Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A true American hero.

Ahead of his time. Some day, society will catch up.

I saw him years ago at the Belle Tire on Orchard Lake and Maple getting a new tire for his VW bus.

Did he have any "help"?

Say what you will about the man, I never met anyone who didn't have an opinion about him.

Kevorkian was a monster. A study of 69 of his victims found that 75% were NOT terminally ill and 5 were found to have not illness whatsoever. Kevorkian primarily preyed on single and divorced women suffering from depression. He killed over 100 people. A hero? He was a mass murderer.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=94765&page=1

lol... gee I think maybe there is evidence on both sides that could possibly dispute your opinion... the best response would be I'm not going to judge Jack because I don't have ALL the facts, more personal opinon.

Kevorkian’s attorney, Mayer Morganroth, dismissed the study.

“All they’re doing is repeating allegations made by the pro-life people,” he told Reuters. “They’re not really of any real substance, and they’re not really accurate or true.”

Kevorkian Attorney Dismissed Study

He also attacked the authors, pointing out that Roscoe and another person involved were not medical doctors, and that a third person involved, Oakland County medical examiner L.J. Dragovic, had testified numerous times against Kevorkian and the two men were “bitter enemies.”
    “Anything [Dragovic] says has to be discounted,” Morganroth said.
    Morganroth questioned how the team was able to study 69 deaths when few of the people Kevorkian has helped have been identified.
    “I don’t know how they got 69 [people] because it just so happens they don’t know who most of them are,” he said. “That already destroys their credibility because I don’t think anybody has the names of more than 15.”
    The study’s findings seemed to suggest divorcees or people who had never married were more likely to turn to doctor-assisted suicide in the absence of safeguards.
    Roscoe and her colleagues said “persons who were divorced or had never married were overrepresented among those who died with Kevorkian’s help, suggesting the need for a better understanding of the familial and psychosocial context of decision making at the end of life

judgement - an opinion formed by judging something; "he was reluctant to make his judgment known";

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    lol... gee I think maybe there is evidence on both sides that could possibly dispute your opinion... the best response would be I'm not going to judge Jack because I don't have ALL the facts, more personal opinon.

Kevorkian’s attorney, Mayer Morganroth, dismissed the study.

“All they’re doing is repeating allegations made by the pro-life people,” he told Reuters. “They’re not really of any real substance, and they’re not really accurate or true.”

Kevorkian Attorney Dismissed Study

He also attacked the authors, pointing out that Roscoe and another person involved were not medical doctors, and that a third person involved, Oakland County medical examiner L.J. Dragovic, had testified numerous times against Kevorkian and the two men were “bitter enemies.”
    “Anything [Dragovic] says has to be discounted,” Morganroth said.
    Morganroth questioned how the team was able to study 69 deaths when few of the people Kevorkian has helped have been identified.
    “I don’t know how they got 69 [people] because it just so happens they don’t know who most of them are,” he said. “That already destroys their credibility because I don’t think anybody has the names of more than 15.”
    The study’s findings seemed to suggest divorcees or people who had never married were more likely to turn to doctor-assisted suicide in the absence of safeguards.
    Roscoe and her colleagues said “persons who were divorced or had never married were overrepresented among those who died with Kevorkian’s help, suggesting the need for a better understanding of the familial and psychosocial context of decision making at the end of life
    Yes, his attorney would be a very impartial source. Hah! Let's look at one statement the attorney made:

Now, look at this list and tell me whose credibility is destroyed.

http://www.patientsrightscouncil.org...rkian-victims/

I call someone who killed over 100 innocent people a mass murderer. If you want to try to justify it, that's your issue.

If you want to try to justify it, that's your issue.
    You can't kill someone who wants to die. His patients sought out his caring aide and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    You can't kill someone who wants to die.
    Really? How about suicide by cop? The difference being that the cops are unwilling participants protecting themselves and Kevorkian was a willing killer. Assisted suicide must not have been all it was cracked up to be. I note that despite his terminal cancer, Kevorkian didn't choose it for himself.
    Last edited by 13074Glenfield; June-03-11 at 12:43 PM.

Something I could never figure out was that if guy was a doctor, why didn't he have an office to perform these procedures? He was performing these in the back of his van & in cabins in county parks. I don't understand the thought behind these primitive, compared to a medical office, locations. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.
    It had to do with persecution by the State.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Something I could never figure out was that if guy was a doctor, why didn't he have an office to perform these procedures? He was performing these in the back of his van & in cabins in county parks. I don't understand the thought behind these primitive, compared to a medical office, locations. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
    Kevorkian was not a medical doctor. He was a retired pathologist. That Kevorkian was a madman is really beyond question. A Hollywood movie obscured his true motivation for assisting with suicides and, as a result, his motives are terribly misunderstood. Read his own words and decide whether or not he was a madman.

Kevorkian explained his motives in his 1991 book Prescription: Medicide: The Goodness of Planned Death. On page 214 he admitted that assisting "suffering or doomed persons kill themselves" was "merely the first step, an early distasteful professional obligation.…What I find most satisfying," he wrote, "is the prospect of making possible the performance of invaluable experiments or other beneficial medical acts under conditions that this first unpleasant step can help establish — in a word obitiatry." [[Obitiary was his term for conducting autopsies on living human beings. Remember, he was a pathologist.)

Why conduct invasive experiments on people being euthanized? On page 34, he expressed an intense desire to "study all parts of the intact, living brain." Why? On page 243, Kevorkian explained.

“If we are ever to penetrate the mystery of death — even superficially — it will have to be through obitiatry...Knowledge about the essence of human death will of necessity require insight into the nature of the unique awareness or consciousness that characterizes cognitive human life. That is possible only through obitiatric research on living human bodies, and most likely by concentrating on the central nervous system...to pinpoint the exact onset of extinction of an unknown cognitive mechanism that energizes life.”

Kevorkian’s motives, far from helping the terminally ill escape their suffering, was to be able to conduct autopsies on living human beings before putting them to death. He was fascinated with the idea that by experimenting on living human beings, he could determine the exact mechanism of death. This is truly the product of a sick mind.
    Last edited by 13074Glenfield; June-03-11 at 01:18 PM.

That Kevorkian was a madman is really beyond question.
    True, he may have the most sane, ethical, moral person of modern times.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    True, he may have the most sane, ethical, moral person of modern times.
    Just to be clear, you say that after reading what he had to say about his desire to experiment on living human beings? I want to have some understanding of your point of view on that topic before I engage you further on the subject. Do you feel that scientific experimentation on living people is sane, ethical, and morally acceptable?
    Last edited by 13074Glenfield; June-03-11 at 01:32 PM.

Do you feel that scientific experimentation on living people is ethical and morally acceptable?
    The entire medical community worldwide does just that daily.

Do you think being a prude is morally acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by 13074Glenfield View Post
    Kevorkian was a monster. A study of 69 of his victims found that 75% were NOT terminally ill and 5 were found to have not illness whatsoever. Kevorkian primarily preyed on single and divorced women suffering from depression. He killed over 100 people. A hero? He was a mass murderer.

You must be a devout christian.

Quote Originally Posted by 13074Glenfield View Post

I obviously don't agree with your take, but just to expand the debate a bit - christians and religious people never killed anyone? Never aided and abetted? What's your take on capital punishment? War? Cruise missiles? Denying medical coverage? Hmmmm......

but just to expand the debate a bit - christians and religious people never killed anyone? Never aided and abetted?
    The most devoutly religious are among the most violent and dangerous throughout history. And among the least tolerant and forgiving. It's their way or be damned.

Remember, in the religious world where the belief is that 'God' knows all and does all, 'God' kills all living things whether they want to die or not.

Ding Dong, Dr. Death is Dead!

I saw him speak once a few years back after he was released from prison. I don't really mind if someone wants to kill themselves, but I know one thing, the second you saw the guy you got the vibe that he was Dr. Death. He just gave off a very cold aura.

He had some decent ideas at the time, including enforcing the 9th amendment which would give us all a lot more freedoms. I also remember him bursting out at one point and screaming "THE BLACKS WILL LEAD US TO FREEDOM".

The thing about wanting to perform experiments on people is true. In the same speech he began talking about wanting to give death row prisoners an option of donating themselves to scientific experiments instead of the death penalty. He could not elaborate though as his attorney stopped him from continuing.

Dr Kevorkian was an interesting character, may he rest in peace.

Of course you want to change the subject away from what Kevorkian himself specifically advocated, but this is not about religion. It is about a man who advocated slicing people's brains up while they are alive. Did you read his material? Did you read his book? Did you read any portions of it? Or were you too lazy to do that before you fired off a ridiculous response? Not wanting to slice people up in the name of quackery is hardly prudish, folks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast