Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Food vendors find Detroit restrictions unappetizing

By Nathan Skid

Detroit's current ordinances prohibit food trucks and stationary vendors from selling in both the central business district and the cultural center -- eliminating potential lunch hubs like Campus Martius, Midtown, the museum district and the stadiums.

Kristyn Koth, owner of Pink FlaminGo!, a fledgling food truck based out of Corktown, said she has had trouble obtaining a proper vending license in the city, so instead of collecting more violation tickets, she's transformed Pink FlaminGo! into a private catering company until the regulations are eased.

"All last year we were out on the streets, but we were given three warnings and a ticket," Koth said. "I never wanted to run illegally, and I didn't want to be a guerrilla-style restaurant."
    Koth says she has several friends running successful food trucks in New York who want to bring their operations to Detroit but are concerned about the lack of cooperation by the city government.

Stationary food vendors and mobile food carts are also typically restricted to selling a limited number of items, including hot dogs, ice cream, fresh fruit and nonalcoholic beverages like coffee and soda.

Vendors are not allowed to sell within 100 feet of a business that sells similar goods, nor can they sell their products between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m., cutting out potential sales from post-bar crowds.
    "Our established retail base is so fragile that it would hurt the restaurants that are already here," Gulock said. "The vending ordinances have been in place since the 1940s."
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-unappetizing#

[[To view the full Crain's article, Google the headline and click the first link)

It wants me to fricken login to read the article

"Our established retail base is so fragile that it would hurt the restaurants that are already here," Gulock said. "The vending ordinances have been in place since the 1940s."

Yea okay,in another city/state I have 4 food trucks out none of them compete with other restaurants ,paper work was simple I picked up a paperwork package outlining what was required built the trucks had them state inspected and was up and operating in under 90 days.

Thats like saying you cannot put a pizza parlor because there already is a pizza parlor in the city .The trucks generate income ,employ workers ,and pay taxes much like other small business in the 21st century.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

In fact, the opposite happens. Food carts bring more people out of their offices creating a more vibrant area. That creates a culture of going out to eat more often rather than staying cooped up with a sandwich from home, thus ultimately creating more business for the food carts and restaurants. If you don't think so, go to New York City.

DetroitPole Guest

Lack of cooperation? That is an understatement. Those people at CAY still collect their paychecks regardless of what happens. The easing of the restrictions or streamlining of process would make a lot of peoples' make-work jobs redundant. There is no incentive for city government to work for you. It's a jobs mill...for now.

can city council affect this with a new ordinance? can someone bring this up to the mayor's office? there should be lots of food trucks in the city, like los angeles or new york..
    Last edited by Hypestyles; June-06-11 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    can city council affect this with a new ordinance? can someone bring this up to the mayor's office? there should be lots of food trucks in the city, like los angeles or new york..
    There was a discussion during the city charter talks where this issue was brought up by a CC member as an example of how difficult it is doing business with the city.

The CC council is a powerful tool for the citizen and they do have the power for change more so then the mayor who gets the last word but usually by the time it gets to him or her it has already gone through the CC which has listened to the majorities requests and decided that it is in the best interests.

The thing to do is get a group of like minded and go before the CC and present the merits of what on is trying to do,power in numbers kinda thing,if citizens do not present to the CC they have a tendency to move forward on personal whims verses public representations.There is another way of putting it but I am trying to stay civil : )

The sad part is, there is an upcoming hearing on the issue but it does not address vending in the Central Business District or MIdtown or around the stadiums. Its only to discuss vending on private property outside of those areas. Plus, and this is my favorite part, you can only sell hotdogs, ice cream, pop, fruit, soda and coffee. I wish I were kidding. You can look the ordinance up for yourself.

A successful restaurateur once asked me a rhetorical question; 'Where is the best place to build a hamburger stand?' 'Right next to a hamburger stand.' I can not understand how anyone can say protecting established restaurants by nixing new ones coming in is a good thing.

One would think Detroit would be hungry for new business. Guess the city would rather starve itself to death than open up to competition.

I wondered why SW Detroit's fun taco trucks with fresh, fresh food weren't around in downtown.

3rd Street has a taco truck... wonder if they're just flying under the radar?

Detroit's current ordinances prohibit food trucks and stationary vendors from selling in both the central business district and the cultural center -- eliminating potential lunch hubs like Campus Martius, Midtown, the museum district and the stadiums.
    That's pretty mind-boggling. It costs like $0 for the city to fix this... And it is something that puts the city at a distinct competitive disadvantage.

ihearthed, nice name by the way, I totally agree.

One of my favorite things to do in a new city is hit the streets and eat. I was pretty amazed to learn that the city has not even considered allowing food trucks or vendors to sell near the stadiums and in Midtown. This is a zero dollar fix for the city and could stimulate some really neat eateries. I mean, think about there was a "food cart" zone or something to get a high concentration of them like Mark's Carts in Ann Arbor. There is so much potential here and it is more than a little disheartening to learn the stories of would-be supporters of the city.

"Fragile retail presence." It will only become more so if you don't allow new businesses to come in.

Why is Detroit so afraid of change? Change is good when the status-quo is failure.

3rd Street Taco truck - where on third?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    That's pretty mind-boggling. It costs like $0 for the city to fix this... And it is something that puts the city at a distinct competitive disadvantage.
    They lose out in fees also the truck I posted pic of for instance.

$300 To the state
    $300 to the city
    $160 per year occupational license
    Grease collection is reused or recycled and picked up by a collection company.

That truck is static.
    $300 per month shared lot with a car wash and detail shop so two business double revenue draw for the city.
    Fresh vegetables purchased daily from local suppliers.
    Food stock purchased from local establishments.
    $90 per week in propane.
    $85 per month in electricity
    $16,000 in purchased materials including the truck which was school surplus auction which all went into the local ecomeny and businesses.

A lot of cities do frown on being directly in the CBD and when they do allow it they do become very valuable locations.
    Locations in Manhattan can bring up to $2000000 just for the location,no property.

In Orlando FL downtown for instance while you cannot have a vendor out during the day they are allowed out after hours for the club crowd as there are no restaurants open after 12 pm same with many other cities.

Outside of stadiums were protected,but when they started charging $6 for a hot-dog the carts began to be allowed a good game can bring $1000 to $2000 in hot dogs and hamburgers and a short time span. That money is spent in the community directly.

The one that gets me the most is the ice cream one, what child does not have a memory of that ice cream truck coming through the neighborhood.

You would think that it is a no brainer but somebody had to be paying some big bucks to make it stay that way.

Where I am at you must have a "host" restaurant [[commissary) vouch for you in order to be licensed to ensure proper disposal of waste water and proper sanitary food prep facilities so if the restaurants thought that it was competition then there would be no trucks.
    Last edited by Richard; June-06-11 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by Beatsworking View Post
    3rd Street has a taco truck... wonder if they're just flying under the radar?
    Actually they were recently shut down. Now I know why. That food was SO good too! The only mexican food in Midtown.

These restrictions are so very annoying. As long as the carts are up to code and dispose of waste efficiently, it's a win-win! The increased foot traffic will bring more people downtown and once you have the critical mass, there will inevitably be people who can afford to do Hard Rock or Fishbone's or even Five Guys and Biggby. What are people so afraid of here?

Here's what I posted on my FB page:

the argument that street vendors will take away from existing restaurants has been disproven by those studying how postmodern cities function-- no, the more foot traffic that is drawn to an area, the better it is for *all* the businesses in question. This is why the only area of the CBD that feels like you're in a major city 24-7-365 is Greektown. Having 12-15 restaurants within 2 blocks isn't hurting business for anyone; that's because you know that if you go down there, you'll be able to wander around and decide where to eat. Ice cream sales at Astoria haven't fallen off because of Coldstone's opening -- have you tried to get a table at Astoria lately?

If Whole Foods opens, we locals will all still crowd into Avalon, Kim's, and Goodwell's, but there will be more potential customers and tourists drawn into the area. We now have two Starbucks in the Midtown area as well as a Biggby, which has just happened over the past 5 years. 8-10 years ago when I was teaching @ Cass, I could breeze right through Avalon every morning for a latte before work. I could always get a table. There were always plenty of parking spaces, too. Today, I *always* stand in line simply because there are more people drawn to Cass and Willis. Parking is now a pain, and you Can't. Get. A. Table.

Imagine if we let small vendors with proper licensing and permits operate in Grand Circus Park, Campus Martius, and the Riverwalk on weekdays. Imagine the opportunities, the revenue for the city, and the foot traffic that will be drawn in!

But no, we *can't* imagine it. Sigh... as we continue to drag the D, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century...
    It's too bad that we're not interested in becoming a vibrant city. I'm not even sure that the current powers that be would even know where to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitkid View Post
    One would think Detroit would be hungry for new business. Guess the city would rather starve itself to death than open up to competition.
    I can never keep them straight, but are those metaphors, similies, or figures of speech? Whatever, I think you're over the limit...

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    It's too bad that we're not interested in becoming a vibrant city. I'm not even sure that the current powers that be would even know where to begin.

Even in vibrant cities this can a contentious issues

While it is true that Chicago, host of the annual restaurant show, continues to
    grapple with mobile foods legislation [[cooking in a truck in Chicago is prohibited; serving prepared food isn't), food trucks mania remained a hot topic at McCormick Place, where the
    show has been taking place since Saturday.
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...s-phillip-foss

The article said that there is Planning Comm hearing on the June 16th so there is chance let them know this something we want in city. I'd also write Saunteel Jenkins since she heads the council planning economic development committee

cc-cpc@ci.detroit.mi.us

councilmemberjenkins@detroitmi.gov
    Last edited by MSUguy; June-08-11 at 02:54 PM.

downtownguy, metpahors....

Here is a follow up on the story that ran Monday. Just heard that City Council is planning a meeting to change the laws. http://bit.ly/knz45D