Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default My brother is remembered in the Observer today for his ultimate sacrifice

This story is about an amazing twist of fate. My brother died in Viet Nam, he is not forgotten, he is a hero.

http://www.hometownlife.com/apps/pbc...=2011105290450

Happy Memorial Day everyone, remember to think about what it means. See some of you at the picnic later!
    Last edited by qweek; May-29-11 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by qweek View Post
    This story is about an amazing twist of fate. My brother died in Vietnam, he is not forgotten, he is a hero.

http://www.hometownlife.com/apps/pbc...=2011105290450

Happy Memorial Day everyone, remember to think about what it means. See some of you at the picnic later!
    Qweek, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother in Viet Nam. Of all the veterans of all the wars we've had, I hold a very soft spot for Viet Nam vets. They were so young to deal with something that was so hard to understand and then the ones who were lucky enough to come back took so much flack for incidents beyond their control; all of the vituperation from those who stayed behind where it was safe directed at boys who hadn't even made it to adulthood yet. Please accept my condolences on this weekend especially and all the rest of the days in general. I'm so glad someone has reached out to your family to remember the brother you barely knew.

jcole, thank you so much for your words so true. Have you ever been to the Wall in Washington D.C.? I went once, I could hardly catch my breath and found it hard to swallow looking at the names that seemed to go on forever, so many names, so many dead, so very,very sad. I imagined every one of them standing there, a massive crowd of bravery, it was overwhelming.

A good day to remember all those who have paid to give us the freedom we enjoy, queek. Lost my first cousin in 'nam. Say hellow to him at
    http://tinyurl.com/3lpbved

That's a beautiful story, qweek. Thanks so much for sharing it and sharing the sacrifice. We, too, will never forget. I lost friends to the Viet Nam conflict, and there were many who came back irretrievably changed. Even now, the specter of Agent Orange hangs over those who came back.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Qweek, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother in Viet Nam. Of all the veterans of all the wars we've had, I hold a very soft spot for Viet Nam vets. They were so young to deal with something that was so hard to understand and then the ones who were lucky enough to come back took so much flack for incidents beyond their control; all of the vituperation from those who stayed behind where it was safe directed at boys who hadn't even made it to adulthood yet. Please accept my condolences on this weekend especially and all the rest of the days in general. I'm so glad someone has reached out to your family to remember the brother you barely knew.
    Yes, I have been to the Wall and I've been to the moving Wall a couple times when it came to Lapeer County. It is heartbreaking and touching and too many other adjectives to mention.

Thats an incredible story ! I think I've finally gotten over the '' Happy '' term used in Memorial Day that people often use . My story began in 2005 when I left a note on the Virtual Wall and I would wait 5 years for someone to see it and respond . It was one of two of my brothers best friends in the Army . The 3 were split up just before shipping out to Vietnam because they couldn't stay out of trouble in Hawaii where they were stationed . 2 weeks into the tour my brother was killed by friendly fire and his 2 friends were devasted as we all were . My brothers friend started his search for family a year later when he came home . My parents were divorced and my brother lived in Birmingham with our mother a short , so thats where he searched . We were from Ferndale , so nothing but dead ends . He searched for over 40 years until he saw my memory post on the Wall and contacted me . His search was finally over . He lived only a short distance from the Detroit area [[ Ft. Wayne , IN.) I invited him up in late March of last year for a visit to the grave but still too much ice and snow for us to find it . Late this last summer he came back with his wife of over 40 years for another visit . It was very emotional for him at the gravesite with over 40 years of grief bottled up inside of him which started us all bawling . He got some closure and we've become good friends , shared alot of stories , photo's , etc. and I will be headed for a visit to Indiana with the Mrs. this summer . We would have probably never met if I didn't leave a memory on the Virtual Wall .

On a side note I'm sure everyone has seen a banner in somebody's window at some time with the blue star , which means a family member is serving in a war , same banner with a gold star means someone has lost a family member in a war . qweek and myself are a gold star family and Michigan passed a law this week allowing a commemorative license plate [[gold star family ) available about July 1st for an extra $5 The plate will be the white background/blue lettering one . I intend to get one . Many other States [[but not all) already have a license plate like this one .
    http://virtualwall.org/dp/PerkettDL01a.htm
    http://virtualwall.org/

Attachment 9829

Here's what the plate will look like .

I'm not sure what if any documentation will be required to get one .

http://www.michigan.gov/snyder/0,160...6862--,00.html
    Last edited by Wingnatic; May-29-11 at 03:32 PM.

Bless you all this Memorial Day as I know just about everyone has had experiences and grief due to one war or another. Every once in awhile, as in Wingnatic and my case, something remarkable happens, a hidden door opens. I now have a new brother in Pat, he even calls me his "Sis" and I call him "brother" when we talk, sometimes for hours on the phone, like we have always known each other.
    Wingnatic, please share the Observer story with your "brother" in Indiana, the Virtual Wall website is a blessing for us, look what it has done for you and me and I'm certain many others. I didn't know about the license plate, I think I will be getting one as well, it would be really nice to get one for my Mom too.
    Isn't it amazing how life works so mysteriously, is it all fate, destiny, chance, coincidence or a little of everything. A big hug and a tear or two for you all this holiday.

Qweek I am so sorry for your loss. There are no other words that come to mind other than the ones already written by those above. This story is an amazing twist of fate for sure. I am going to read the book "Fortunate Soldier".

I am also sorry for your loss Ray.
    Last edited by eriedearie; May-30-11 at 12:28 AM. Reason: typo

Awesome story, Qweeg!! I'm sure that meeting Pat has brought closure and much more to you and your family as well as to him. My cousin served and survived his tour in Vietnam. That fact may have influenced my decision to begin wearing a POW/MIA bracelet, which I have now worn for 40 years. I have visited the Wall in DC as well as the travelling Wall numerous times here and on the road. I will never forget!!!

Thanks for sharing your story Qweek.

My sister just came back from her trip to San Jose, Ca. today, [[she lives with Mom in South Lyon) before she could even put her stuff down the phone rang. Judy answered to hear a woman asking if she is related to Arnold, the woman sounded as if she was crying according to my sister. It turns out the woman knew him well, my brother and her daughter were dating before he shipped off to war. The article caught her by surprise, she said she couldn't even finish reading it through her tears. I'll be meeting this lady and her daughter Christine soon. My sister got all their info and when Mom comes home from the coast we'll have another reunion. From conversations I've had with his buddies I hear my brother was a great dancer, he had "all the moves" they say. I'll have to ask this lady if that was true. Thanks for all the kindness you've shared with me this Memorial weekend Detroit, I love you.

Anyone remember the tribute that Ch. 4 used to run with Carmen Harlan and Mort Crim on Memorial Day ? It listed all the KIA from the area. To this day I cannot watch and listen to the music from that without breaking down. 3 friends are on the wall. Saturday I found out my best friend, a Vietnam vet had suddenly died from a heart attack. RIP Tom.

I don't recall that tribute, but I understand. I'll keep you and your friend in my nightly thoughts to the forces above and beyond, that is all I have to give. I hope you are alright, cherish your memories with your best friend Tom, I'm sure others out there will think and pray for you and your friend too.

Quote Originally Posted by qweek View Post
    I don't recall that tribute, but I understand. I'll keep you and your friend in my nightly thoughts to the forces above and beyond, that is all I have to give. I hope you are alright, cherish your memories with your best friend Tom, I'm sure others out there will think and pray for you and your friend too.
    I went through a box of old VHS tapes and found it. It was from Memorial Day 1988. I wonder if WDIV keeps copies of previous special broadcasts. Might be worth a try to contact them. Thank you for your kind words.

My Pop was attending MSU around the time I was born. He went to a Marine Corp recruitment rally/speech on the campus. He came home to my Mom that evening and told her that he would be going to VietNam, that he had signed up to be a Marine. I cant imagine what my Mom went through when he told her that but she dealt with it and never spoke an ill word about him, unlike me who grew up pretty pissed. He wasnt in the country for more than a few months before he was killed in Quang Nam, I was 11 months old.
    About 10 years ago I found a few sights online related to the 3rd battalion 5th Marines and put out the question if anyone had known my Dad. I didnt think anyone would since he wasnt there all that long before being KIA. A few years later I got a response and then a few years later another. Both men had remembered my Dad and Im still in contact via e mail with one of them. The other one, while in that last battle, found that his gun had jammed, my Pop had already been killed so he picked up and used my Fathers gun for the rest of the 5 hour battle. Neither of the Men remember my Dad all that well but its nice to know he did make some friends. They of course spoke highly of him.
    During these years another man got in contact with me. He was from Scotland as I remember, he called the city/county building in Ann Arbor, somehow got a relatives number who then contacted me. This guy from Scotland had a set of my Fathers medals and was kind enough to track me down. He said he obtained them in a trade show and he collected such medals. He went to a lot of trouble to find me and my Mom, then sent them to me. I have no Idea how they wound up in that part of the world and its odd because I already have a set of his medals, framed. The ones he sent me were sealed in plastic much like a proof coin set would be. I have no idea why there would be two sets. There is no other James W. Davis who was killed in VietNam and it is an exact duplicate set, same medals as the ones I already had. My Dads flag sits folded above the cash register at The Old Miami.

http://www.combatwife.net/memdavis.htm

Hope you all had a free and happy Memorial Day.

I wonder how many families were affected that way? I know my DH got a hardship exemption when he was drafted for Viet Nam, because we had a baby due any minute. My dad, a WWII Marine vet, decided to re-enlist for Korea over my mom's screaming objections, but they wouldn't take him as he had two young children, one barely a month old. I guess some of the recruiters had hearts and some wanted to fill quotas.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I wonder how many families were affected that way? I know my DH got a hardship exemption when he was drafted for Viet Nam, because we had a baby due any minute. My dad, a WWII Marine vet, decided to re-enlist for Korea over my mom's screaming objections, but they wouldn't take him as he had two young children, one barely a month old. I guess some of the recruiters had hearts and some wanted to fill quotas.
    I think my so called high school advisor was getting kickbacks from recruiters. I will admit I was not the best student, but when he advised me to quit school, [[His exact words "Stop wasting our time and the taxpayers money"), and go enlist, I told him to screw himself. I did not graduate with my class in June, but the following January. The best thing, I met my wife of 39 years in the Sept-Jan semester. I wonder how many classmates actually followed his so called advice.

Looks as if all goes well, Sums, Ronaldj and I will be heading to DC to see the wall on Fathers Day. If anyone needs a rubbing let me know, I would gladly get one.

Queek, sorry, I didnt mean to jack your thread. That was truly a great story. Im going to try and find the book Fortunate Soldier. I think Ive been on Dyes for about 10 yrs now and Ive never mentioned my real fathers death, your post made me feel comfortable enough to do so. My Dad truly believed in the United States of America, but no doubt wanted that taste of blood that so many young men crave at that age. You do have a rubbing of your brothers name right?

Django, you too have a a story to share and I don't mind if you or anyone else lets it out here. These feelings and experiences are good to let out, to share with others. I hope your trip to DC is as memorable as mine was, take plenty of Kleenex, you will need it. I have a rubbing of Arnolds name, but you can walk by and say "Hi, from your baby sister Tina" for me.
    http://thewall-usa.com/info.asp?recid=45613

Peace.