Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default American Coney Island - Did part of that building used to be United Shirt?

The title says it all. This is to settle a small wager. I thought United Shirt was across Michigan Avenue.

you can find out more information on this and the other locations on this old thread:

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1187216739

Yes, rsa's picture is exactly as I remember it -- I shopped there a couple of times in the late 80s [[1987 or so), so United Shirt was still there as of then.

God I miss the Lafayette Building. Such a shame taking that one down...

Thanks for the quick response - but I lost the bet.

if you look near the top of the building from lafayette st you can still see the outline of the united shirt sign

That corner end of it was. A dark brown building. I had purchased a terri-clothe V-neck short sleeve shirt from there in 1980. A nice store

Quote Originally Posted by rencense View Post
    if you look near the top of the building from lafayette st you can still see the outline of the united shirt sign
    If you look to the left of where it says "American Coney Island" on the Michigan Ave side, you can also see the lettering outline where it was once painted to the side of the building.

I ate dinner at American Coney Island tonight.... Oh so good

I hadn't planned on it, but after reading this thread, I think I'll have lunch at Lafayette Coney. So much for my diet!

Getting back to the thread, I used to shop at the U.S. that was at Eastland Mall in the 70's and 80's.