Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Butterflies / Van Dyke Sports Center - Warren

We used to frequent this place a bunch about 10 years ago when we were in high school & college. We happend to be out on that side of town over the weekend and stopped in for old time's sake. Needless to say, this place hasn't changed a bit, unfortunetely looking even more run down than it was back then.

Does anyone remember this place back in its hey-day? What was the place like when they had the nightclub / disco? When did it actually open?

Supposedly the place was a drive-in before it was built. Not sure how much longer that place is going to stick around, seems like business there is terrible.

I'm surprised that place is still open.

It looks just as it did 25 years ago.

For thirty years beginning in 1955, it was the site of the Van Dyke Drive-in Theater - more information and pics of the theater can be found here on the Water Winter Wonderland web site.

I spent countless evenings there when it was still VD Drive-In circa 1968-1971.

I used to hang out there all the time in highschool in the 90's..somehow i convinced my parents it was a nice place

The sports center didn't replace the drive-in. They were both there when I used to go there often in the early 80s. Haven't been there in 25 years at least.

Interesting, thanks for the link to the old pics.

So it looks like they used to have a lot more property and the drive-in used to be in the area south of the current buildings. Looks like they sold off the land now thats occupied by the car dealers, Fairfield/Candlewood/Comfort Suites hotels.

I guess they've been trying to sell the place hence why they haven't put any money into the joint. Some manufacturing company, big-box, even a movie studio but everything has fallen-through.

That place is just an interesting establishment, you get people of every race & socioeconomic group in there.

I have to say it was pretty cool being able to roll in there at 11pm at night to get some drinks, hit some balls on the range, and play some arcade games.

I remember seeing "Pale Rider" at that drive-in, so that means it was open until at least the Summer of '85. In the early 80's, there must have been 30 Trans-Ams in that lot at all times.

I used to hang out there a lot about 7 years ago. You can get a pitcher and walk around and play games which is pretty lacking around here. Only problem was the place was so gross i would wear latex gloves to play the games.

there needs to be a big family sports center in detroit.. host all types of sports.. basketball, football, baseball.. hockey, lacrosse..

I grew up not far from there. I used to go there in the early to mid eighties when I was in jr. high-high school. The go-carts were great. They said "no crashing" but we never got kicked out. The place was dark and dungeonlike then, and kinda dirty. It was still fun to hit a round of golfballs too. We'd sneak into the drive in theater under the fence. Of course we'd get kicked out. Those were good times. I went back about 5 years ago. Business was way down, and the place was dirtier than I remember. Those were good times.

GUSHI Guest

It is and was and always will be a dump.

My friend's dad worked on The Butterfly Suite as I remember it being called. I'd say that was around 1980-1982. That was when the drive inn was there, batting cages, go carts and the video arcade. I was about 12 or 13 at the time. Roman [[the owner) even asked Rich W. [[my friend's dad) to help with a skunk problem at the drive inn at night. They'd come around to scavenge for food that was laying around. Me Ricky and Rich Sr stayed til everyone left and went around in car jumping out with .22s when we spotted our prey. Shot around 10 of them. Us and the car stunk for days! lol.

So the Van Dyke Sports Center is about to be no more....

They have sold the property to a developer and they are about to construct a new Menards on the property.

It was recently approved by Warren City Council.

Supposedly the Van Dyke Sports Center will be open until about May 15th and then it will close.

I'm actually kind of sad to see it go, it was a throw-back from the past. Just what we need is another big box store, nevermind the fact there are more than enough vacant big boxes already along the Van Dyke corridor, including the near-vacant Tech Plaza at Van Dyke & 12 Mile.

nevermind the fact there are more than enough vacant big boxes already along the Van Dyke corridor, including the near-vacant Tech Plaza at Van Dyke & 12 Mile.

All to true.

About 1973 or so we moved to warren. I went to cousino high.
    I remember going to the drive in. Arcade saloon witch it was first
    known as was a big part of my life in my teens.
    Yes i remember when they put in the disco.
    BGM

I started going to that place back in 1988 and it was a major shithole even then. They never really sunk any money into it, but for a while, it was the only indoor dome around for golfers. I grew up not even a mile from there and everyone usually kept their distance because a really bad crowd would hangout there at night...lots of cop calls to that place on the weekends.

It really isn't the most ideal spot to have a driving range, especially in the age of the long ball. On one side you have an RV storage center and in the back of the range, you have extra parking for a car dealership. If anywhere along Warren's Van Dyke corridor needs a makeover, it is that area.

Anybody remember the arcade at 12 and hover maybe 1975.

I saw this movie at the drive-in

I hung out at the Butterfly for a hot minute back about 7 years ago [[wow time flies). Used to shoot pool with a chick friend who knew one of the managers. we played for free, and I got to enjoy the perks of teaching her how to play pool

RIP, Le Butterfly. I'll miss your ridiculously cheap, sometimes broken arcade games and moldy smells!

Where did the name Butterflies come from???
    I might be imagining this but wasn't there a billboard across Van Dyke from them on the east side that had butterflies[[insects) on it? A vague, possibly imagined image?

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Where did the name Butterflies come from???
    I might be imagining this but wasn't there a billboard across Van Dyke from them on the east side that had butterflies[[insects) on it? A vague, possibly imagined image?
    Actually, it was the Van Dyke Sports Center and the bar was called Butterfly Suite.

Back in the early 80's, a young group called The Inversions provided local entertainment for many, playing one-hit wonders and British-invasion tunes from the 60's.

A highlight of when they began to emerge at their best is reflected in this evening where they played at The Butterfly Suite in Warren, Michigan.

Sample these tracks recently recovered and enhanced for your enjoyment on YouTube after more than 25 years....

Adam Gordon - Guitar
    Gary [[Geru) Gatny - Guitar
    Mark [[Farb) Gatny - Keyboard / Percussion
    Mark [[Moe) Modarski - Drums / Vocals
    Paul Morey - Vocals / Percussion
    Ricky Coburn - Bass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast