Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Kid Rock: Detroit Promoter

“Trust me, I love that. It would be very easy to play DTE, be right in my backyard … and make more money. But it’s not really about that. It’s about coming back to Detroit and trying to create something.

“I look at the concert as an excuse … as the background for the event and trying to create something in the city where people can come down for an afternoon and evening, and even if they don’t go to the concert they come down and … enjoy the city.”
    One thing that won’t happen, however, will be the Comedy Central roast that was tentatively scheduled for Aug. 14 at the Fox Theatre. Rock said the cable network wanted to switch the location, and he remains adamant that it be held in Detroit.

“I’m not going to go to L.A. or Las Vegas to get teased,” he explained. “If they come to Detroit and create some commerce here … and bring their big production, and they’re putting people to work, bring it on. If they come to Detroit, the roast will be on. If they don’t, no deal.”
    http://www.dailytribune.com/articles...mode=fullstory

He's a genuinely good person.

I'm glad he's sticking to his guns about the CC roast having to be in Detroit for him to appear. Say what you will about his music, he certainly is a big Detroit booster.

I'd admire him more if he moved his Made in Detroit brand back into the city. Come on, Made in Detr... er, Clarkston?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I'd admire him more if he moved his Made in Detroit brand back into the city. Come on, Made in Detr... er, Clarkston?
    Actually, his company would be a great one for Dan Gilbert to reach out to as a tenant in the Madison Theatre Building.

Not a fan of his music but his beer is decent and I have some t-shirts from his company. He really does do well for Detroit though. Nice move with that roast too.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Actually, his company would be a great one for Dan Gilbert to reach out to as a tenant in the Madison Theatre Building.
    Couldn't agree more!

Not a fan of his music, but I do admire the Kid for promoting the hell out of the D!!!

DetroitPole Guest

While I've made it clear that I have no love loss for Kid Rock, he is doing something substantial here. He will bring a ton of people and money into the city for his concert. We all know how much downtown bars and restaurants depend on entertainment traffic. Downtown comes alive with these events and becomes a really cool place, too.
    Really, the city has no use for Detroit "boosters" anymore. It needs Detroit "doers" like good residents, but also businesspeople like Gilbert and apparently Kid Rock who are going to bring some $$$ into the city. Those people make the difference, instead of just the folks who rave about how much they love Detroit when they live, work, play, and invest elsewhere, aside from a couple times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    It needs Detroit "doers" like good residents, but also businesspeople like Gilbert and apparently Kid Rock who are going to bring some $$$ into the city.

Kid Rock is more than a booster...he is doing something to help the city!

Kid Rock Donates $50,000 To 5 Detroit-Area Nonprofits
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_862709.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Kid Rock is more than a booster...he is doing something to help the city!

Kid Rock Donates $50,000 To 5 Detroit-Area Nonprofits
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_862709.html
    Kid looks like Gannon in that pic.

^^^
    Damn, Pam, he sure does. LOL

Stromberg2