Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Reach Out Job Search Guest

Default "We are a Detroit-Based Company"....umm, not really!

It is amazing that companies whom have so-called "planted roots" in Detroit and say that they are centrally located in the city, are really housed in suburban locations.

Considering the City of Detroit resources are under close financial constants at this time....I wonder how certain companies can receive city of Detroit Governmental funding, when they are not physically operated, where they claim?

Is there someone in the City of Detroit Government departments that should be contacted, to give this information too?

Can you name one of these companies that allegedly claim to be "centrally located in the city"?

There are a host of definitions that factor into the Detroit Based family. A company may have it's headquarters elsewhere and still have an affiliate in Detroit. Percentage of employees, number of executives and other issues regarding Detroit factor in as well.

Detroit as in Metro Detroit area. Face it, Detroit needs the 'burbs more than the 'burbs need Detroit. Instead of building walls embrace the area, the REGION needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Can you name one of these companies that allegedly claim to be "centrally located in the city"?
    I wish I could but trust me, this information is true. I believe I have found out what authority to contact. Thanks for your question!

@Kraig...Thanks for your reply. It helps!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Face it, Detroit needs the 'burbs more than the 'burbs need Detroit.
    Then why is the business claiming they're a Detroit-based company versus a suburban [[or Troy, Southfield, Auburn Hills, Livonia, etc.) company?

Face it, the 'burbs need Detroit's stance as a big city more than Detroit needs the 'burbs' stance as the 'burbs.

Contacting a city government department... then what? Action? Fast response?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Then why is the business claiming they're a Detroit-based company versus a suburban [[or Troy, Southfield, Auburn Hills, Livonia, etc.) company?

Face it, the 'burbs need Detroit's stance as a big city more than Detroit needs the 'burbs' stance as the 'burbs.
    Exactly. I guess we ought to change the region's name to Metro Oakland, Michigan.

Maybe they meant "Metro Detroit based" versus "Metro Tokyo based" or "Metro Shanghai based", somehow thinking that people care.

Could someone report on whether or not they "look like us"? Thanks.

My reading of the OP is that some kind of non-Detroit entity is receiving payments that are conditional upon that entity being located in Detroit. Finding this upsetting, the OP reached out for assistance on what to do with this knowledge. Evidently, the OP received the necessary assistance.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

313WX and English, what ever gets you through sleep at night....

Its it just me or have you not listed such company.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Its it just me or have you not listed such company.
    I didn't see where they did that, either. But hey, maybe they're looking to spring a trap.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Detroit as in Metro Detroit area. Face it, Detroit needs the 'burbs more than the 'burbs need Detroit. Instead of building walls embrace the area, the REGION needs it.
    Can you provide any evidence of this besides your own prejudices?

I would say both "need" each other [[whatever that is supposed to mean) pretty equally [[assuming that can even be quantified to begin with) but I guess none of that fits into your world view, does it?

Also, what does "need" mean, anyway? Economic need? The suburbs could probably survive. But if you obliterated the City of Detroit and all the cool stuff thats in it, and the region became Metro Oakland, I don't really care who you are, this area would absolutely BLOW. In terms of identity and amenities, I would say the suburbs "need" Detroit more.

We could also try to figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I'm about as pro-Detroit as they come but I know of virtually no companies that claim to be "in Detroit" that aren't in Detroit, besides the most notorious offender by everyone's favoritest smelly, decaying Confederate-flag-loving Romeo native Kid Rock. "Made in Detroit" is "Made in Clarkston." As one poster pointed out a while back, and I thought was a great assessment, there is a difference between being a booster and being a poseur.

Of course it is better for a company to be located in Metro Detroit [[and I believe for Metro Detroiters to support) than Metro-somewhere-else, but it really does matter if a company has an HQ and employees in the City of Detroit. We can be pro-region but can't overlook the reality that part of Detroit's demise is due to the massive flight of capital from the city, largely to the suburbs.
    Last edited by DetroitPole; May-25-11 at 12:50 PM.

Detroitpole. Most of it is my bias but it doesn't take a nuclear scientist to figure out a city that might be in receivership with an EFM would lean heavily on cities that surround it in order to survive. There are not enough businesses [[and less still) to support Detroit that are within the city's boundaries. Taxes can't be cut because services are needed for residents [[or else they will have to go up).

Without suburbanites spending money in Detroit at sporting events, clubs and resaurants where would Detroit be? They would have lost all teams to the 'burbs if the subrubanites didn't support them; how many bars would be open downtown today if that were the case? How many resaturants?

The fact is the mean income of Detroit families is much lower than the surrounding suburbs [[not including the declining inner ring suburbs like Oak Park and such...). Considering some of the results of literacy tests in Detroit; the graduation rate and the DPS system itself how could the majority of Detroiters even keep the city afloat?

While I do agree that both need each other to some degree; I would say Detroit needs the 'burbs a lot more.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    My reading of the OP is that some kind of non-Detroit entity is receiving payments that are conditional upon that entity being located in Detroit. Finding this upsetting, the OP reached out for assistance on what to do with this knowledge. Evidently, the OP received the necessary assistance.

Nothing to see here. Move along.
    This bears repeating...