Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hundreds rally in Detroit for jobs, end to decay

BY MATT HELMS

DETROIT FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Jobs for unemployed workers and an end to wealthy property owners leaving homes and buildings to rot in Detroit were the rallying cries of hundreds of people who gathered around noontime today on the city’s southwest side.

The rally, organized by community organizations and local church and labor groups, focused on help for a city ravaged by unemployment, blight and abandoned and foreclosed homes and businesses.

Speakers targeted Manuel [[Matty) Moroun, the billionaire waging a fierce battle against a second bridge over the Detroit River that would be jointly owned by the Michigan and Canadian governments and operate in competition with his Ambassador Bridge.

The rally was at a park near the Michigan Central Station, the Moroun-owned eyesore that’s become an international symbol of Detroit’s decline. The Moroun organization has pledged millions to rehabilitate the old train station, but organizers noted that Moroun is one of the city’s largest private landowners, controlling hundreds of abandoned homes and other buildings.

The group put together www.mattymoroun.com, a Web site they described as a virtual tour of the "slumlord billionaire's" blighted Detroit properties.

Moroun representatives couldn’t immediately be reached for comment this afternoon. They oppose a publicly owned bridge and instead want to build a second Ambassador crossing, saying declining commercial traffic doesn’t justify a public bridge.

Continued at: http://www.freep.com/article/2011060...3052/1001/news

I find it interesting that when trying to bring something to Detroit that would have provided jobs the people that are hated the most were the ones that provided the most help in weeding through the bull crap verses the ones that seem to be revered the most.

There are instances all over the city where people and organizations are doing their part over and above to make their little spot in this world a better place to live where is their recognition,where are these groups volunteering to join in and lift a hand and help those who seek no recognition ?

So put Matty in Jail for destruction of property because he has been running all over Detroit burning,stripping,spraying graffiti over what seems half the buildings,it may be just me but I think given the cities history for demolishing historic structures without a thought MCS would have been gone long ago.

The way this was handled it screams funded new bridge agenda [[dirty politics) and rich folk need to stay away from Detroit because it is all their fault that the city is the way it is. bridge jobs? Take a drive around the country and see how many major projects are using local labor.Canada is putting up the front money and their citizens do not get at least 50% of the jobs? or they could say hey its our money our jobs nobody knows hugh.

Where were these rallies when the city was being raped and pillaged bringing it to its knees? Why is only one large property owner singled out? The paper published more then one.Lord knows there are people all over this country suffering from lack of work and struggling to get by who do you direct the anger at the players or the system?

So I guess it is time for me to go to the town square and stand up at the stake.

I think the best way for Detroiters to get jobs and attention higher up on issues like transit, education, and the overall plight of its citizens is to be more demanding. Rallies like this need to get bigger and attract all sorts of folks from the different orgs and unions to make an impact. Anything but the status quo.