Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Weiner gets "hacked", or was it just a "prank"?

Randolph Jenkins over at DailyKos asks, "Why hasn't Weiner contacted the FBI/Law Enforcement to report Breitbart's hack?"

Perhaps it's because Rep. Anthony Weiner [[D-NY) is now backpedalling and claiming it was only a "prank". Big difference, because hacking a Congressman's account can be a Federal Offense. Rep. Weiner has already "lawyered up", yet his counsel has so far not contacted the FBI.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm writing about, here's a pretty good primer on what happened over the weekend.

I don't think this will end well for Rep. Weiner, unless the mainstream media continues their news blackout on this incident.

Maybe it's because it's his prerogative on how big of a deal he wants to make of it? It's not required that they bring in the FBI. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no congressman...no matter how debauched or depraved or how deeply in the closet [[ahem..Aaron Schock), is going to tweet out a pic of his junk on his official twiiter/facebook/website...etc. Private email..ok. shooting a text ...ok.. but the offical site? come on.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Maybe it's because it's his prerogative on how big of a deal he wants to make of it? It's not required that they bring in the FBI. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no congressman...no matter how debauched or depraved or how deeply in the closet [[ahem..Aaron Schock), is going to tweet out a pic of his junk on his official twiiter/facebook/website...etc. Private email..ok. shooting a text ...ok.. but the offical site? come on.
    "Come on" you say? I think you're sitting on the wrong side of where the cut will eventually be made on that limb!

All it takes is to inadvertently change a direct private tweet into a public one is to mistakenly type an "@" in place of the letter "d".

Damn, I thought this thread was about whatever happened to Detroit's own Ken Weiner, he of the Coleman Young days.

As far as Anthony Weiner is concerned, Republican's have been against him ever since he pointed out their hypocricy and how they refused to help the 911 rescue workers with their healthcare.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; May-31-11 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    "Come on" you say? I think you're sitting on the wrong side of where the cut will eventually be made on that limb!

All it takes is to inadvertently change a direct private tweet into a public one is to mistakenly type an "@" in place of the letter "d".
    perhaps. I was just saying that I would hope that these people wouldn't use twitter at all for sending junk pics. Could be wrong. Might have been drunk or just arrogant. Who knows. If it is true, he's going to go down for the cover up and not the "crime". It's not like he's a bible beating defender of marriage. Kinda gross...yea, for sure. Scandalous? only if you lower the bar considerably.

This isn't even newsworthy. Repubs are desperately, desperate. Toast will be served, next November.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    This isn't even newsworthy......
    Of course not, Weiner is a Democrat.

But if you are a Republican who does something similar, like Rep. Chris Lee [[R-NY) did last February, the press is all over it and in a matter of hours you are forced to submit your resignation from Congress.

This just reeks of Breitbart. From all accounts, Weiner is a screamer and a terrible boss, but not this kind of republican-style pervert. I bet that odious little creep that works for Andy is at the bottom of this.

Of course not, Weiner is a Democrat.

But if you are a Republican who does something similar, like Rep. Chris Lee [[R-NY) did last February, the press is all over it and in a matter of hours you are forced to submit your resignation from Congress.
    The problem with that comparison is that Chris Lee was shown to be a gigantic hypocrite. Weiner did not base his political identity on being a moral crusader and rabidly anti gay. If you are going to be one who decides it;s the government's job to scrutinize the sex lives and sexuality of your fellow citizens and you get caught with shirtless pics on craigslist trolling for tranny sex....well, THAT is a scandal.

Does that mean weiner is free to be an amoral asshole? no. but it does lower the heat on any sort of "scandalousness" of his behavior. Again.. if proven true, he should be pilloried for a ham handed cover up and lying about it.
    Last edited by bailey; June-01-11 at 09:13 AM.

I would believe anything associated with Breitbart

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_congressman_twitter_photo

This is disappointing. He was one of the few politicians I liked.

He always seemed slimy to me. From the start I thought he was dirty, it was just a matter of whether the media would pursue the story or not. Fortunately, Breitbart did the heavy lifting for the mainstream media on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    This just reeks of Breitbart. From all accounts, Weiner is a screamer and a terrible boss, but not this kind of republican-style pervert. I bet that odious little creep that works for Andy is at the bottom of this.
    You lost your bet. It's a tough lesson, but pols like Weiner and Edwards ought to teach us not to be blinded by ideology.

I listened to part of his press conference. If I interpret correctly, I think he said "I've been lying for the past week but ABC is going to prove I was lying, so now I have to come clean [[so to speak)." Also, "I used bad judgment in having these electronic relationships, but I'm not going to resign so I can keep using bad judgment on a much grander scale."

Well, at least he didn't commit adultery, or blow someone, like repubs do often. Just sent a picture in underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Well, at least he didn't commit adultery, or blow someone, like repubs do often. Just sent a picture in underwear.
    How do you know he hasn't done anything more serious - just because he says so? Why should anyone believe anything he has to say now or in the future?

He consistently lied about this incident until it was evident that he needed to shift to a "Plan B", hence today's tearful press conference. I think we will see a "Plan C" unfold very soon.

I'll go out on a limb here and predict that this limp weiner will soon be headed back to NY, despite his insistence that he isn't going to quit. By his lack of honesty to his wife, his constituents, his party leaders and the media, he has lost his effectiveness and is nothing more than a distraction while he tries to hang on to his position as a elected official.

In the future, Weiner's only claim to fame will be that his name will be listed in the thesaurus when you look for the antonym of "certitude".
    Last edited by Mikeg; June-06-11 at 08:59 PM. Reason: fix typo

so when do you start believing a liar, dog? Mr. Wiener is one and the small truth that he calls himself a Democrat does not change that fact. Being a lap dog to any single political party is small-minded, close-minded and a tad pathetic.

I wouldn't make a partisan thing out of this. It happens on both sides of the aisle. And I continue to be puzzled at how utterly, friggin, DUMB these educated people can be.

He's done.
    You can't do something like this, lie about it and survive, especially if your name is Weiner. The jokes will never end.

Since there are no holidays coming up he'll probably resign on Friday.

If this guy was my brother I couldn't vote for him in good conscious.

It's great to have a Weiner to bait. I'm praying he doesn't resign. The Democrats have another liar to defend and we're getting their same old platitudes - "well' everybody does it" - and all their usual excuses, deflections of blame and attempts to discredit the messenger. They huff and they puff but we all know [[themselves included) that deep down they hate hate hate it and they don't like it up 'em. The result of another "bump in the road" I guess and great reportage from Andrew Briebart.[[what a guy!).
    Last edited by coracle; June-07-11 at 01:57 PM.

Some very funny Twitter reactions!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I wouldn't make a partisan thing out of this. It happens on both sides of the aisle. And I continue to be puzzled at how utterly, friggin, DUMB these educated people can be.
    It really shouldn't be a partisan thing because both Dems and Repubs are guilty. The thing that bothers me more are when the social conservatives who tend to be Repubs tell us how we should act then get caught messing with boys or hookers. Other than that we should just mark it up to being human.

BTW no matter how educated these folks are they forget that its the cover-up more so than the crime that always gets them.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    It really shouldn't be a partisan thing because both Dems and Repubs are guilty. The thing that bothers me more are when the social conservatives who tend to be Repubs tell us how we should act then get caught messing with boys or hookers. Other than that we should just mark it up to being human.

BTW no matter how educated these folks are they forget that its the cover-up more so than the crime that always gets them.
    Why is it that you seem to think the "hypocrite" accusation is more important than the lying and cover-up attempts? Yes, we all have failings but the blatant lies to me are truly indicative of not only a moral failing but also a massive character flaw that should render the person unfit for elected office.

To me, the only partisan angle is how does the party leadership deal with these kinds of issues? I think there has been a night vs. day difference between how Pelosi the "swamp drainer" has handled Weiner vs. how Boehner handled Chris Lee.

To me, the only partisan angle is how does the party leadership deal with these kinds of issues? I think there has been a night vs. day difference between how Pelosi the "swamp drainer" has handled Weiner vs. how Boehner handled Chris Lee.
    Pelosi is calling for an ethics investigation.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/blogs/tic...150450660.html

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, who is close to Weiner, was the first lawmaker to publicly call for an ethics investigation yesterday, looking into whether Weiner used government resources or broke House rules in his raunchy online messaging.

Why is it that you seem to think the "hypocrite" accusation is more important than the lying and cover-up attempts? Yes, we all have failings but the blatant lies to me are truly indicative of not only a moral failing but also a massive character flaw that should render the person unfit for elected office.
    I can understand the blatant lies, I understand its human nature for one to cover up and for lying after getting there hand caught in the cookie jar. Thats why I said the cover-up is worst than the crime itself, because the cover-up is about lying which is a massive character flaw, at least for public office.

The reason I feel the so-call hypocrite accusation as you state is worst is this:

You have some social conservative who is telling me how I should live my life. This person is saying my way is the way you need to do things. It doesn't matter that I am a consenting adult and as long as I don't commit a crime or hurt people I should be able to do as I please. Then this person goes out and does the exact opposite of what he's preaching. If you preach to me about what I need to be doing, then you need to do the same thing.

Thats why I have more disdain for these social conservatives when they are caught in sex scandals.

Before you put a star on Boehner's forehead, remember he threw Lee under the bus, only because he didn't need Lee dominating the 24 hour news cycle while he's trying to hammer Obama into submission. Also he thought Lee's district was safely Repub and he could get another Repub in there. Oh ! Oh ! Boehner thought wrong. At least Lee admitted what he did and didn't try to cover up. Boehner didn't even support the guy. He was deserving of at least as much support as Pelosi is giving Weiner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast