Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Deer Sighting

Default Deer Sighting

Trying to cross Schaefer between Schoolcraft and Lyndon

I was taking the kids to school and was shocked when my daughter asked if what was ahead was a deer. It was a small doe trying to cross Schaefer where the DDOT Coolidge terminal is located. She ran back towards Danny's Used Auto Parts. [[the junkyard)

After checking a map I assume the deer wandered down the tracks along Fullerton east from Rouge Park and went north along the tracks that run behind the junkyard. Crossing over 96 of course!

Saw one by 1300 Lafayette yesterday!

In Rosedale Park last Fall, our neighbor looked out his kitchen window and saw a deer in his backyard. The deer stayed there for about two hours, grazing and resting. Then apparently decided to move on. Assuming the deer was from Rouge Park, we discussed how the deer might have found its way to our neighborhood, which would involve crossing some busy highways, including Schoolcraft, Outer Drive, the Jeffries and Schoolcraft.

I saw one Saturday morning on the 375 north service drive at Larned. He was heading toward the river.

I thought I saw one [[unfortunately dead) on I-94 Westbound by Conner on the left side...I thought it was a dog at first but looking back I saw deer ears.

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    In Rosedale Park last Fall, our neighbor looked out his kitchen window and saw a deer in his backyard. The deer stayed there for about two hours, grazing and resting. Then apparently decided to move on. Assuming the deer was from Rouge Park, we discussed how the deer might have found its way to our neighborhood, which would involve crossing some busy highways, including Schoolcraft, Outer Drive, the Jeffries and Schoolcraft.

Eliza Howell could be the origin of this deer making it a much easier trek.

Thanks, Detroit Planner...that's a much more logical explanation.

Around a year or so ago, I saw someone clearing a dead animal from I-75 & the Davidson. Thought it was a big dog until I saw the hooves

A few years ago, I saw a deer crossing the Southfield using the Rotunda overpass. Seemed to be completely oblivious to the cars driving past.

It was walking west and I assume it was heading for the large area there on the SW corner where Ford pulled down a building some years ago and now the land is filled with nothing but sunflowers.

[[I've also seen coyotes in this area.)