Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default WTF? Painting on the walls @ The Schwankovsky

Please tell me this isn't what it looks like! It seem that there is a "Pop up" performance space called "vitaminwater uncapped LIVE: Detroit" inside of The Schwankovsky Temple of Music. They are converting the space into "convert the space into a custom and contemporary gathering space to showcase music, art, fashion, action sports and street culture."

In some of the photos posted on Detroit Moxie It looks like they are spraying all sorts of shitty graffiti on the interior of the building! Wtf? How is this acceptable?
    Last edited by leland_palmer; June-05-11 at 09:26 AM.

It's acceptable if and because they've been given permission. Pure and simple. We may not like it, but as long as they are not damaging any of the building infrastructure, paint can be painted over, so that whenever there is another more permanent adaptive reuse of the site, that owner can repaint as they please.

Well, in this case, if the building is being used as a gallery/commercial space and the wall can be rehabbed, it is no big deal. There is a difference to coming in on a private property, abandoned or not; and spray painting, texturing the walls without permission. I think this space focusses on finding an outlet for good artists in graffitti to show their stuff in a beautiful space. Sanding and priming with aluminum paint on graffitti will erase what is there if it is to be temporary, so I think that is OK. I do it all the time on film sets.

Do you really think they will take the time and money to remove it once they close?

When did VAIN nightclub close and this place open up?

Wow, in the third picture, I see natural oak panelling with the wood grain covered in graffitti. In the website comments section, it says the interior woodwork was painted over. Not from what I see in the third picture. Now it looks like all the other abandoned crap in this city. And who's gonna go there and keep this now dumpy looking place in business. I've never seen a bigger bunch of d-bags.

Anything that is used legally in Detroit is a good thing, 99% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Wow, in the third picture, I see natural oak panelling with the wood grain covered in graffitti. In the website comments section, it says the interior woodwork was painted over. Not from what I see in the third picture. Now it looks like all the other abandoned crap in this city. And who's gonna go there and keep this now dumpy looking place in business. I've never seen a bigger bunch of d-bags.
    Agreed.... apparently "vitaminwater" is the sponsor, and they've had these events in other locations. Agreed... not a good idea to paint over old panelling. I do think that if they had put up a "tromphe O'eoil"l Tuscan scene or something of that ilk, it wouldn't seem so [[for lack of a better word) "vandalized" looking. I do have to agree with Leland Palmer... are they planing on "undoing" this when they're done? If not any future attempts to get tenants and/or sell the building for a more permanent purpose... would be handicapped by this resemblence to grafitti vandalism.

Perhaps "vitaminwater" will undo the work, once the show is over... otherwise perhaps a wakeup call from The National Trust would be in order to change their ways... by chosing to add their artwork to less historic properties...

Then again perhaps we are being overly critical... will have to wait and see the result of this...

But I don't care for it when "cutting edge" and "historic preservation"... clash!

Don't worry about it.
    Everything in the picture is an improvement.

The painters will totally clean up the space before they leave.
    The pristine space they leave behind will lead to more investment.

Here Here, Leland Palmer and Gistok.

I get pissed up off when people paint over wood molding or trim in houses, so I'm a little sensitive. Lol! I spent hours upon hour stripping it off of my 1923 bungalow when I bought it.

@ leland palmer: I understand your sensitivity to painting over wooden details inside the Temple of Music. However, your bitching should have begun years ago when under one of the club incarnations the whole damn place, including the woodwork, was painted white with black trim accents and mirror sections inset beneath the curved archway moldings. It was uglier than most of the sniny-shirted guidos who frequented the place. The earth-toned paint rehab was an improvement. And, as far as the paintwork by local artists/graff crews -- bought-and-paid-for authorization approved by the building owner. So given the shiz storm about unauthorized "decoration" of buildings in other threads on this site, someone might say STFU.

pics or it didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by Autoracks View Post
    pics or it didn't happen

Follow this link to more at Shades website under the pics que.
    http://www.shadesdet.com/#c6d/flick

If you don't know, now you know . . .
    Last edited by Lt. Dan Bassett; June-05-11 at 06:24 PM.

Paint over paint is just paint. I guess the damage was done long ago. I actually find the graffiti on top of the ornate paneling quite striking and beautiful in a certain way.

But being a preservationist myself, I hope that eventually the paneling is restored to its original condition and the building sees a fitting tenant that captures a much broader demographic....as in...not a night club or specialized art gallery.

It seems like peoples more garish impulses is not restricted to modern times...

Back in the mid 20th Century the former Michigan Theatre got a repainting to tone down the gilt, marble and more opulent finishes.... to what I would call "creamsicle orange"... check out the Mezzanine Rotunda lobby space [[in a closed off part of the former theatre).....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I might be going out on a limb by asking this. . .
    But I wonder if the building owner really understood what would be done to the space.

For instance, I rented my apartment and my landlord might expect normal wear and tear. But that wear and tear does not include noticeable permanent damage. Also any walls that I paint have to be repainted white when I leave. It was assumed by my landlord that if I choose to paint, I would not paint the exposed wood trim.

I would like to see a cool art space remain open for the creative people in our town and those who admire their work.
    I hope this is is one of those places. How long wil the space [[not the event) be open?

yea this is pretty lame

Quote Originally Posted by Autoracks View Post
    yea this is pretty lame
    Why is it lame?