Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pride was awesome!

Hart Plaza was packed. Beautiful Day. Motor City Pride was awesome downtown!

Downtown Ferndale was quite rainbowed out Friday.

It was awesome! Great turnout, no incidents [[that I know of). Police had an easy job with this one. Shame on the freep for [[basically) not covering this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post
    It was awesome! Great turnout, no incidents [[that I know of). Police had an easy job with this one. Shame on the freep for [[basically) not covering this at all.
    Before you go lambasting the Freep for supposedly not covering this event, they already did earlier this week:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2011106030320

Now if what you want is a wrap-up of the event, the very least you could do is wait until the end of the event or the day. And isn't it ultimately what you want is some publicity prior to the event to draw attention to this as opposed to afterwards??

I feel it is quite legitimate to expect ongoing coverage.

Not only was the event attended by a large number of people but with the special rights given to journalist and their publications comes the social duty to distribute certain types of information.

The proper treatment of the LGBT community is one of those topics which envokes those duties.

Sports coverage took up a large portion of newspace on the Freep and DetNews websites. Ignoring that both organizations have been more interested in covering sports and any misstep by Detroit . . . I would expect their duty to be more fulfilled by covering socially important topics, like Pride.

That's why I said [[basically). Hoedown, Riverdays, Jazz and Technofest all have ongoing coverage, and in this case is more necessary to ensure an even bigger turn out next year.

Hoedown, Riverdays, Jazz and Technofest all have ongoing coverage, and in this case is more necessary to ensure an even bigger turn out next year.
    Why is this more important than any other festival?

here's the "wrap up"... http://www.freep.com/article/2011060...5016/1001/news

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Why is this more important than any other festival?
    ...because it's the first year down there and the ongoing press "to ensure a bigger turn out" would be necessary. stop trolling social agenda crap.

hah. clearly the freep's comment moderator took the morning off.
    Last edited by bailey; June-06-11 at 07:22 AM.

was the festival controversy free? no protests?

While I support equal rights for all people [[including people who are homosexual) I don't appreciate all the PRIDE stickers that folks stuck onto public and private property that don't belong to them. I went for a walk with my daughter downtown today and I couldn't go 20 feet without seeing these stickers stuck to buildings, trash cans, the ground, etc...

No protesters I saw. I didn't even hear anyone yell any derogatory remarks out of their cars. Frankly, that was surprising.

^^^^Wonderful to hear this!!Something the city should be proud of![[IMO)

Glad it was a success. I hope it stays downtown and that I can attend it next year.

I'm planning on being is SF's mega parade this year, as a part of my Unitarian Universalist church contingent.

I didn't go, Period!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I didn't go, Period!
    Bet you wanted to, though.

I hope they had a workshop on AIDS. Gay men are still at the greatest risk for it, and a lot of people are not getting adequate treatment. There is no cure.

I didn't go either. I'm completely comfortable with my own personal pride. I don't feel the need to demonstrate my choice or look at those that do.
    Last edited by coracle; June-06-11 at 06:05 PM.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    I hope they had a workshop on AIDS. Gay men are still at the greatest risk for it, and a lot of people are not getting adequate treatment. There is no cure.

Just as I would hope that they would do an AIDS workshop at every African-American event, considering the infection rate among African-Americans. You may find this hard to believe, but even people who are not Gay get infected - shocking huh?

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I didn't go either. I'm completely comfortable with my own personal pride. I don't feel the need to demonstrate my choice or look at those that do.
    Yeah, I'm sure they missed you and your "personal pride"...

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Just as I would hope that they would do an AIDS workshop at every African-American event, considering the infection rate among African-Americans. You may find this hard to believe, but even people who are not Gay get infected - shocking huh?
    No, very true.

But some groupings have much higher or lower rates than average.

Early on, and still to a degree, there was a concerted effort to shape the perception that HIV was like the common cold, everyone roughly had the same risk, in an attempt to gain mainstream support for funding research and treatment of the disease. What's the risk for married, hetero, non-druggies in a monogamous relationship? What its always been [[since blood donation/transfusion screening), roughly zero. What's the risk for IV-drug using, multiple-multiple anal partners? Just a wee bit higher. Reality does not equal discrimination. Ignore reality and squander scarce resources.

Some of the attitudes in this forum are reflective of Detroit's sad distress. While other cities not only embrace but encourage the gay community to be actively involved in their evolutions, many Detroiters still point fingers at "that" or "them" or the "others".

It is encouraging that the pride celebration has finally been part of the city as it should be.

I don't feel the need to demonstrate my choice...
    Which choice was that and how long did it take you to make it?

I hear that... your choice speaks to the fact that everyone within the gay community doesn't think alike or require the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    What a waste of time, to take pride in perversion, to glory in it, to think of it as natural, and for some churches to support it, shows how worthless these churches are.
    I assume you are talking about fundamentalist churches and their followers, so I totally agree.