Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fine Wayne County restaurants from the past

Remember La Fontaine [at the Ren Center] Ponchartrain Wine Cellars, Money Tree, London Chop House ,Caucus Club, Aldos[on Kelly] Allietes [think it was on Porter] Bennos in Indian Village [and the place next door I forget the name of] ....,, Cardinali's [on Mitchell and Gratiot] -- All had great food and their own special atmosphere- Fun times ,,but you had to bring your wallet

Quote Originally Posted by alkiwat View Post
    Remember La Fontaine [at the Ren Center] Ponchartrain Wine Cellars, Money Tree, London Chop House ,Caucus Club, Aldos[on Kelly] Allietes [think it was on Porter] Bennos in Indian Village [and the place next door I forget the name of] ....,, Cardinali's [on Mitchell and Gratiot] -- All had great food and their own special atmosphere- Fun times ,,but you had to bring your wallet
    Ah, Cardinali's, where the wine was served in . . . coffee cups! A holdover from Prohibition? Never figured that one out.

ate at all those restraunts - thanks for the memories. Used to be a regular at LaFontaine - one of the waiters from there is now working at Bistro 222 in Dearborn. Was also a regular in the bar area at LaFontaine - anyone remember Kevin the bartender [[may he rip).

Anyone remember Joey's Stables? I never got to go but heard it was excellent ...

I've got a bad track record for places downtown:

Muer's - Didn't care for the soft shell crab, but my swordfish was fantastic. Closed a few months later.

Duet - Really swanky inside, food was only OK. Great location next to Orchestra Hall, closed the following summer

The Summit - Used to go here all the time for Mother's day. Went one last time in high school before a dance, closed a couple months later

I really miss the old, pre-remodel Twingos. It was my favorite spot when I was going to WSU. Then came the too-long remodel that sucked the character out of the place, along with it's menu reduction and pointless price increases...

Not to mention Zoot's, the best coffee house ever.

The Caucus Club is still open.

Quote Originally Posted by 13074Glenfield View Post

My aunt lived on Glenfield for years 14337 Glenfield -- a few houses off the corner of Chalmers? -- She moved due to the neighborhood changing -- She lived downstairs and her soon to be boyfriend [the owner,, lived upstairs] --- those were nice flats --- smallish kitchen,, but nice

Quote Originally Posted by 13074Glenfield View Post
    . . . and still excellent!

Little Harry's on Jefferson. 18th century house torn down without a real permit on a weekend by A.Baker Demo co.

Victor Lim's on Grand Circus Park. The closest we had to a fine Chinese restaurant in the late 40's early 50's.

Topinka's on the Blvd. right across from the Fisher Bldg.

and more to come.

I miss the Red Barn.

Forbidden City, Chin Tiki, Snow White Lounge, Cregar's, Alliette's, Maria's...

Everyone miss Jim Muir's Restuarant on Gratiot Ave and E. Vernor Ave. Great steaks and so much more.

Joey's Stables was excellent, as well as Topinka's at 7 Mile and Telegraph. Another great place for steak was John Lafferys Steaks on the Hearth across from Topinkas. Back in the 60's i did valet parking for Lafferys.

Topinka's on the Blvd was the best; I also miss the drinks at Trader Vic's on Washington.
    And Danny, I think you mean Joe Muer's.

From the east side, including GP:

Golden Lion, Bronze Door, Old Place, and, much later on, Sparky Herberts.

Kyoto's? in the RenCen was good. I miss Nemo's and Big Boy also. RenCen needs a mid-priced family restaurant or a nice rest/bar like Nemo's. Something between the Food Court and Andiamo's.

i remember going to victor lims with my parents when i was very young - the waiters all wore matching waistcoats with silver badges - i was born on san juan between puritan and mcnichols [[1958) - at the corner was a supper club larco's - i remember going with my dad to pick up pizza at rocky's - i think on 7mle. as a young adult before i left michigan [[1985) i loved pipers alley in the heart of downtown - like a fern restaurant/bar - it had great food and drinks. marios on 2nd, lelli's at woodward and the blvd, in my college [[u of d) [[drinking) days we used to go for after bar fare at the m & m shrinp shack on 8 mile - i forget the cross street,,,, lol.... but around the northland area. in dearborn on michigan ave just east of downtown west dearborn was the chicago road house. on 7 and telegraph laffrey's steaks on the hearth. i always enjoyed carls in the late 70's and early 80's - we'd always go there for dinner before a baseball or hockey game - they used to bring you that great relish tray before dinner. i could go on forever...........
    i've been in manhattan since1985 and we have some great dining; but nothing will ever stand up to some of the great places that i grew up with in detroit and its suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    From the east side, including GP:

Golden Lion, Bronze Door, Old Place, and, much later on, Sparky Herberts.

Red Devil Pizza on Fenkell.

How about Perini's on Whittier? [[Perinni's?) not sure of spelling. And Lelli's on Woodward.

Paul's Steak House on Plymouth and Telegraph. Great food.

I loved Perinni's on Whittier!

I also miss the Turttle Soup Inn on 6 Mile, just before Conant and the Little Cafe on Gratiot.

An underrated neigborhood joint was a small, family owned restaraunt on Gratiot near 6 Mile called Schumann's. I'm not sure if that's the correct spelling, but it had great German cooking and closed in the late 70's. Any one else remember it?

More... old pic of Topinkas. Lafferys is still open.

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/83010.html

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    More... old pic of Topinkas. Lafferys is still open.
    I thought Laffery's had closed [[see attached article).

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...REE/912019995#

Catch22 as of four days ago Laffery's was still closed. There was a large dumpster in the parking lot, so not sure if they are emptying the place or getting ready to remodel and have new owner.

thanks for all the mentions - Topinkas and Laffreys on 7 mile were excellent as mentioned - The large wood rooms of Topinkas and the balcony at Laffreys----Remember the seafood buffet at a restaurant inside the Troy Hilton- Quite impressive - Is that restaurant or hotel still there?? The Northfield Hilton??? Isn't that the home of Charlies Crab??? Is Charlies still there ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast