Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit featured on CBS Criminal Minds finale 5-20-09

Last night on the season finale of Criminal Minds the team got sent to Detroit because a serial killer was abducting ppl from the Cass Corridor.

We had great lines like: Wow, I hear Detroit is beautiful in the Spring; and No amount of bailout money is going to fix all of this.

The Cass Corridor was made to look as if tons of multicultural homeless ppl lived down there in tent like cities. The drug dealing and prostitution was all done right out in the open. The DPD was really made to look bad because they had no idea all these ppl were being abducted on a daily basis. Oh, and they also ignored a victems family when they called to report that they were missing.
    Last edited by Casual; May-21-09 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual View Post
    The Cass Corridor was made to look as if tons of multicultural homeless ppl lived down there in tent like cities. The drug dealing and prostitution was all done right out in the open. The DPD was really made to look bad because they had no idea all these ppl were being abducted on a daily basis. Oh, and they also ignored a victems family when they called to report that they were missing.
    I would say this is a pretty good description of the part of the Corridor south of MLK, east of the Lodge, west of Woodward, and north of I-75.

i don't usually watch this show, but it caught my eye when flipping through and i heard them mentioning the cass corridor and looking at a map that had MLK, 3rd street and Warren visible. the title of the episode was "to hell...and back." not sure if every episode is as gruesome as this one was, but DAMN was it bad. the "bad guys" [[who were actually from Sarnia, Ontario, not Detroit) were a quadriplegic man who used his developmentally disabled brother to abduct, torture, and eventually murder their victims. apparently they were doing experiments on the bodies to harvest body parts for the quadriplegic brother. then they chopped the bodies up and fed them to the pigs, all of which they depicted quite graphically. blech.
    Last edited by ruxy17; May-21-09 at 10:19 AM.

Yes, this show is always that graphic. It's one of my favorite shows of all time. But then I love the CSI's, the Law and Orders and most true crime stuff. Comes from dad being on DPD when I was growing up, I guess.

My former roommate's aunt was abducted as a child from the CC. They found her in another apartment close by. A man had cut her up in pieces and was storing her in canning jars and plastic bags in the freezer. Circa 1960s.

I missed the show the other night, but got to see it on a Canadian channel tonight. I too love all the CSI, Law and Order, etc. This episode was way more graphic than any I remember in the recent past. I won't be going to bed anytime soon!

It was on reruns and I watched it for the inconsistencies, and a little far fetched as far as plot. Where would you hear a train in the Cass Corridor?
    And a guy driving from a pig farm in Port Huron to abduct people, ok?

There was quite the homeless population back in the 90's around Willis, and Brush park complete with the burning barrel to keep warm, a Burger King even tried to establish itself in the area but was quickly closed, some of the population could have also been locals from the war Veterans bar The Old Miami wasn't it?
    Last edited by tallboy66; February-10-10 at 12:27 AM.

can't say for certain but that looks nothing like detroit or cass

I didn't see the show, but it sounds like the bunk. I'm thinking someone at the network did a little google research on bad Detroit neighborhoods, and the name "Cass Corridor" struck him. He probably yanked the rest of the plot of his butt. "Cass Corridor" does evoke a certain ominous image, which is why people are trying so hard to rename it "Midtown." "Cass Corridor" just doesn't sound like a nice place.

However, there were people being abducted in the Corridor back around 1975 or so. A serial killer police dubbed "Bigfoot" because he was a huge man with abnormally large feet and hands, went around raping and killing prostitutes. I think Bigfoot had 9-10 victims. He never was caught.
    Last edited by dookie joe; February-10-10 at 11:53 AM.