Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default NYT Article on Detroit's "Ruins" circa 1995

The funny thing is several of the buildings mentioned have been either rennovated [[Book Cadillac) or demolished [[Hudsons).

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/12/10/us...it.html?src=pm

Too bad they could write almost the same story today... Of course with a few small revisions.

This article was mentioned some years ago on this forum. There was a corresponding debate with people acting like Detroit was Rome 2.0. I tried to find the thread, but I could not. Anyone else remember?

Since 1995, the person who is the focus of the article, Camilo Jose Vergara, has risen in global stature as an urban observer, chronicler and sociologist. He has published 3-4 books and recieved one of those genius grants that brings with it $100,000 a year for five years to do what you want. I know he returns to Detroit a lot, and continues to take photos. The author of the article, James Bennett, is now the editor of the Atlantic magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Too bad they could write almost the same story today... Of course with a few small revisions.
    That's just sad. The article is from ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    That's just sad. The article is from ages ago.
    Yup. I was 12 years old on the article's publish date. I'm knocking on 30 now.

I remember when Comerica Park was being built someone was putting up signs on freeway overpasses saying something like "Stadiums won't save a city". Prophetic!