Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "Dreams Come True" at Comerica Park

Don't know how many of you caught today's "Dreams Come True" at the old ballpark, but today's recepient was Retired DPD Sgt. Ray Rito, who has ALS. Ray and I were police cadets back in the mid '50s, serving at practically all the 15 precinct stations as precinct switchboard operators. We both then came 'on the job' as we reached the magic '21' years of age. Ray was an absolutely wonderful person; warm hearted, outreaching, and just doggone fun to be around.

I lost touch with Ray years back, but when I found the photos at the link below, the memories -- and the tears -- flowed.

I'm so happy he had his special day at the ball park. I hope he beats that dreaded disease for many years to come.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/slides...94/detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Don't know how many of you caught today's "Dreams Come True" at the old ballpark, but today's recepient was Retired DPD Sgt. Ray Rito, who has ALS. Ray and I were police cadets back in the mid '50s, serving at practically all the 15 precinct stations as precinct switchboard operators. We both then came 'on the job' as we reached the magic '21' years of age. Ray was an absolutely wonderful person; warm hearted, outreaching, and just doggone fun to be around.

I lost touch with Ray years back, but when I found the photos at the link below, the memories -- and the tears -- flowed.

I'm so happy he had his special day at the ball park. I hope he beats that dreaded disease for many years to come.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/slides...94/detail.html

Ray if you want to get in touch with him I MAY have his email still floating around I bought his duty gun and od gun about 6 months ago. I know he was starting to have alot of medical problems.
    Last edited by Popcanman55; May-30-11 at 06:48 PM.

I found his addy and phone number on zabasearch, Pop. I'm gonna give him a call later in the week. Thanks anyway; much appreciated.

I never worked with him but he seemed to be a great guy his od is now my od after mine wouldn't index at qualifications after 36yrs

Pop -- and all -- I called Ray this afternoon and we chatted for 15 minutes or so over old times. He has Caller ID on his phone, and greeted me by name, which choked me up right from the git-go. He sounded good on the phone, very positive and sharp as a tack.

I pledged to call him and drop in at his home in Trenton for a cup of coffee in August when Marge and I will be there.

Then I hung up the phone and dwelled on the past for a couple of hours. Sigh.