Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Deputy Mayor Resigns

I could be wrong......but I smell the beginnings of a EFM in Detroits future... Okay kids its time to climb on board the I like it or not train.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...vel-departures

I think it's another indication that Dave Bing is struggling as mayor. Thirty top officials have left in his two years in office. For what it's worth, Charles Pugh, who certainly has not been overly critical of Bing, says the administration is "falling apart." I'm not a fan of Rick Snyder's policies, but compare that businessman/politician with Detroit's businessman/politician. Snyder at least has some new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I think it's another indication that Dave Bing is struggling as mayor. Thirty top officials have left in his two years in office. For what it's worth, Charles Pugh, who certainly has not been overly critical of Bing, says the administration is "falling apart." I'm not a fan of Rick Snyder's policies, but compare that businessman/politician with Detroit's businessman/politician. Snyder at least has some new ideas.
    Good point. While a lot of people are realizing that Mayor Bing is trying to run the City the way he ran the Bing Group, what they're not realizing is that the Bing Group is an outdated business model that failed miserably. It survived through subsidies only, it never produced a profit, and if so barely. So now, we have a city that is intended to produce public services being ran like a business that was intended to produce a profit and never could.

The EFM is going to go to town on the City of Detroit.

Is it the above or is it that the same old business practices of Detroit past is not tolerated any longer. Therefore these people are leaving because they aren't getting what they were used to getting.

I don't think an EFM is indicative of failure on Bing's part. In fact I believe an EFM should have been brought in during KK's 2nd term [[or sooner).

A lot of the same bullying tactics and corruption that went on under Kwame is still going on under Bing. Karen Dumas is now the new Christine Beatty [[I'm not saying they have a personal relationship going on, I just mean she's calling a lot of shots and anyone that doesn't see things her way won't last long)

The people that were getting over on the City before are still getting over on the City now because Bing has kept Kwame's people in the departments that spend the most money. Not to mention, that Bobby Ferguson has now been replaced by DTE, which will command far more in hook ups than ole Bobby did. Hell, don't forget that Bing himself was a friend in Kwame's "Friends and Family Plan". And he's benefitting even more now that he's the mayor. He's been having the DEGC/DDA suspend virtually all of his debts. Which is worth far more than the salary that everyone thinks he's giving up.

As far as an EFM, it's going to happen. Bing, Snyder and the state legislature didn't go through all of this trouble of having the law changed, specifically, to allow Bing to possibly be the financial manager, to not use it. It's just a matter of time.

Start waving bye-bye to DWSD now.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post

As far as an EFM, it's going to happen. Bing, Snyder and the state legislature didn't go through all of this trouble of having the law changed, specifically, to allow Bing to possibly be the financial manager, to not use it. It's just a matter of time.
    I was thinking along the same lines. Do you think Bing will be the EFM as well as mayor ? If so doesn't it create a conflict of interest that could be challenged in court ? Do you think Green's sudden resignation means he knew the EFM is happening ?

Sorry for all the questions but this latest stuff fascinates me. I don't think Bing is crooked like KK, but I know he has a terrible managing style that makes him difficult to work for and difficult to keep people who aren't "yes people" around him.

Now I see the dengeration of Detroit Black Control and the politicians in Lansing are applauding their mistakes.

Default Keep lobbin' them change grenandes, Bing!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Is it the above or is it that the same old business practices of Detroit past is not tolerated any longer. Therefore these people are leaving because they aren't getting what they were used to getting.
    Good point. I would agree that the shakeups are a good thing. If Bing isn't getting the results he wants, his aides are looking for a new job. How often has this happened in the past? I can't recall Kwame, or any city council members, shaking up their staff. There have been far too many hangers-on and underachievers in City Hall. Seems to me that city council comes across as bratty, gossiping hens that are attempting to pile on Bing in the Detnews.com article.
    Last edited by Zozo; May-24-11 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

Saul Green is a a really professional person. I doubt he's just jumping ship before the EFM steps in. There is a good theory on detroituncovered.com. Hard to imagine it could be true, but it is a possible explanation for why Karen Dumas is still around since the KK administration.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I was thinking along the same lines. Do you think Bing will be the EFM as well as mayor ? If so doesn't it create a conflict of interest that could be challenged in court ? Do you think Green's sudden resignation means he knew the EFM is happening ?

Sorry for all the questions but this latest stuff fascinates me. I don't think Bing is crooked like KK, but I know he has a terrible managing style that makes him difficult to work for and difficult to keep people who aren't "yes people" around him.
    To answer your questions in order:

Yes, the portion of the state law that prohibited him from becoming the EFM was removed for just that purpose.

Yes. But, who has the political will and funds to do it? The Detroit delegation in Lansing is woefully outnumbered. Most smaller communities that would be effected don't have the financing to fight. Seeing how the Law Department answers to the Mayor, that pretty much leaves just City Council to fight. The five newer members are more for a consent decree which is really just a deal that the Mayor will be able to kick the shit out of the unions and retirees and leaves the Council budgets alone. Never mind the fact that absent the Council's authority and responsibility of approving the mayor's plans and budgets, they won't have a reason to actually exist. Therefore, an EFM/Mayor will probably eliminate all of Council's divisions first and then start transitioning the remaining resources into the council by district model that will be adopted by the voters.

Saul Green knows the EFM is coming, eventually. That's not too much of a problem for him. His problem is that he was really in over his head as far as the job went and constantly being undermined by Kwame's holdovers and Bing allowing it didn't help.

Bing isn't crooked like Kwame. But in some ways, he's worse. He and his crew have enough wisdom and sophistication to take far more than Kwame and his crew did. Whereas, Kwame went for the crooked deal here and the crooked deal there as far as the Pension Boards and Buidling Demolitions, Bing is going for taking the entire Pension system and is going to give all of PLD's resources to DTE and pay them at the same time.

A good way to put it is, Kwame and crew= 3 card monty, Bing and crew=the Keating Five.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Saul Green is a a really professional person. I doubt he's just jumping ship before the EFM steps in. There is a good theory on detroituncovered.com. Hard to imagine it could be true, but it is a possible explanation for why Karen Dumas is still around since the KK administration.
    Given the dysfunctional nature of Detroit the theory could very well be true. I would not dismiss it.

to save money, don't hire a new deputy mayor. split up and delegate responsibilities to other staff..