Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Where do the current Detroit City Council members live?

I know Ken Cockrel Jr. lives in Woodbridge on Avery.

I found this article stating Pugh lives downtown [[http://www.theurbanelife.com/?p=184).

Saunteel Jenkins is in a gated community west of Mt. Elliott cemetery called Campau Farms. [[http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/d...php?blogid=482)

I found this video with a mapquest map of the locations which states they live mostly on the the northwest side and mid/downtown.

http://detroit2020.com/2011/02/17/ho...-neighborhood/

JoAnn Watson lives on the 3700 block of Sturtevant according to this article [[http://www.mlive.com/politics/index....member_jo.html)

Kwame Kenyatta moved from North Rosedale Park to a condo on the east side after walking away from his house [[ http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30311735?GT1=43001 ). Anyone have more specifics?

It will be awesome if most of them have to fight over one seat. Some of them may elect to go at large but only two would make it.

Here are the three I have no idea about:
    Gary Brown
    Andre L. Spivey
    James Tate

The rumor mill is that Brown may challenge Conyers next year. He may have realized that he's done nothing to improve his chances for Mayor. Who knows, I can't remember a time when Conyers faced a real challenge, Brown may raise enough money to make a go of it. Not to mention the fact that now that City Council has its own channel, I'm sure that some creative way will come about for Brown to put out a lot of propoganda that will be passed off as City business.

I am friends with the Tates. They live in Rosedale Park.

I'm not sure that I want to see the fighting over "one seat." There's enough fighting as is in the city.

I lived in Chicago about 20 years ago, and I have thought since then that the ward system would be a good thing for Detroit.

That said, it seems that over the years, many City Council members reside on the Northwest side. In my opinion, the Northwest side has suffered as much as any part of the city from the council's lack of focus anywhere outside downtown. Maybe Northwest Detroit hasn't turned into "prairie", as other parts of the city has. But think of the businesses leaving the Avenue of Fashion and Greenfield/Grand River areas, for example.

I would hope that any new system would ensure that council members are truly dedicated to the well-being of their constituents.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    The rumor mill is that Brown may challenge Conyers next year. He may have realized that he's done nothing to improve his chances for Mayor. Who knows, I can't remember a time when Conyers faced a real challenge, Brown may raise enough money to make a go of it. Not to mention the fact that now that City Council has its own channel, I'm sure that some creative way will come about for Brown to put out a lot of propoganda that will be passed off as City business.
    He shouldn't have to raise any money. He won all that money in the whistle-blower case vs Kwame. He should be on easy street.

Laphoque,
    Gary Brown resides in Sherwood Forest. That is my poll location and he shows up pretty regularly.

Thanks! So it seems to me that Brown, Spivey and Tate will be in the same district. Cockrel & Watson very well could be depending if Boston Edison ends up part of a northern or southern district. Pugh might be in that one as well depending which way downtown goes. And depending on what part of the east side Kenyatta is on he could end up with Jenkins.

It will be interesting to see how the council draw up their districts and if they manage to break up northwest Detroit in such a way that they all can run in their own districts.

I also wonder who will run at large. Pugh and Brown as the highest vote getters last time could be the likeliest to do so. [[http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...t_city_council)

This should make them have to work harder for those votes.

DetroitPole Guest

I like a lot of the current council members, and I know its a dead horse, but it really is a shame that no one represents the far east side, the northeast side, the southeast side, or the southwest side. I mean, no one lives outside of NW Detroit or greater downtown! I also wish there was more diversity on the council - I realize though that the racial makeup of the council makes sense in terms of the city as a whole. I liked Mohammed Odkie though, I thought he was a great candidate, and I don't doubt that he being a Muslim and Arab could have been factors that cost him the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    He shouldn't have to raise any money. He won all that money in the whistle-blower case vs Kwame. He should be on easy street.

He's going to have to spend a lot more running for Congress than he did for City Council. I don't know if he's ready to spend all of his money on one race.