Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Recommendations for someone to refinish hardwood floors

Hi all,
    I searched the site for previous threads on refinishing floors but didn't find anything. I have an 11x11 bedroom whose hardwood floors I want to be restored--sanded down, match the stain with the rest of the floor, stain and install shoe moulding in the room. I've had one estimate on it but I know from past experience that it was completely overpriced. I need a trusted referral. Can anyone put me in touch with somebody to do the job? Thanks. Chris

I have never used this guy, but I have heard from others that he is very good at hardwood floors. Tell him you got the referral from Phyllis [[used to be his neighbor)

STURIANO FLOORS
    Hardwood Perfectionist
    Mike Sturiano
    Sanding/Refinishing
    [[586) 943-6362

Kim Berg [[313) 882-1168

He does a lot of work in Indian Village.

I second the recommendation of Kim Berg.

Thanks for the replies--and for the link to the archived thread [[I thought I did search the archive, so I'll have to look to see how you found that). The floor in the room is not in the best of shape and the real trick will be trying to match the stain of the original [[1929) floor--not just something you can pick up at Home Depot. Thanks again.

We used Dande Floors in Redford some six years ago and we were very pleased. Excellent reputation.
    http://www.dandefloors.com/

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidechris View Post
    Thanks for the replies--and for the link to the archived thread [[I thought I did search the archive, so I'll have to look to see how you found that).
    You're most welcome. I just Googled site:atdetroit.net floors and it was the first hit.

12'x12', thats a pretty small room. Do you have a small piece of the same wood you can run tests on to match it up? All the sanders are available to rent by the hour at Home Depot. You really could do this by yourself, its not that hard. Jst dont mix a water based stain with an oil based poly or vice versa and of course dont stain ourself into a corner. You actually could do a 12x12 room with a small pad sander. I would probably stay away from belt sanders until you have some experience with using one.

Good luck.. .

Should run about 4 to 5 dollars a foot. Should be about a 500.00 job., at the most.

you're probably gonna have a real hard time getting someone who's known and reputable to come out for a 12x12 room, if they are good, they are busy.....

that being said, it's a lot harder to do yourself than it looks, at least to get it flat.....

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    . Do you have a small piece of the same wood you can run tests on to match it up?
    That is pretty good question. You might want to consider the nature of sanding itself; by definition you are asking someone to remove an 1/8" - or more - of the current floor thereby taking it back to its virgin state, then you are asking that virgin wood to look 80 yrs old. Personally, I would never expect a good match from an 80 yr old virgin.

You could be setting yourself up for disappointment and hard-feelings with whomever you hire.

You might entertain some fancy wood marquetry on the threshold to fool the eye at the transition point. If there is a design on the floor you won't be able to tell that the old floor doesn't match the new-old floor.

There are decent floor sanders out there who will get you a good color match, but it will cost you, for several reasons. Any floor sander worth his weight will run several samples, if he can, on the same wood. Your old oak floors are white oak. Most new flooring is red oak, so he'll have to go find a piece of white oak to practice on. If he has decent stain collection, he may be able to bring it with him and sample in your house. This may take longer than actually sanding the floor.

In addition, staining floors is one of the most difficult things to do, even for a seasoned professional, without the proper tools. Cutting a sixteenth of an inch off your floor is easy, but he'll have to screen the floor in addition to get it smooth and evenly sanded, probably with 100 grit. Then he has to apply the stain by hand. The "stained polyeurathanes" available at the store yield unsatisfactory results.

Finally, if he has gone thru all this work, the last thing he's going to do is leave you with a floor that will wear out in 10 years. Expect three to four coats, sanding between each coat, [[and ask that the first two be glossy, because it has fewer resins than a satin, and is much harder). A professional floor guy will know this. With 130-140' sq., expect to pay as such. With toe/shoe mouldings also stained to match, you could expect to pay starting 600, and easily go up from there.

Kim Burg has done a lot of work around town, including mine. A strong recommendation!

Just an update for the thread: we ended up going with Kim Berg. His base price [[to just sand and stain) was the cheapest of the three estimates we had, but for a little bit more, he also took care of shoe moulding around the room and cut off the radiator pipe that was protruding from the floor and then replaced that spot with wood [[none of the other two contractors even mentioned getting rid of the pipe).
    The work he did was nothing short of spectacular. He was able to remove ALL the stains that had worked themselves into the wood over the past 75+ years and then managed to nearly match the stain of the wood on the rest of the second floor of our house. As for where the radiator pipe used to be, you can't even tell it was there! I'd recommend him to anybody who needs their floors refinished.

Had a guy named Tony, he had an ad in the Grosse Point News.
    He did the floors of a rental house.
    Excellent job, 3 coats of polyeurathane.
    Fantastic job

There are lots of option's available online for the hardwood refinishing services .And its up to you what you choose according to your budget and needs. http://www.woodsmithhardwood.ca/hard...hing-services/