Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Badass Audi Commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubTD9w6UtHc

Eminem's group isn't happy about it, but it put a smile on my face.

Wow, that is a blatent ripoff of the Chysler 200 ad. I would expect some sort of lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Wow, that is a blatent ripoff of the Chysler 200 ad. I would expect some sort of lawsuit.
    Whaaat?!

A lawsuit? A blatent ripoff? How? That's not the Eminem soundtrack. The plotlines are completely different. In the ad, he's comparing an Audi to his fencing class while driving around, I guess Berlin?, not about the rebirth of a failed automaker in Detroit. How is it you can call an apple an orange? The ads are completely different.

I'm an advocate of buying Detroit metal, but Audi builds a much more attractive car than Chrysler.
    The commericial though....it seemed incredibly similar. Not sure if Chrysler has grounds gto sue, but Audi was definately bitin'.

You could be deaf, blind and dumb and could still tell they copied the idea. I take it as a jab to American cars and Detroit by showing their high tech car, super modern city. If a jab it's funny they felt our idea cool enough to use.
    I must say that while domestics have come a long way the Germans still build damn nice cars.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    You could be deaf, blind and dumb and could still tell they copied the idea. I take it as a jab to American cars and Detroit by showing their high tech car, super modern city. If a jab it's funny they felt our idea cool enough to use.
    I must say that while domestics have come a long way the Germans still build damn nice cars.
    Yeah, Eminem invented the idea of a guy driving a car around in a downtown city at night just like he invented the idea of rap music right? No one's ever done that before him... Eminem was completely ripped off of an original idea. Okay buddy.

Here's one of Volkswagen in 2007 of a guy driving around at night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U9I7QrpSkk The Volkswagen passing the hooker and the burning van at night looks more like a rip off by a German company of an American city like Detroit than the Audi ad. They even posted their website at the end called night-driving.com

I have to agree with you davewindsor, I dont see the connection. I was half expecting to see a imported from Berlin slogan, but nothing made me wince. Check out this one from a few years back;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbcAD...layer_embedded

They won't be selling very many Audi's around these parts lol

I beg to differ. Just cross Em's beloved Eight Mile and check out Huntington Woods. Audi atop of Audi. It's a regular doooche-opolis up there

Berlin ... meh.

I could have made a much better video driving my Opel Manta through Duisburg.

Bwah Eh!

You're kidding, right? It's a STATION WAGON! Nice try attempting it to look cool and all, but it's a friggin' station wagon! I'll pass.

Buttugly if you ask me.

"You could be deaf, blind and dumb and could still tell they copied the idea. I take it as a jab to American cars and Detroit by showing their high tech car, super modern city. If a jab it's funny they felt our idea cool enough to use.
    I must say that while domestics have come a long way the Germans still build damn nice cars."

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Yeah, Eminem invented the idea of a guy driving a car around in a downtown city at night just like he invented the idea of rap music right? No one's ever done that before him... Eminem was completely ripped off of an original idea. Okay buddy.
    Ummmm davewindsor... what the hell are you talking about??

Didn't see any mention of Eminem in One Shots commenting ABOUT CHRYSLER... and yet you go off on a tirade about Eminem and jab One Shot..... what a strange reply....

Royalties were paid for the use of that song. If Eminem only wanted Chrysler to use his songs then he should have only licensed them to Chrysler. If Chrysler wanted exclusive use of his songs [[or an auto-only clause) then they should have specified that when they purchased the rights. Rights were sold to Chrysler and sold to Audi and $$ from both deals went to Eminem. Ask Bob Seger about how to put songs on lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    "You could be deaf, blind and dumb and could still tell they copied the idea. I take it as a jab to American cars and Detroit by showing their high tech car, super modern city. If a jab it's funny they felt our idea cool enough to use.
    I must say that while domestics have come a long way the Germans still build damn nice cars."

Ummmm davewindsor... what the hell are you talking about??

Didn't see any mention of Eminem in One Shots commenting ABOUT CHRYSLER... and yet you go off on a tirade about Eminem and jab One Shot..... what a strange reply....
    Maybe you should think before you speak. You can't separate the two. Eminem starred in the commercial. He was the driver. You see him after he gets out of the car at the Fox theatre in the ad. Eminem's music played in the commercial. You get his opinion. This is one of those fully integrated paid celebrity endorsements were you get a taste of the life of Eminem and what he believes in by buying this car. It's as much about Eminem as about the Chrysler 200, if not more so.

Do you think this commercial would have had the same impact if the Chrysler 200 was driven by a nobody like in the Audi ad? If Eminem was not it the commercial, the Chrysler 200 would have still been known as another rebranded POS Sebring. Eminem's name and lifestyle is what's selling this car, not the Chrysler name. No one would give a crap about this car if it wasn't for his celebrity endorsement. That's how these two ads are completely different.

For it to have been close to rip off of a Chrysler ad, you would have had to have an Eminem impersonator driving the Audi. They are completely different. Nor was the idea of driving around downtown at night an original idea.

the difference between the two commercials is that the Audi commercial is booorrrrinng zzzzzz ...
    halfway thru you are ready to shut it off - with Em's Chrysler commercial - it ends and you wish there were more of it to watch!!

For it to have been close to rip off of a Chrysler ad, you would have had to have an Eminem impersonator driving the Audi. They are completely different.
    Boy that's a stretch.... and what about the 1/3 or so of the Superbowl viewers who don't know Eminem from squat... what kind of a commercial was that to them?? Yes a Chrysler commercial...

Your logic makes about as much sense as saying that because Tim Allen does the PURE MICHIGAN travel commercials... and now that Illinois does a VERY SIMILAR commercial, but without Tim Allen... that it's not still a copycat.... Oooookay...

Anybody got any badass Washington Apples or Utah Cherries commercials to post?

YES, old men are buying 200's to emulate Eminiem.... RIGHT!!!

and that car isn't gangsta enough for the hardcore hip hop wanna be's.......

Whaaat?!

A lawsuit? A blatent ripoff? How? That's not the Eminem soundtrack. The plotlines are completely different. In the ad, he's comparing an Audi to his fencing class while driving around, I guess Berlin?, not about the rebirth of a failed automaker in Detroit. How is it you can call an apple an orange? The ads are completely different.
    I don't know about a lawsuit but if you can't tell the similarities between the song they used and Eminem's song you are probably def or just inept in regards to music.

Audi's... meh. Really slick looking, but they have the same problems as the rest of the VW/Porsche/Audi conglomerate's vehicles. Either you get one that's rock solid and you'll be driving it to the ends of the earth, or something catastrophic will fail on it. I know a guy who drove an Audi A4 - ran like a clock for a few years, then the dashboard spontaneously burst into flames while he was on the freeway. Scary thing was it was a "known issue," they were nice enough to front him some money for a new VW at least.

I have similar stories with friends and their VW's - either they run perfectly for incredible lengths of time, or a transmission flies apart or timing belt breaks cracking the cylinder head or something else massive fails.

Quote Originally Posted by xphillipjrx View Post
    Royalties were paid for the use of that song. If Eminem only wanted Chrysler to use his songs then he should have only licensed them to Chrysler. If Chrysler wanted exclusive use of his songs [[or an auto-only clause) then they should have specified that when they purchased the rights. Rights were sold to Chrysler and sold to Audi and $$ from both deals went to Eminem.

Not according to Eminem.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110601/BUSINESS01/306010001/Did-Audi-rip-off-Eminem-s-Chrysler-ad-Compare-videos?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

"A German auto commercial is hitting a little too close to home for some folks in Eminem's camp.
    Eight Mile Style, the Ferndale company that handles song licensing for the Detroit rapper, alleges that a new Audi ad uses an unauthorized interpretation of Eminem's "Lose Yourself."
    The firm says the Audi spot appears to borrow in general from the Chrysler 200's "Imported From Detroit" campaign, which uses "Lose Yourself" as its centerpiece and has been widely lauded for its uplifting portrayal of Detroit.
    Eight Mile Style filed a motion in German court this week to quash the Audi ad, which shows a driver touring an urban landscape in a 2012 A6 Avant."

All references to Chrysler should now be referred to as Fiat.
    The new majority owner of Chrysler.
    Fucking Fiat.

What is everyone in an uproar for. Chrysler did put Detroit back on the map with that comercial as well as politely dismissing other cities. You guys had to expect an answer to it.The name of the game is "Competing" I am flattered that Chrysler's promoting Detroit had such profound affect that a foreign company had to emulate it

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    What is everyone in an uproar for. Chrysler did put Detroit back on the map with that comercial as well as politely dismissing other cities. You guys had to expect an answer to it.The name of the game is "Competing" I am flattered that Chrysler's promoting Detroit had such profound affect that a foreign company had to emulate it
    Yeah, you're right... we're all just splitting hairs... now it's up to the legal folks...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Boy that's a stretch.... and what about the 1/3 or so of the Superbowl viewers who don't know Eminem from squat... what kind of a commercial was that to them?? Yes a Chrysler commercial...

Your logic makes about as much sense as saying that because Tim Allen does the PURE MICHIGAN travel commercials... and now that Illinois does a VERY SIMILAR commercial, but without Tim Allen... that it's not still a copycat.... Oooookay...
    Oh ok, if the Sebring had such a great reputation for quality as a car, why did Chrysler rebrand Sebring's name in 2011 to the Chrysler 200?

If this wasn't directed to Eminem viewers, why did Chrysler spend $15million in taxpayer borrowed money on a single new 2011 Chrysler 200 ad? The Superbowl ad alone was $9million. You don't think that's a lot of money for a single commercial? That's an enormous sum if celebrity endorsements are not worth what you say. This is a car directed toward Eminem fans. If they didn't get this celebrity endorsement, it would have still been known as that POS Sebring with a new name.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast