Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Allegations made against WSU police...

The Wayne State University police division has been a benefit to some who live near WSU. I've seen them as far over as Rosa Parks Blvd [[12th street). But this does not sound good at all! So far the officer has been suspended........

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...police-officer

I live on campus, on Forest...I went downstairs to my apartment building's porch recently and there were about 6 WSU cops and several Detroit undercover cops on the porch with their guns out on the other side of the glass, ready to kick the door in. I opened it and they ran past me up the stairs into the building and knocked on the first door that they came to. It turns out they had some kind of tip in RE: a domestic dispute and had the wrong building...they ended up going next door, arresting someone, and then letting him go. I was not happy that we almost got our door kicked in, and I'm also wondering why the Detroit police are joining WSU on operations in the one neighborhood where their help is not needed. It also seems asinine to run into an 8-unit building with no clue as to which apartment you want to enter. [[...)

If they let them go, then they weren't arrested, they were under investigation. They didn't almost kick your door open, they nearly forced entry into your building. Obviously, the run must have came out as a person with a weapon, which would explain both the numbers as well as the weapons out. Would you have been happy if the incident was in your building and somebody was shot and killed because the the police were waiting around outside and didn't make entry in time? A large number of runs originate from a concerned neighbor, who may know the circumstances, but not necessarily the correct address. Detroit did not "join" WSU, it is DPD'S jurisdiction, in which WSU is allowed to patrol. Lockups by WSU go to a DPD facility. I would disagree with DPD'S help not being needed, as I read the crime updates by WSU, and the more help the area has the better. Not sure how its asinine to run into a building where information leads them to believe a serious threat requiring multiple units exists. It's easy to criticize when one doesn't have a clue what really goes on in the city and their surrounding area.
    Last edited by Supersport; May-25-11 at 11:41 PM.

WSU--especially within the boundaries of the campus itself, and not the bordering areas that the WSU police choose to patrol--is more under control than almost anywhere else in city limits, and most, if not all, of the crime doesn't involve guns. It's a lot of larceny and cars being broken into. Since WSU has its own police department, the DPD should be focusing on the rest of the city, where even the most serious crimes elicit response times over a half-hour [[the WSU response time is under a minute). I see Detroit police making routine traffic stops all the time in my area...they should be responding to shootings, robberies, burglaries, car accidents, and all of the other incidents they don't respond to in a timely manner elsewhere in the city, and leave the traffic tickets in Midtown to the WSU PD. Period.

Dustin,
    Routine traffic stops for legitimate reasons catches people with outstanding warrants, drugs in the vehicle, weapons, etc. The police should continue to make routine traffic stops as a way to find wanted criminals. Responding to a shooting is one way of fighting crime, criminals usually leave the crime scene, to find the criminal suspicious activity must be examined [[traffic stops).

and leave the traffic tickets in Midtown to the WSU PD.
    WSU PD should not be writing tickets to the general public on public streets. Their activities should be tightly restricted to offenses occurring on school property. They should not be responding on domestics unless they occur in a school building, sorority or frat house.

Well per the article this particular officer coerced a female for sex instead of a ticket. I guess it was a slow day and he had some time on his hands...
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    WSU PD should not be writing tickets to the general public on public streets. Their activities should be tightly restricted to offenses occurring on school property. They should not be responding on domestics unless they occur in a school building, sorority or frat house.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Well per the article this particular officer coerced a female for sex instead of a ticket. I guess it was a slow day and he had some time on his hands...
    WHAT?!

Here's the article from post #1 in the thread:
    "DETROIT [[WXYZ) - Wayne State University released a statement Wednesday stating that an allegation of sexual misconduct by a citizen has been made against a Wayne State University police officer. The incident is currently under investigation by the Detroit Police Department with full cooperation of the University police.
    The officer has been suspended without pay pending completion of the investigation."

How do you arrive at an officer coercing a female for sex from an allegation of sexual misconduct??? From the article, for all we know he could have just touched her ass in a pat down for drugs or weapons.

Cite where you got that info from.

Definition of sexual misconduct: It's pretty broad.

http://www.vsu.edu/pages/919.asp

Sexual misconduct is defined as sexual contact without consent by an acquaintance or a stranger and includes: intentional touching without consent, either of the victim or when the victim is forced to touch, directly or through clothing, another person's genitals, breast, groin, thighs or buttocks; rape [[sexual intercourse without consent or whether by an acquaintance or stranger; attempted rape; sodomy [[oral or anal intercourse) without consent; or sexual penetration with an object without consent.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Doesn't WSU as an institution have an interest in keeping the area around the campus safe? I would say yes. Students and staff don't restrict their activities to school buildings only, and the reputation that Midtown has for safety has helped Wayne in the long run. Plus, with the medical school on Canfield, the campus stretches through much of Midtown, so the cops are cruising around the area anyway.

Having lived next door to campus for many years, I know 577-2222 was an added sense of security. In a sense, Midtown is policed like a Detroit suburb, not Detroit. That's certainy a reason Midtown continues to thrive. I've had a lot of contact with Public Safety [[in a business sense, not as a suspect) and I have always found their officers to be professional in every way.

Until the investigation is complete, it's hard to say whether these allegations are true or not. I will say this, it's unbelievable the amount of false allegations made against police. Issue the wrong person a traffic ticket, and you can bet they're going to make a b-line straight to the closest precinct and file a false complaint. It's their way of feeling as though they are getting back at an officer.

While I've managed to avoid most complaints, I have had my fair share. Same holds true on police runs, if the caller doesn't get what they expect, then they will make a false complaint. Explain to a person "Ma'am or sir, there is nothing illegal that happened here, there is nothing to make a report on," and you're often met with "What's your names/badges?"

Remember, these 1,000+ complaints that the feds are constantly on the city to investigate take some serious manpower, manpower in which could be patrolling the streets instead.

I'm not saying this officer isn't possibly guilty of the allegations, as I've found out that criminals are everywhere, and they sneek into our ranks and on into the headlines all too often. We are held to a higher standard, and rightfully so, but our bad seeds are much more widely publicized, and the whole department, as well as officers everywhere, take a much bigger hit than the head of a corporation who embezzled millions.

It's easy to see why long time officers productivity will drop to simply answering runs. They get broken, tired of false allegations, tired of garrity, tired of giving depositions, and occasionally fighting to remain out of prison, or fighting for their life savings in a civil suit.

If this turns out to be a false complaint against this WSU officer, what do you think this will do to his morale? How will he look at supervisors who suspended him? Perhaps most importantly, will it even come out in the papers and news that the allegations were found to be false? What incentive would the officer have to continue to investigate a female driver or student after this? Just my 2 cents.

Supersport - I completely agree with you: It's easy to see why long time officers productivity will drop to simply answering runs. They get broken, tired of false allegations, tired of garrity, tired of giving depositions, and occasionally fighting to remain out of prison, or fighting for their life savings in a civil suit.

I have watched my neighbor, a 65 year old bi-polar and a drunk - make endless accusations against the police. At 50 years of age she was profiled in a Metro Times piece on police brutality because she accused the DPD of having her strip-searched following her third arrest for A &B. She was picked up for awhile by Ron Scott's group because she was willing to say and do ANYTHING for attention. She lost her two lawsuits agianst the DPD and finally even Ron Scott dropped her because she is clearly crazy and kept getting thrown out of her court-watching assignments because of her verbal challenges to judges.
    She didn't stop, though. She called the police hundreds of times on neighbors, leading to just what you described: complaints against officers for derelection of duty that are bogus but are submitted and have to be investigated. She was coached to all this by Scott and his group and provided inside DPD phone numbers to address her complaints, as well. Its all over for her now because Scott dropped her and she doesn't have the clout she once had. But, even though he dropped her, I don't respect Scott and his group because he brings along crazies to his protests to swell his numbers.

WSU police is doing a excellent job stopping preps in the Cass Corridor ghettohoods. Ther are doing what is called OPERATION CLEAN SWEEP! as in sweeping out the DEAD [[C)KRAK HEADS and the mutants so that future WSU students can feel safe going to and fro from classrooms to their studies. Also exoctic businesses can come to corridor to build their shops and students can move to apartments close to campus without moving to the suburbs are staying with their parents as "adult children!" They're maybe some urban glitches in the way but the result is violent street crime is down almose 60% in 2000.

In the meantime, street crime is way up in University of Michigan campuses by 36% since 2000.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

To have a civilization, you must have security.

Neda, I miss you so.

DetroitPole Guest

WSU Police are excellent. I miss living in their patrol area. The key word here is "allegations", though they should be taken very seriously. I know far too many women who have been raped.

What really needs to happen? DPD needs to stop being fucking crossing guards for the Illitches. Pisses me off how many cops are posted at relatively low-traffic corners 4 hours before a game starts. These people can cross the street themselves. And I don't give a shit about making people going to the game feel better. The rest of the city is living in fear in the meantime.

Oh yeah, and for the next suburbanite who bitches about their commuter tax, in return for it you get 1 gross of DPD officers when you go to the Tigers or Red Wings games [[which I'd wager are about 90% suburban audiences).

Suspended without pay... why the without pay part?

LOL! I don't have an ax to grind with WSU policing. See multiple references below.

I've benefited from WSU policing presence in the specific and outlying WSU area. If the woman is making it up that will hopefully be revealed in the pending investigation.

Below are sample news reports [[tv and web) that point to the specifics of the sexual misconduct allegation towards the woman by the officer accused [[I am certain there are more, and will be more info as the investigation goes forth):

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/28021073/detail.html

DETROIT -- A 38-year-old Wayne State University police officer has been charged in connection with the sexual assault of a 22-year-old woman.Gregory Gladden was arraigned on charges of third-degree criminal sexual conduct and misconduct in office. He pleaded not guilty.Prosecutor Kym Worthy said Gladden is accused of pulling the victim over on Wednesday and then taking her in his patrol car to a building on the 900 block of West Warren Avenue and coercing her into performing a sex act.

WSU Public Safety Director Tony Holt said Gladden had been suspended without pay. "He professes his innocence, and I think an examination of this evidence will prove that, " said defense attorney Jeff McCarty. "He was swabbed and we are waiting for the results of that."McCarty said his client will do anything necessary to prove that the incident never happened. Gladden is married with two children.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...police-officer

Investigators are still trying to determine if the female was a WSU student:

http://thesouthend.wayne.edu/index.p...ual_misconduct

http://thesouthend.wayne.edu/index.p...duct_in_office

.... [Prosecutor] Worthy’s office said Gladden stopped a 22-year-old woman at around 12:45 a.m. May 25. They said he then drove her in a police vehicle to a nearby building, where he pressured her for sex.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    WHAT?!

Here's the article from post #1 in the thread:
    "DETROIT [[WXYZ) - Wayne State University released a statement Wednesday stating that an allegation of sexual misconduct by a citizen has been made against a Wayne State University police officer. The incident is currently under investigation by the Detroit Police Department with full cooperation of the University police.

The officer has been suspended without pay pending completion of the investigation."

How do you arrive at an officer coercing a female for sex from an allegation of sexual misconduct??? From the article, for all we know he could have just touched her ass in a pat down for drugs or weapons.

Cite where you got that info from.

Definition of sexual misconduct: It's pretty broad.

http://www.vsu.edu/pages/919.asp

Sexual misconduct is defined as sexual contact without consent by an acquaintance or a stranger and includes: intentional touching without consent, either of the victim or when the victim is forced to touch, directly or through clothing, another person's genitals, breast, groin, thighs or buttocks; rape [[sexual intercourse without consent or whether by an acquaintance or stranger; attempted rape; sodomy [[oral or anal intercourse) without consent; or sexual penetration with an object without consent.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-27-11 at 02:58 AM.

I hear you. These allegations must be investigated, but this kind of thing when it happens is abusive with a tendency to go on uncheck if not addressed. WSU policing presence has been a bonus for the area - and I've observed WSU policing as far north as Clairmount and far west as Linwood. Not sure why they were that far off campus but any police presence is a deterrent to crime to some extent. Henry Ford Hospital has their own patrols which report incidents to DPD as needed. Indeed a good thing. If the specific officer did this he needs to get the boot, so that the officers that do the hard work can continue to do their job.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    WSU Police are excellent. I miss living in their patrol area. The key word here is "allegations", though they should be taken very seriously. I know far too many women who have been raped.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-27-11 at 03:04 AM.

UPDATE: This case is going to trial:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110630-wpms

From link:

The victim testified she was asked to take off her clothes. Gladden, she said, didn't want sexual intercourse. He wanted her to perform oral sex on him.

"He has placed her in a situation where she has no choice but to do what he asks or go to jail," Hagaman-Clark said.

The judge agreed there was sufficient evidence to send the case to trial.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-01-11 at 08:04 AM.

Oh boy...