans should be prepared to defend themselves from any attacks that are a result of that hate. I think this is in line with what members of the NRA say about their right to bear arms, isn't it?

I did hear him talk about African-Americans having a nation of their own. Now I wish the interviewer had followed up and asked what he meant? If he's talking about snatching a portion of America to make that separate nation, then I have a big problem with him. Otherwise, he's just another person with his own opinions and views and if he uses his energy trying to defend people he feels are being oppressed that's his right, as long as he doesn't use or promote violence to do so.

The reality is that when people feel oppressed and disenfranchised, they are looking for someone to come along and offer them help, plead their cause, give them a means to make their plight known and find some remedy or relief. If no mainstream person helps them, then a non-mainstream entity will likely be more than happy to. The Cobo authority pretty much said, "We love Centerplate. They are the saviors of Cobo food concessions. Sorry, we can't help you." So, the Simons are right for allowing the community to see if their voices can make a difference. That's the American way after all.
    Last edited by Locke09; June-08-11 at 01:59 PM. Reason: misplaced word

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    I watched it. While I think he might be accused of being Anti-Semitic, I did not see a rabid hate-monger calling for a race war. I heard him call for black unity and self-help. I also heard him express concern about what he perceives [[right or wrong) as an increased hatred of blacks by groups like the Tea Party.

I heard him intimate that African-Americans should be prepared to defend themselves from any attacks that are a result of that hate. I think this is in line with what members of the NRA say about their right to bear arms, isn't it?

I did hear him talk about African-Americans having a nation of their own. Now I wish the interviewer had followed up and asked what he meant? If he's talking about snatching a portion of America to make that separate nation, then I have a big problem with him. Otherwise, he's just another person with his own opinions and views and if he uses his energy trying to defend people he feels are being oppressed that's his right, as long as he doesn't use or promote violence to do so.

The reality is that when people feel oppressed and disenfranchised, they are looking for someone to come along and offer them help, plead their cause, give them a means to make their plight known and find some remedy or relief. If no mainstream person helps them, then a non-mainstream entity will likely be more than happy to. The Cobo authority pretty much said, "We love Centerplate. They are the saviors of Cobo food concessions. Sorry, we can't help you." So, the Simons are right for allowing the community to see if their voices can make a difference. That's the American way after all.
    I don't have any problems with what you say, but I do think it is much different than the NRA with respect to their right to bear arms. It is being discussed in a racial context.

There is a lot about Malik Shabazz out there, and maybe his stance has mellowed somewhat over the last couple of years, though I'd question the motivation on that. I was too lazy to look for it, but an article in the Metro Times from a few years ago was a bit more "militant", but with the same sort of "qualification" about trying to protect African-Americans. It is very similar to the KKK and other hate groups when they try to justify their philosophy.

Also, his defense of Kwame was and is...well, sort of indefensible, in my opinion.

The YouTube guy above is not Detroit's Malik Shabazz. I think it is a useful name in many cities.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    The YouTube guy above is not Detroit's Malik Shabazz. I think it is a useful name in many cities.
    I like how you put that. My mistake, but in that case, Detroit's Malik Shabazz maybe hasn't mellowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    http://www.centerplate.com/

... anybody familiar with this group, Centerplate Concessions/Catering? First time i've ever heard of them. Hopefully the public attention can help out the Simons..

...so how are these concessions contracts "supposed" to work? why would a long-standing vendor/tenant get a pink-slip?
    It sounds like we've got the "pay to play" or "friends and family plan" kicking in at Cobo.
    Could it be? Corruption in the regional authority!!!! Wonder why the papers aren't following this story.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    It sounds like we've got the "pay to play" or "friends and family plan" kicking in at Cobo.
    Could it be? Corruption in the regional authority!!!! Wonder why the papers aren't following this story.

Are you kidding? The pay to play and friends and family plan was in place for years and years and years while this pizza place was there. Now, "one of the largest hospitality companies in North America" is coming in.

http://centerplate.com/newsroom/2010...vention-center

The story, predictably, has become a racial one. Yawn.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/06/...t-cobo-center/

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    The story, predictably, has become a racial one. Yawn.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/06/...t-cobo-center/
    It's kind of hard to turn it into a racial problem when the city that owns it is 85% black. More than likely the Simon's are on the wrong side of the new powers behind Cobo. Just because you may have benefited from the pay to play under Kwame's Rein doesn't mean your automatically in the game with new management.

Concession companies historically have been corrupt prone it is a heavy cash flow proposal and like lots of other businesses it pays to grease those palms who help to obtain the leases or contracts,am not saying this is the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    It's kind of hard to turn it into a racial problem when the city that owns it is 85% black. More than likely the Simon's are on the wrong side of the new powers behind Cobo. Just because you may have benefited from the pay to play under Kwame's Rein doesn't mean your automatically in the game with new management.
    The City of Detroit no longer runs Cobo and has no say in its management other than the one person we have on the new authority [[One out of four). For all intents and purposes Detroit has no real ownership rights. Also, this company has been there over 30 years so it is unfair to try to link them to Kwame.

Whatever the reasoning behind this, it is exactly what people were concerned about, that local businesses would have a smaller share of the revenue to be generated from Cobo.

The Pizza people had a 30-year sweetheart deal that they got from Coleman A. Young of well-below market monthly rent with never an increase ever. Those days got over because the Authority cannot afford to take a $20 million bath every year - as the City did - for operating Cobo. Cobo must very shortly operate from its own income without any sort of state subsidy. Changes have to be made to make sure Cobo can keep its doors open and grow.

The pizza operation also was unwilling to show their recipts, to account for their volume, etc. instead of cooperating, they ran to City Council and complained about being harrassed when they were in reality only being held to a real-life business model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast