Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dose anyone know anything about southwest detroit hospital?

I know it was southwest hospital up till the 90s
    But thats all I know Any history About southwest would be great!!

Detroiturbex.com has a great feature on it...current plans are to turn it into a senior housing, though progress is slow.

I have seen that and i have been in it, its just A lot of the records are from the 90s witch is time southwest closed, but the building closed in 2007, I just want to know is If they closed most of it in the 90s.

Most of the Southwest Detroit Hospital was closed up by the turn of the millenium century, I remember the building being closed up before 2007, but anyway I know that it closed becuase of many malpractice lawsuits....I got some pics and a story of a haunting experience I had there....here ya go
    http://detroitbob66.tumblr.com/page/3

It was formerly Delray General Hospital located on West Jefferson Avenue near Green Street where a large, empty trucking terminal now sits in the shadow of the Zug. It had been an old farm house that was enlarged and became a local, family type hospital. It sat next to the Semet Solvay Corporation north of Zug Island Road. Delray General was torn down about the early to mid 70's to make way for the trucking terminal previously mentioned. It may have been an incorporation of another hospital with DG at that location. MikeG and MikeM are the go to guys for history of the area. Their research is second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    It was formerly Delray General Hospital located on West Jefferson Avenue near Green Street
    I think they're talking about the silver space ship-like building on Michigan @ 20th.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    I think they're talking about the silver space ship-like building on Michigan @ 20th.
    Correct. I believe they are. But it's predecessor was as described in my post. It was my family hospital until it was moved to and/or consolidated at the new location on Michigan at I-75/I-96. Just a bit of background to help any additional research they might like to do. The real historians will pick up from here and assist MtK.

1KielsonDrive i also think that Delray merged with Zielgler Hospital at Michigan and Livernois to become Delray General Hospital. I was in the old Delray General many times as part of my job working at Fort and Green. It was quite and interesting hospital.

I've noticed that the building has been infiltrated in the last few weeks and now has many broken windows that were not there during the winter. If they are planning to rehab this as senior housing, why is the building not even secured?

Quote Originally Posted by hhockey View Post
    1KielsonDrive i also think that Delray merged with Zielgler Hospital at Michigan and Livernois to become Delray General Hospital. I was in the old Delray General many times as part of my job working at Fort and Green. It was quite and interesting hospital.
    A fourth precinct guy? Or another business nearby? Did you live in the neighborhood? I'm glad you mentioned Ziegler. That was a long lost memory. Now I'd like to repeat the question of this link to include Ziegler Hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I've noticed that the building has been infiltrated in the last few weeks and now has many broken windows that were not there during the winter. If they are planning to rehab this as senior housing, why is the building not even secured?
    Secure a building in Detroit? What are you, nuts? [[That's a joke).

I was in there not to long ago and in the x-ray/Operating Room side of the hospital, all the papers in there were from the 80s and the 90s, there was a bulletin board an the hallway of that part and all the stuff on it was from the 90s. so bob your saying thay might of closed this part of the hospital in the 90s??

1KielsonDrive, i am an old fourth precinct guy. Spent 26 years their.

...what about this outdated building just being demolished for some forest land, public-park greenspace?

Quote Originally Posted by hhockey View Post
    1KielsonDrive, i am an old fourth precinct guy. Spent 26 years their.
    I'm an old Joey's Stables guy. We probably crossed paths at one time or another.

Very good possiblity, as i went in their quite frequently for lunch and not to few libations after work.

Joey's was a great place to eat and have a few. I was sad to see it close.

There is some information on this webpage about Southwest Detroit Hospital
    http://www.detroit1701.org/Southwest...0Hospital.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mark The kid View Post
    I was in there not to long ago and in the x-ray/Operating Room side of the hospital, all the papers in there were from the 80s and the 90s, there was a bulletin board an the hallway of that part and all the stuff on it was from the 90s. so bob your saying thay might of closed this part of the hospital in the 90s??
    Yes, 1991 to be exact Mark. The other part of the hospital operated as Community Health Care. I think the entire building has been completely abandoned for about ten years. It closed due to lawsuits and also the head of the hospital, Harvey Brown, owed the city a bunch of money and he was also a dear good friend of the gangster mayor, Mr Kilpatrick himself. Check this link and do you explore often? Check your private messages
    http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/...95/1131/47018/

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    Yes, 1991 to be exact Mark. The other part of the hospital operated as Community Health Care. I think the entire building has been completely abandoned for about ten years. It closed due to lawsuits and also the head of the hospital, Harvey Brown, owed the city a bunch of money and he was also a dear good friend of the gangster mayor, Mr Kilpatrick himself. Check this link and do you explore often? Check your private messages
    http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/...95/1131/47018/
    Bob did you get my message? and thanks!
    And today i was buy There were 3 pickup trucks in front just plain ones and there front doors were open with people going in and out of the building

Quote Originally Posted by Mark The kid View Post
    Bob did you get my message? and thanks!
    And today i was buy There were 3 pickup trucks in front just plain ones and there front doors were open with people going in and out of the building
    I saw that too! Crazy...check your messages again and hit me up for Sunday

I would never dose anyone without their consent.

I checked out your link Detroitbob and while you may have had a haunting experience in the hospital, your picture shows a lot of dust particles in the air, not spirit orbs. A place like that is going to be full of dust and particulate matter in the air, and when you shoot a photo with a flash it reflects back from the dust making them appear like orbs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitmi97/5858749446/ You must look at this picture becase I dont know how I can post pictures on here. But It shows There were 3 cars there, one was on the street with a person waching, a car inside yes INSIDE the building witch Was behind the bars, and just one in front!!
    And this was today

Hey Mark...I talked to that guy the other day and they are pumping all of the water from the loading dock and really going to turn this buidling into a senior citizens complex?!?!?! He was packing heat too...thought that was a little much, but what the hell? It is Detroit after all!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast