Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

View Poll Results: Are You a Member of The Sandwich Generation?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 71.43%
  • No

2 28.57%
  • I don't Know.

0 0%

Default The Sandwich Generation

The Sandwich Generation is a generation of people who care for their aging parents while supporting their own children. The are the one who pay for the expense of children going to college and for the care of their parents. Presently, there are 20 million Americans that fit the description of being in the Sandwich Generation.
    http://youtu.be/YhXrHD7qWDk
    With the economy as it is, many have to care for parents at home while taking care of their own children.

The more baby-boomers reaching retirement age the situation only accelerates.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011060...eeling-squeeze

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1600179.shtml

Some of us will continue into the elder age still caring for aging parents, so the upper age limit for the sandwich people is really higher than 65. I also think many if not most people are pretty independent of their children well into their 70s, while the younger generation still remains dependent due to the economic situation. God willing, I will be able to help care for my Dad and Mother-in-law as they top100 even though by then I will be nigh 80. If not, the younger generation will be sandwiched by their kids, grandkids, parents and grandparents. Something to think about.

My parents and in-laws are long gone, and my kids are independent. I guess I'd have to say I have the best of it just right now. But family is family, and should things be different, helping family members would always be my #1 priority, even if it means sacrifice for my creature comforts.

Family isn't everything, but it is the most important thing.

In Communist China, The grow up son and daughter have to take care of their aging parents for it's tradition and also their parents took care of them. In the U.S. mostly we put out aging parents into convalescent homes and forget them ever existed! Now that's pitiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    In Communist China, The grow up son and daughter have to take care of their aging parents for it's tradition and also their parents took care of them. In the U.S. mostly we put out aging parents into convalescent homes and forget them ever existed! Now that's pitiful!
    You got that right. My wife works in a nursing home, Danny. Its very depressing finding out just how little the vast majority of families ignore these folks once they're in there. They die, and noone even comes to pick up they're stuff sometimes. My wife, is impacted by these people passing away FAR more than most of the families.
    Her father on the other hand, when designing his home added an extra living space for his mother and father in law. They [[well, the father in law has since passed) have their own little apartment inside of his house. Should fortune shine upon us someday, where we can afford to do such a thing, the same will be added to our home for our parents when they need us most.