Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bill would allow Illinois Motorcycle Riders and Cyclists to go through Red Light

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/122865899.html

I can see the point when the light fails to chage, I just hope people don't do a half-assed stop and roll through.

Some of the demand-actuated lights have been updated to properly detect bicyclists, which may make this law quickly outdated.

Currently, red light cameras are configured to disregard cyclists for running red lights. [[Though I've never tried, and don't intend too)

That's one way to increase the organ donor pool.

I always hear bicyclists saying that they have the same rights in the streets that a motor vehicle does.
    I would imagine that includes the right to sit thru what you deem to be a long and unnecessary red light.

On another note, could some of you on here tell me whats the great appeal of a helmet optional law ?

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    On another note, could some of you on here tell me whats the great appeal of a helmet optional law ?
    In Arizona helmets are optional. The rationalization there is that they're too hot in the desert sun. I'd never ride without one. They should design a helmet with an evaporative cooler if such a thing doesn't already exist.

Oh, and I've experienced a traffic light stuck on red. It was in Denver in the middle of the night. There was almost no traffic around. I must have waited five minutes rolling back and forth trying to trigger a sensor. This was in a full-sized car too.

At some point you just have to recognize that the only sane thing to do is to overrule the broken machine and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    In Arizona helmets are optional. The rationalization there is that they're too hot in the desert sun. I'd never ride without one. They should design a helmet with an evaporative cooler if such a thing doesn't already exist.
    Thank you, it would seem that riding without a helmet would leave you little to no margin of error if somehow you fell off your bike.

Do a lot of Detroiters still blow red lights in their cars? If so, this law would just add to the mess.

When I first read about this, it only addressed bicycles. I can understand and support that due to their size, weight and mass. I agree it would be unlikely for them to trigger the sensors. Plus, they don't generally ride within traffic lanes.

Motorcycles however are a different matter. Many of them are heavier that some cars. A full sized Harley with a side-car for example.

I support it for bicycles, but not for motorcycles.